S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Folks,

i am looking to do a 5.7 swap on my 4x4 97 s10 with the 4.3 and 4l60e. i have read a ton on the v8 thread, i am a little unclear on a couple things if you guys might be able to help me out.

1. im pretty sure i have the black box ecu...well because its a black box. but one of the numbers on top starts with 0411. i thought the 0411 computers were silver. from what i understand i can still run the black box as long as i get it re-flashed, i just cant run fans on it. am i correct about this?

2. i have been reading a ton on this EFI TPI MPFI SCPI. i know this is the fuel injection type, but how do i know what i have. i have noticed alot of the stickies say TPI to TPI. if i pulled a 96-03 5.7 is this TPI?

if these have been clarified in a post and you can point me in the right direction i will dive right it. if not could you help me out? completely unrelated, does anyone else have a pinstripe down the side and a "heartbeat USA logo" on the rear fender?

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
1. 0411 are the last 4 digits of the 01-02 P01 computers used in S10's and other vehicles. 12200411 is the full service number.
Black boxes can be used, but there is no aftermarket support for 96 or 97 models so getting it flashed to work could be problematic. If you can find one in a 1997 K1500 pickup with a 4L60E it can be used, but you might run into issues with the speedo because of differences in gearing and no way to flash yours. On a 96-7 you'd be better off swapping to a silver 0411. More work, but a lot more flexibility.
2. TPI died in 92. The simplest and most straight forward swap into a 1997 originally 4.3 equipped is a 96-02 Vortec 5.7. Full sized C/K truck motor in 96-98 and some after that. Vans until 02. IIRC it's called SCPI. It is actually sequential firing of the injectors, which are located in each intake port, SPI part of it. The fuel lines and wiring connect at a central location hence the C.
Other than the need to use a special oil pan and pickup and headers for your 4wd it's a relatively not too difficult swap. I won't to use the word easy. Especially when talking 4wd swaps. None are easy. Let's just say there are more difficult ones you could attempt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. 0411 are the last 4 digits of the 01-02 P01 computers used in S10's and other vehicles. 12200411 is the full service number.
Black boxes can be used, but there is no aftermarket support for 96 or 97 models so getting it flashed to work could be problematic. If you can find one in a 1997 K1500 pickup with a 4L60E it can be used, but you might run into issues with the speedo because of differences in gearing and no way to flash yours. On a 96-7 you'd be better off swapping to a silver 0411. More work, but a lot more flexibility.
2. TPI died in 92. The simplest and most straight forward swap into a 1997 originally 4.3 equipped is a 96-02 Vortec 5.7. Full sized C/K truck motor in 96-98 and some after that. Vans until 02. IIRC it's called SCPI. It is actually sequential firing of the injectors, which are located in each intake port, SPI part of it. The fuel lines and wiring connect at a central location hence the C.
Other than the need to use a special oil pan and pickup and headers for your 4wd it's a relatively not too difficult swap. I won't to use the word easy. Especially when talking 4wd swaps. None are easy. Let's just say there are more difficult ones you could attempt.
Thank you oldeerslayer for taking the time to explain that to me. When using the 0411 I will need to pull the wire harness that comes with it, or can I use the stock 4.3 harness(adding a few extra wires and switching some pins around)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
this thread came up, not sure if it'll help. vortec 5.7 swap

also LT1swap.com (if i remember correctly) has all the pinouts for what you need. I used it while fixing a buddies mistake on his 2000blazer with 5.7swap. i think i added 6 wires total to the computer. I do tuning, so, reprogramming and tuning isnt an issue there. I can dig through some of my old notes if you cant get the info you need. But, i remember finding everything off of google, with my laptop sitting on the engine, and was able to to everything right then and there.

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,345 Posts
EFI=Electronic Fuel Injection
TPI=Tuned Port Injection
TBI=Throttle Body Injection
CPI=Central Port Injection
SCPI=Sequential Central Port Injection
MPFI=Multi Port Fuel Injection

Those are common acronyms you will see with GM fuel injection.

TPI was prolly the coolest looking setup, but had some flow issues at high rpm, and the injectors were batch fired.

TBI was the carburetor looking device with the injectors spraying fuel down the throat of the unit. Better for mileage than a carb but still had many carb drawbacks.

CPI was the early Vortec motors from 93 to 95, they looked better than the 96+ vortecs but the injectors were batch fired.

SCPI Is the 96+ Vortec family of V6 and V8s that had the Central Port Injection (spider) but these were sequentially fired for better economy and performance.

MPFI is very generic but refers to any fuel injection scheme where the injectors are at the intake ports and can be batch or sequential firing. The LS family is MPFI, if you convert a CPI unit to the improved solenoid injectors it becomes MPFI. Also the TPI is also considered MPFI.

hope this helps understand what all the acronyms mean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EFI=Electronic Fuel Injection
TPI=Tuned Port Injection
TBI=Throttle Body Injection
CPI=Central Port Injection
SCPI=Sequential Central Port Injection
MPFI=Multi Port Fuel Injection

Those are common acronyms you will see with GM fuel injection.

TPI was prolly the coolest looking setup, but had some flow issues at high rpm, and the injectors were batch fired.

TBI was the carburetor looking device with the injectors spraying fuel down the throat of the unit. Better for mileage than a carb but still had many carb drawbacks.

CPI was the early Vortec motors from 93 to 95, they looked better than the 96+ vortecs but the injectors were batch fired.

SCPI Is the 96+ Vortec family of V6 and V8s that had the Central Port Injection (spider) but these were sequentially fired for better economy and performance.

MPFI is very generic but refers to any fuel injection scheme where the injectors are at the intake ports and can be batch or sequential firing. The LS family is MPFI, if you convert a CPI unit to the improved solenoid injectors it becomes MPFI. Also the TPI is also considered MPFI.

hope this helps understand what all the acronyms mean.
Thank you!! This clears a lot of things up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys, during my search for a 5.7 out of a 96-03 silverado, my buddy offered up his lt1 out of a 95 camaro for $400. the engine is in good shape i would rebuild anyway while it was out. my question is.. in regards to ease of the swap, is the lt1 a good choice for my 97 4.3 4x4 withe the 460le or should i continue my hunt for an old Silverado. thankyou for all of your help!!

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
I didn't think 5.7L came in the Silverado, they stopped using that when they discontinued the C/K series trucks.

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
You're correct on the discontinuation of the 5.7 after the C/K ended. Sort of. In 1999 Chevy offered the Silverado Classic along side the Silverado in all 3 weight classes. It was a continuation of the GMT 400 (C/K).
It was available with the L30 5.0 or the L31 5.7 Vortec engines. Only with an automatic and what was the previous Silverado interior package. For 00 the 1500 was dropped, but the 2500 and 3500 were offered.
The Chassis cab 2500 and 3500 w/o a box continued thru 02. The full sized vans also offered the L31 thru 02.
There were also some SUV's that had the 5.7 in 99 and a year or 2 longer depending on the brand and model.
Cadillac delayed the Escalade's switch to the new chassis until February 2001 as a 2002 model, the last of the three General Motors full-size truck and SUV brands to switch to the new chassis and engines. The Escalade also offered the optional LQ9 in 2002 MY, making it the only vehicle with the HO 6.0 that year.
Chevy and GMC started offering it in the 03's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts