S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not in this section of the forum much any more.

I'm at a point where I am tired of working on my noma, since I don't have the time to go wheeling much right now.

Went and did some work for a guy and He offered me a truck if I wanted it. Who could turn down a free truck? Went and looked at to to check it out and see what it was, and how much of a headache it might be. the following week end I brought it home.

Its a 69 GMC no engine or Trans and most of the sheet metal is in decent shape. At least decent from a farm truck stand point. Had to stuff it in my tiny Garage since I cant have it outside with the 4 cars that already take up what ever little driveway there was.

Its a tight fit with that long bed on there, Had to cut the rear bumper off to have any room to move around it if i needed to

·
Resident *******
11,266 Posts
what are your plans for it? any yet? great score BTW.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the bed off, which in this tiny space by my self was entertaining to say the least. It did give more working room though.

Followed byt the rest of the body.

Spent a few hours with a hammer and dolly working the dents out of the grill, its not quite there yet, but it would pass if I had to put it on right now.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunday, The wife told me to go and play, so like the good husband I am I obliged. was planning on pushing this off untill my solo day off. but must do as the wife says.

So time for a trim. Some people will be mad at me cutting up a perfectly good long bed, but at the same time I don't really care. I never intend to use this truck for any real work, and my wife refuses to drive it if it is so long, since I want her to enjoy it as well. Sectioned 12" from the frame and cut 8" of the rear rails, this has been done so many times over the years just google it if you're curious.

Moving the cab mount back 12" as well to correct for the shortening.

It took about 6 hrs to complete, most of the time was just moving around everything. I need a bigger garage.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that its short bed length, I had to make a decision on bedsides, and since I refuse to buy new bedsides, it was either shorten mine or find some that were already short.

Picked up some partially finished bedsides, they guy decided to buy new ones after getting this far. so good for me in a way, going to need a bit of tweaking though.

Next part of the frame rework is a Z cut. since I am still cheap and don't want to spend the money on a drop member, I'll do it the old fashioned way. With out this the front end would always be 3" higher than the rear when Laid out.

This took a bit more courage to do than the sectioning, Since I want the wheel to be centered, I have to go forward 1" and up 3", and it has to match side to side. that is a small bit of margin to get cadiwumpus.

Started this monday after work, by the time I called it quits this is where it was at.

Good thing I saved a few boxes from work, there is going to be a lot of cardboard templates.

AS of tonight I have once side nearly finished, then still have the other side to do, and lower the front section of the frame, while shortening it 1". Hopefully my 4 link kit will be here Tomorrow.

·
Boozebag
10,316 Posts
WOW! Ambitious start to this project!
I also have a few of these frames - both coil and leaf rear ends long and shortys..

LS, Small block, big block, diesel?
Have you ever seen the GMC V12?
I have a line on a low mileage example that I will be buying for some future project.
Nice work!

·
murse
13,206 Posts
Dann you don't mess around. I guess you can't though when the wife says go play. Haha. Good looking start man!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suicidal, It is going to be bagged. I have never had a bagged ride, and figure its time to try it out.

Mad MAx, the current planisa 6.0/4l80e combo. however if I come across a good deal I will go that route. I'm trying to keep costs in a reasonable area.

Got the front frame horns moved on my day off, was going to start the rear section, but I need to go buy some steel. cant setup the links as the ride height is going to be inside the notch, and the frame is in the way right now.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
grill looks great! I am assuming you are going to keep it chrome?
yes, I think they look weird with a painted grill. I am planning on switching to a 67 hood to reg rid of the outer trim around the grill. Most of the factory chrome on this will be going back on.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to look at a cab today, over all its better than mine, the floor supports are in good shape, the floor over all is better than mine. Worked out a trade for swapping a couple engines for the cab complete with doors, and interior minus the seat. It is a factory AC cab as well so Should keep me from buying a vintage air setup and running the stock setup instead. guess I need to bust some ass on this frame and get it ready.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.