S-10 Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1366 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,281
Warm weather = starting to put this turd bucket back together!

Super easy to reinstall the wiring harness with no dash in the way. Would’ve been even easier if I had remembered AT ALL how it was routed. I think I’m ok though.

I lied when I said the harness was finished. I didn’t address any underhood wires, because I wasn’t sure on final lengths. The alternator wires are a couple feet too long. I’ve gotta be careful what I get rid of, because I’ve got fusible links and stuff I need to keep. The right headlight/turn signal wires are gonna have to be lengthened to run under the battery, then inside the fender to the lights.
This weekend is supposed to be nice, so I’m hoping to get the wiring done and the interior completely back together. Maybe even make some progress on the air ride wiring/plumbing.

·
Boozebag
9,680 Posts
Spring is coming... Good to see this back in the weekly plan.
You still have a bag load of work - installing fresh head soon?

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,283
Soonish. The plan is:
Put interior back together
Disassemble, clean and paint rear frame, 4link, brackets, etc.
Plumb and wire air ride
(Possibly) modify and reinstall bed
New head, intake, ignition
Drive the crap out of it and throw sparks everywhere!

·
time to get cereal
4,951 Posts
drag and destroy, brah. Don't forget your high performance vinyl decals!

Reactions: B95

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,289
I got the wiring reinstalled and dash halfway back together.

Organized chaos.
Got the headlight wiring all tucked away.

I had to lengthen the right side harness a little bit. I cut the sockets off, leaving a few inches of wire, added a couple feet, tucked it into some loom, and ran it through the fender. The holes are just big enough and just close enough together that I was able to run the harness all the way through to the lights without having to fish it through with a hook or anything.
The left side I didn’t have to lengthen, but the turn signal socket was too big to fit through the hole, so I had to cut it off, run the wires, then reattach it. Only thing left now is shortening the alternator harness.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,290
Turns out I had some feathered friends living inside over the winter

And a furry friend under the hood

Oh well. At least something got out of the snow for a little while.

·
Boozebag
9,680 Posts
Yeah, I made the mistake of leaving the windows partially down in a few of my vehicles...
My 68 Buick GS 400 had the headliner ripped out and my 78 V8 Toyota Celica had leather seats crapped on. They stained pretty badly.
I take my .38 with me every time I go to the barn. If i see a raccoon, I'll cap the bastard.

Excellent progress with the wiring...

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,295
Wiring is almost done! Cut almost 2 feet out of the alternator harness, and almost a foot out of the wiper motor harness. Just need to do the assorted power and ground wires to the battery, and starter solenoid.
Optimistically put the dash completely back together.

Made a small crossmember for the valve manifold.

That should be the last of the fabricating. But we’ll see.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,296
Been picking at a few little projects this week. Finally got the proper paint, and color matched the armrests

I originally used Duplicolor. The cap was an exact match, but the paint ended up being noticeably lighter. I ended up ordering a can of SEM Color Coat a few weeks ago, and it finally showed up Thursday. Absolutely perfect match.
Went to the yard this morning and grabbed a bunch of stuff, including a pair of lower door panels.

They came off an 88ish Bronco that’s been there for years. I never looked that close because I always thought the entire door panel was one piece, and 87-up are different than 80-86. But when I ordered my new door panels from LMC, I realized the lower panels are separate, and the same 80-91. Good score for $20. I would’ve installed everything, but I plan on sticking some sound deadening inside the doors first. Nowhere local stocks any, so I ordered some. It should be here by Friday.
Cleaned and painted the new head this afternoon.

Looks exactly like the old head...
I’m really starting to get the itch to drive it now that the weather is improving. Sooooooooooon

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
383 Posts
Wow that SEM matched perfectly, have you ever used it before on a somewhat soft part? I’ve always wondered how it would hold up with something that has some flex to it. Good find on the door pockets, those are for the fancy folk that could splurge for a XLT, never mind the bourgeois with their Eddie Bauer’s and whatsits.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,298
Never used SEM on anything before. But it’s specifically for vinyl, carpet, and other flexible surfaces so I assume it’ll hold up fine. I’ve never heard any bad things about it.

·
Old Fart
4,331 Posts
Wow that SEM matched perfectly, have you ever used it before on a somewhat soft part? I’ve always wondered how it would hold up with something that has some flex to it. Good find on the door pockets, those are for the fancy folk that could splurge for a XLT, never mind the bourgeois with their Eddie Bauer’s and whatsits.
I have used it before and it works much better than the other brands.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,396 Posts
I think @B95 used it on his dash with good results.

1281 - 1300 of 1366 Posts