S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 4.3 5 speed extended cab s10. My plans are to swap a 1994 2jzge with the N/A supra 5 speed. Bring on the 2JZ swap memes :rolleyes:

I bought the truck out of a field for $700 with no plans of doing a engine swap. I did a tune up, rebuilt the throttle body, and ran it. My buddy change his mind on a 2jz swap into his 240sx and took a more unique route. He talked me into buying the engine and doing a swap in the truck. I bought the engine from him for $300. He already wired it to be stand alone.

My plans are for 500hp with a turbo on e85 or e100. I want the truck to handle most of all. (boost will be last, sorry)

The day I brought her home. Sorry the picture wouldnt rotate.

Here is a video of the day I got it running.
My buddy was wanting a fire tire thats why he was spraying PB Blaster on it.

Engine and trans out.

Now from measuring I found that the front oil sump assembly was not going to work with the truck. After searching Criagslist and waiting I found a guy selling Supra and Lexus stuff. Drove there and came back with 2 transmissions, a bellhousing, flywheel, the entire Supra rear sump oil pan assembly and a guage cluster I may or may not use. Total cost = $330.

I have no other truck so I had to use the car

The engine

Current ECM set up.

The rear sump after a bath in the parts washer at work.

Beautiful low miles engine.

Slowly doing cleaning and painting waiting on parts.

Thats basically where im at now. If the weather holds up today ill be doing a test fit with the engine and trans. I want the engine as far back as possible, so the firewall may get cut.

Hate it or love it, in the end its my truck :D

·
Boozebag
9,111 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to go for the challenge like this.
That enigne is way long... you may have to cut the firewall.

I considered doing a Chevy 292 swap into a Dime, but the damn engine is longer than the whole engine area.
The 2JZ is the bags, and can stomp some serious power. We have had several on the dyno putting out 500+ easy.

Have you test fitted this yet?

Subd baby. I'll be watching.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2jz (with accessories, no fan) is the length of the 4.3 with the fan. It will fit, just to close for comfort. I plan on cutting the firewall anyways because I want it as far back as possible with handling in mind.

Im changing the timing belt right now. Its a pain in the butt. The bolt is torqued to 240 foot pounds with Locktite. Took a 5 foot cheater pipe to remove.

Looks like the weather will clear up tomorrow and I will be able to set the engine/trans in. Ill post pics before I cut to show the room between the firewall and radiator support.

·
Boozebag
9,111 Posts
I'll be curious to see how this fits. There are a few 2JZs floating around BR for sale.

·
Registered
243 Posts
watching this one, been waiting for someone to drop a straight six in a dime and a six doesnt get much meaner than a 2jz!

·
DR #2223
38 Posts
Looks like I need to make an excuse to get down to Houston once this is done. :)

After moving the engine back and putting the new rear suspension in, do you have any other plans to reduce weight or improve the balance?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright the engine is in!!!! But with one huge down fall for those who want to daily it. I screwed up measuring somewhere at some point. When I first measured I found that the front sump would have worked. It would put the engine more forward but would have to be up higher to clear the sway bar and steering.

First thing first trans on to the engine.
MY buddy jose with the transmission, aka man purse.

When putting the engine in we found that the factory driver side engine mount has to be removed which requires the oil filter housing to be removed. It has a o-ring that will have to be replaced.

Next we the oil pan was hitting the factory engine mounts on the frame. Thet have a nut on the back side and instead of fighting to put a wrench through the coil springs we broke out the grinder! :rock:

next we removed the brake booster just to get it out of the way.

Forcing it in

Ok here is where is gets interesting, since i thought the engine would fit with the oil pan I figured we would be able to sit it in without cutting the fire wall. I was wrong, so we unbolted the cab with ease thanks to living in texas with no snow and road salt :p then lifted it and drug it back a few inches. I sat the engine down and put a jack stand under the transmission. Because the cab is loose and may have moved side to side I cannot 100% tell you right now if the factory brake booster will work.

The engine location is perfect for what i want though. Its really low and far back. Not a single cylinder is hanging over the front.

Now I need to cut the firewall and move the cab back forward and down. It looks like engine is going to be in a good amount which means one funky looking shifter lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I need to make an excuse to get down to Houston once this is done. :)

After moving the engine back and putting the new rear suspension in, do you have any other plans to reduce weight or improve the balance?
Im gutting the interior right now. But sadly in the end i doubt there will be any decrease in weight due to the planned 10 point rollcage and turbo with intercooler. Goal weight is 2900 lbs with the closest i can get to 50/50 weight distribution. Buth thats hard in a truck.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
please do all your measurements before you cut you're cab. if you trim trim trim, it may be alot harder to rebuild then to just cut a strip out of your trans tunnel and raise or move the whole thing back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was unable to cut the firewall this weekend mostly due to me forgetting my cut off wheel at work, secondly, I cant lift the cab my self. As soon as I can get a few friends over again to give me a hand (gonna try to bribe with a 24 pack :beer: ) ill continue to post pics.

As far as I can see, the only main issues with this swap is if you dont want to cut the fire wall (with the front or the rear sump you wil have too some regardless) it may not be for you. Looking at where the exhaust is I believe I can run a header from the lexus SC 300. Like I said boost is last, im waiting on my dads turbo BBF fox body project to make a little progress. If his turbo is to small, which he thinks it is, this guy will be getting a nice 88mm turbo :rock: .

·
Boozebag
9,111 Posts
I was figuring there would be trouble with the oil pan. That seems to be the biggest problem with any enigne conversion. At least that's what I've found. Most of the other problems can be overcome with fabrication.
Oil pans require cutting the pan, frame or firewall - as in your case.

You can make anything fit in any vehicle... just depend on how involved you want to become. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
if you dont have to cut and weld it aint custom! lookin good so far it fits in there better than i expected, for some reason i thought it was a longer block than it is

1 - 20 of 78 Posts