S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

I finally decided to start a thread for my/my wife's 2005 TrailBlazer. It's a silver LS 4wd with the 4.2 I6 and had 38k on it when we bought it in December '08 (it has about 67k on it now). Last summer I scored a set of SS 20s for it but the tires were kinda nasty so last October I put new Eagle RS-A's on it. Recently I've gotten bitten by the custom bug and have been buying a few parts here and there for it, so I decided to start a thread on it.

Here's a pic of it stock:

And with the SS wheels:

The thread title is because this truck is my wife's daily driver, and she sees no need for it to be anything other than stock (she didn't like that I spend money on the wheels, but she's gotten over it over time. And we get a lot of compliments on how much better it looks). So as I do things to it I will be doing them at times when she's not around, and without her knowing that I've done them, and then we'll see how long it is before she notices :)

First things first, I've always wanted to do a full SS 'clone' conversion since getting the rims. I've never really pursued it much though but I happen to come across an SS grille on eBay for $100 so I snatched that up

The guy selling this also had an auction for the SS mirrors (full power, heated, with blinkers) which I found out through the forum at TrailVoy.com will plug and play on my truck that already has power mirrors (the signal wires are already in the door harness, and the heated function is linked to the rear window defrost button). So I picked those up for another $51

Lastly, I had gotten ahold of the guy selling these things to see if he could ship them together to save me some $ and when talking to him I asked if he had any other parts and luckily for me he had all the SS wheels (which I don't need) and 1 of them still had a good/undamaged tire with about 65% tread mounted on it (his TB had been rear ended hard and totalled and he was parting it out. So the 3 bad tires had already been taken off the rims). Well I had always thought that I'd like to have a 5th SS wheel to put in the spare location, so I picked that up off of him for another $100.

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for what I want to do after these mods (the grille won't be going on until I have the bumpers to go with it) but for now this is all. Post up your comments/concerns, and I'll make sure I let you know when the wife discovers these things :)

I can just hear it now... "Hun? Did the mirrors on the truck always have blinkers in them?" :haha:

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Good luck, and I"m sure she'll notice pretty quickly. My parents notice pretty much everything I've done to my truck, and some things were very subtle.

BTW, why clone a SS unless you drop the LSX in it as well.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck, and I"m sure she'll notice pretty quickly. My parents notice pretty much everything I've done to my truck, and some things were very subtle.

BTW, why clone a SS unless you drop the LSX in it as well.
I plan on turboing the I6 and dropping a 5 speed out of a Colorado in it (someday) :evilg:

·
2.2 Auto FTW
2,957 Posts
I <3 not so common shit, like a TBSS clone with a twin hairdryer I6 and 5 speed! Do it

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha... the motor/trans stuff will be a long ways down the road. Like when it no longer serves as the wife's Daily. And there's a lot of work and electrical BS involved with that too so I have a lot of researching/reading to do before anything like that happens.

One step at a time... :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you gonna try to lower it? Painting the handles and getting rid of the side trim would really help smooth out the look of it but she would definitely notice.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you gonna try to lower it? Painting the handles and getting rid of the side trim would really help smooth out the look of it but she would definitely notice.
Yes I am planning to lower it but I'm not sure if I will just go straight for bagging it because to lower a TB any decent amount is almost as expensive as bagging. And I have a few tricks up my sleeve for keeping the front diff/shafts and being bagged :)

And yes, one of the next mods will be to de-badge it and get rid of the side trim and when I take it to a bodyshop to get the bumpers/grille for the SS conversion painted I will also get the rocker covers painted and either paint or shave the handles as well as a few other paint/body mods. But the bodyshop trip will probably have to be after she stops daily driving it and it becomes my daily

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
i think your wife might notice if you swap in a five speed haha.

sick project, im pumped to see more of it!

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think your wife might notice if you swap in a five speed haha.

sick project, im pumped to see more of it!

Haha yeah she'd notice that lol

But like I said before... that wouldn't happen until she gets a new daily and the truck became my daily

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gonna finish the other 2 first?
Sonoma will be driving before any 'major' mods happen to the TB (like turbo/trans swap), but the '91 may or may not be driving by then (but I'd like to think it would). But yes, I plan to work on them all... not just one or the other or the other lol

I find I work better when I have several projects to work on so that if I lose motivation on one I have the others still to work on and there's always something new and fresh. My main focus right now is to get the Sonoma driving so that I can get it out of my garage (and drive it!) and get the '91 and the frame table in there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
great project... if you have any questions about anything I can answer em

my daily driver/ project is an 03 Trailblazer LT :D

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great project... if you have any questions about anything I can answer em

my daily driver/ project is an 03 Trailblazer LT :D

Sounds good man, thanks :tup:

I've also found the forum over at TrailVoy.com to be very helpful as well... those guys know a lot about these trucks ranging from motors to suspension to electronics, etc etc

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took apart the drivers door last night and connected the new blinker mirror... Everything is plug and play and works perfectly :D

I am going to smooth and paint the entire mirror (not just the cap that is already painted) before I install them.

I'm also thinking I might make a trip to the u-pull-it and get a set of factory textured gray rocker covers and also a full set of door handles to also smooth and paint them as well.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a little update for this project...

Friday night my wife will be going out with some friends and I'm pretty sure I've talked her into letting me drop her off/pick her up so while she is gone I am hoping to take off the roof rack as well as remove the badging and bump-strips. Just need to get some Goo-Gone and borrow her hair dryer :)

And I want to correct what I said in my last post about the junkyard parts... I'm hoping to find PAINTED rocker covers as well as painted handles and also a pair of D pillar covers as well to send to the local bodyshop for paint matching once I have the entire mirror housings smoothed

1 - 20 of 320 Posts