S-10 Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1405 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,343 ·
No! You stay goofy, you sonofabitch!
So I’m about 3 hours behind where I planned on being. First, I forgot a couple bolt holes in the head got jacked up when I pulled it from the junkyard, so I had to run and get a tap and tap every single manifold bolt hole, just to be safe. Then, apparently I missed the part in the description that said this is a ‘trim to fit’ intake manifold.

I had to file and grind every single flange to get it to fit!

And the underside of the #5 runner. In some spots, I took off almost 1/8” of material. And I still ended up having to drill out the mounting hole on each end 1/16”. Two hours of fitting, removing, filing, over and over. I’m gonna write AussieSpeed and let them know. I didn’t pay $500 for an intake to do that much work to make it fit.

It sure does look good though!

This is where I’m at. Need to finish wiring the EFI, install the radiator, attach the fan, and finish the exhaust.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,626 Posts
No! You stay goofy, you sonofabitch!
So I’m about 3 hours behind where I planned on being. First, I forgot a couple bolt holes in the head got jacked up when I pulled it from the junkyard, so I had to run and get a tap and tap every single manifold bolt hole, just to be safe. Then, apparently I missed the part in the description that said this is a ‘trim to fit’ intake manifold.

I had to file and grind every single flange to get it to fit!

And the underside of the #5 runner. In some spots, I took off almost 1/8” of material. And I still ended up having to drill out the mounting hole on each end 1/16”. Two hours of fitting, removing, filing, over and over. I’m gonna write AussieSpeed and let them know. I didn’t pay $500 for an intake to do that much work to make it fit.

It sure does look good though!

This is where I’m at. Need to finish wiring the EFI, install the radiator, attach the fan, and finish the exhaust.
That's one long legged intake....

·
Boozebag
9,756 Posts
I've seen those intakes for sale on eBay once in a while.
Talk about "Ram" effect intakes...

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,351 ·

Well, that didn’t last long...

Turns out I got rid of some wires I shouldn’t’ve. What I thought was a redundant ignition switched power wire to the fuse block was actually the cranking power supply to the whole truck besides the starter relay. So I fixed that...
Mounted the fan to the new radiator...

Damnit! Centered the fan in the new shroud, which is obviously centered around the mechanical fan on the engine, so the fan motor lines right up with the water pump pulley. It would actually fit if the new radiator wasn’t twice as thick as the old one. I’ll just have to move the fan as far to the left as I can. Or put the old radiator back in...
Still expect to have it running in the next couple days.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,354 ·
Unfortunately yes. So I either need to go buy more, or fabricate some brackets, which was what I originally wanted to do. I only used these because it was quicker and easier and I expected to have the stupid thing running by now.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,356 ·

Mounted the fan in the same spot as on the old radiator. New shroud doesn’t fit now, which I’m not concerned about as far as overheating, I just think it looks better with it. The anal half of me is considering buying a lower profile fan to make it fit. Priorities, right...?

·
Boozebag
9,756 Posts
You may not have any problem with overheating without the shroud. That is a pretty beefy radiator. Much better than the old pencil neck radiator...
Don't know if you want the "factory" look of the shroud in place, but it looks pretty cool as is.

1341 - 1360 of 1405 Posts