S-10 Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1366 Posts

·
Old Fart
4,331 Posts
Looks like the glob of worms I pulled out of one of my customers ponds today. Never heard of those gaskets. I had the same problem with the long tubes on my 70' Olds until I bought these one collector gaskets at Super Shops. Member those? Can't remember what the hell brand they were though.

I have another suggestion though. Cut that B.S. off of there and weld on a V band. 20 bucks with a clamp.
I think he is talking about the other gasket at the head.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,324
I can see why

She thicc!! I have absolutely no doubt this will fix the leak.

Decapitated! Thankfully no surprises were discovered. New head will go on tomorrow. Waiting on a head gasket.
Anyone else’s primary form of small part/fastener storage old Dunkin’ cups?

Just me? Ok.

·
Boozebag
9,680 Posts
I have several sets of Remflex gaskets for my TVR. Not cheap, but they work like a charm.
For the three point collector gaskets, I have used both dead soft copper and dead soft aluminum gaskets.
They seal well and no leaky.

Mmmm… Fresh head good.

Too bad you don't have flat top pistons...

·
Early Member
3,173 Posts
He's one of the more active members on here, and he doesn't even drive an S series. Me either. lol
I sold mine to a couple in PA.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,328
Too bad you don't have flat top pistons...
Yeah, they make exactly zero performance pistons for these engines. If I bored it (.040”, I think) I’d be able to use any SBF piston. Not worth the effort and cost right now, but I have a feeling it’a probably gonna happen in the future.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,329
I was comparing the two heads earlier, and I think I got shafted with this port/polish job. Not saying they didn’t do good work, but there’s virtually no difference.

Only real difference in the intake is getting rid of that little nub on the top.

The walls are smoother, but I measured and the ports are at most .05” bigger in any direction. I laid the gasket on the head, and there’s at least 1/16” more to take off around the entire port to gasket match it. I’m sure the intake manifold and header ports are even bigger. I’m very tempted to at least bevel the openings a little.

·
Boozebag
9,680 Posts
Match porting is usually worth 5 to 10 HPs. At least that's what a dyno shows.
Since you have it apart...
Also, if you knock off the sharp edges around the valve guide inside each port, that helps quite a bit.
You don't have to go wild, just round them

·
Registered
1991 Irregular Cab Short-Short Bed
229 Posts
If you match the ports to the gasket and then match the manifolds to the gasket you need some way to index them together on installation so they stay lined up.
If the openings in the gasket are larger than the ports, that's OK. If the manifolds are matched to the ports the gasket doesn't matter.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,332
Also, if you knock off the sharp edges around the valve guide inside each port, that helps quite a bit.
You don't have to go wild, just round them
They’re already pretty round

Maybe a little hard to see, but no sharp edges; the entire port has been smoothed out. I’m just gonna leave it as is. I don’t have the tools to do it, and I want it running this weekend. It’ll still be a big power bump over the carb head.

·
Boozebag
9,680 Posts
I didn't see it that closely. Doesn't look as bad a some I've seen.
The head will probably make a pretty big difference...
I'd like to see your reaction.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,454 Posts
Hey Pants- looking good- watch out for the mud/pot hole monster- these temps the last few days are gonna tear the side roads up....

·
Boozebag
9,680 Posts
Slowly?? Yer azz.
Git 'er done!!!
I smell rubber smoke in your near very future....
I wish I could be there.

BTW, as usual - looks superior!
The shite!!

1321 - 1340 of 1366 Posts