S-10 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 320 Posts

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
pics or banned
ok fine, here you go.

To start, some pics I took of my daughter last night :)

And pics I just grabbed of the tank. I'm not going to be able to pressure test it because my boss yelled at me for working on personal projects at work. I'll test it at home over the weekend most likely. Like I said... turned out AWESOME

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
tisk tisk lol looks great
Yeah it all stemmed from me using the grinder on lunch break yesterday for like 5 min to cut the legs off and the safety guy walked in and busted me for only having safety glasses on. Apparently it's a 'safety requirement' of the company to wear safety glasses AND a face shield when doing ANY grinding (which seems rediculous to me and everybody I talked to out in the shop who say they only use the shield when they might get hit in the face with the sparks). So needless to say, he then asked what I was doing and when I told him it was a personal project he told me he couldn't allow me to continue 'for safety reasons' and then today he ratted me out to my boss (he's so focused on safety all the time that he doesn't realize he pisses a lot of people off by doing certain things) so my boss told me no more work of any type in the shop, not even putting air in my tires :rolleyes: Of course, he reiterated that this only applies to me, as all the guys in the shop have all the proper training to use all the tools out there

·
Inferno Fab
4,441 Posts
Wow that's pretty shitty.. I didn't know there was a training course on how to use an angle grinder or an air compressor hose.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Wow that's pretty shitty.. I didn't know there was a training course on how to use an angle grinder or an air compressor hose.
I know, right? My boss just has the mentality of 'you're an Engineer, you belong in the office' even though with the MET degree I have we're trained to be extremely hands-on

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Spots in the tank that were leaking have been fixed :)

Next step: Mount it and the ViAir

I'm thinking I may run a full manual height control system like Semi trucks run if/when I bag this. That way there will be no valves to worry about. It would be rather easy to do a 'lay out when parked' over ride on it so that's what I'm thinking I might do. Until then the air management will support filling tires and I might even throw my impact and an air line in the little cubby area underneath the mat in the back, so that if you ever have to change a tire it's super easy. And maybe train horns. And maybe air ride towing controls... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the possibilities are endless :evilg:

·
I make pneumatics
2,602 Posts
Your boss needs to get his head out of his rear end. I'm an MET also, but thankfully my boss has me managing our machine shop and lets me use any of the tools as I please.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Your boss needs to get his head out of his rear end. I'm an MET also, but thankfully my boss has me managing our machine shop and lets me use any of the tools as I please.
Yeah, we don't have a machine shop unfortunately. Just a weld shop that includes a drill press and 2 horizontal band saws. I wish I was managing a machine shop...

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
A little more of an update... the wife has a wedding shower Saturday from noon to 3pm and her Mom is picking her up, plus she wants the baby to nap that entire time since we have a family party in the afternoon/at night. So I will have the TrailBlazer to myself for 3 hours, and I plan to get the tank and ViAir mounted :)

And I also designed the full manual air ride setup that I want to run on the truck (when I say manual I mean no electrical/electronics, although it is a height controlled system, which some would term 'automatic'). It consists of no switches or gauges, and is fully manual other than 3 electric valves that allow it to lay out when parked. 4 manual height control valves (like semi's have) and 4 check valves round out the system so that when the ignition turns on (either via remote start or by turning the key) the truck will raise to ride height and stay there. Then when one of the function buttons on the keyless entry remote is pushed the truck will lay out (and I have an over-ride built into it where it won't lay out the front if the wheels are turned :) ). It's as simple and fool-proof as it can get, so my wife isn't annoyed by it or has to remember to do anything special besides just drive it. Having the dump built into the remote means if she doesn't want to lay it out she doesn't have to (and I doubt she really ever would), but I can lay it out whenever I want. Seems to be the best way to go about bagging my wife's vehicle IMO :D

·
i own a short bus
519 Posts
have you ever checked out tbssowners.com? there is lots of info there fo sho
i am lookin at lowering my tbss really soon also

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
have you ever checked out tbssowners.com? there is lots of info there fo sho
i am lookin at lowering my tbss really soon also
Yeah, I've popped on there from time to time and checked it out. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I'll skip the lowering and go straight to bagging it with the manual height control valves. With the way it's set up it would allow me to still lay out without sacrificing the functionality of my 4wd system since it would always be at ride height when driving

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Thanks man! No progress in the past couple of weeks. My birthday and my wife's birthday are a week apart, so this time of year things get kinda busy between that and Easter.

I have the tank and compressor ready to go on, just have to figure out how to mount it all and then get it plumbed and wired. The next step will be to set up air ride towing controls, which I plan to put on both this and my Sonoma, because I want to set my crew cab up to be able to be towed and the air ride on that controlled from the tow vehicle.

Once that's all set up the next thing I'll do is bag the rear with the mechanical height control valves. I want to get this done before Camp N Drag because I'll most likely be towing a trailer with the crewcab on it behind this, and whenever I've put that much weight behind it the thing squats like mad, so with the rear air and leveling valves it will adjust itself to not sag/squat when towing.

Also in the near future for this (hopefully before CnD) I will be doing brakes on this truck. Our front pads wore out and the stock GM pads have no life indicator on them, so when they're about worn out they just get to the point where it's metal on metal and destroy the rotor. For now I threw a cheap $20 AutoZone set of pads on it (and found out that the combination of the stock size brakes with the 20" SS wheels meant that I didn't even have to take the wheels off to change the pads... SCORE!) Hopefully before the show in July I plan to get a full set of Drilled/Slotted CTS-V 14" rotors and re-drill them for the TB bolt pattern, then make brackets to space the stock calipers out to fit and paint them red with black bridges like I did on the Sonoma (eventually I want to get a full set of C6 Corvette Z06 6piston/4piston calipers to go with the 14" CTS-V rotors, but at $1700 for the set it's not something that's very high on the to-do list)

So in a nutshell, that's all the items on the To-Do list for this thing. Of course, I'm always on the look out for SS bumpers to complete my SS conversion, but the cost of them plus the inherent cost of painting everything is leaving me to push that farther down the mod list vs items that have more practicality (such as the rear bags and the big brakes)

121 - 140 of 320 Posts