S-10 Forum banner
1481 - 1485 of 1485 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not much of an update, but I did order a new distributor (technically my wife bought it for me as a birthday gift), and coil. I might’ve mentioned it before, but the HEI distributor I’m currently running isn’t compatible with the timing control in the EFI system. I had actually ordered a distributor over a month ago from the same company as the current one, but they ended up being out of stock and backordered for the foreseeable future. I just happened to find a speed shop on eBay that had what appears to be the exact same thing.
It will take some modification to work, but it’ll allow me full digital timing control, including retard under boost.
Next up is piecing together the exhaust and intake piping, and the rest of the fuel system.

This truck is really turning out to be super cool!

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,482 ·
Well, the distributor, that the eBay store had ‘more than 10’ of in stock, is back ordered for the foreseeable future. I should’ve expected this, since no other vendor had it available. This really throws a wrench in the gears, as I’d like to get the ignition system done and functioning properly before I even start the process of boosting it. Not sure what I’m gonna do at this point, but I have ordered some more parts. Oil scavenge pump, fuel pressure regulator and turbo exhaust flange are all on their way. I also still need to find somewhere to store this thing for the winter.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,608 Posts
hey @IhaveNoPantsOn , Racing season is winding down- call around to local teams(if you can find them)- someone may have a dizzy on hand.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,484 ·
So, I did a bit of research, and it turns out the original DuraSpark distributor, which had already been replaced when I bought the truck, is actually a magnetic pickup distributor. So, a quick trip to the ‘yard, and

I grabbed the one out of the ‘78 I got the valve cover from a while back. I also grabbed one out of a later truck since the housing is smaller and more compact, thinking I could just swap the guts. Doesn’t look like that’s gonna work, but the smaller cap will fit the older one. I also grabbed a coil bracket. $80 for everything.

I’m gonna completely disassemble, clean and paint everything. Vac and mechanical advance are going in the garbage. All I should be left with is the tone wheel, or whatever it’s called, and the pickup.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,485 ·
Well, no surprise, the 43 year old junkyard distributor is complete garbage. Broke 4/6 bolts taking it apart, and the rest is so corroded it’s not worth refinishing. So I ordered a reman from NAPA. Should be here Tuesday. At least I was able to use it as practice for gutting the new one.

1481 - 1485 of 1485 Posts