S-10 Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1145 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121
One done.

I also rounded off all the edges, since the bag rolls over just a tiny bit. Just to be safe.

So much better now.
Extended before

Now

Compressed before (ouch!)

Now

Now I just need to make the other side exactly the same, throw some paint on them, reinstall everything, plumb some temporary lines, relocate the battery and a bunch of other stuff, turn the truck around, and I can start on the rear!! I initially hoped to be almost done by now...

·
time to get cereal
3,694 Posts
Nice. I need your ambition. I have a car I need to put back together and it's slowly turning into one of those sit in your garage the rest of your life type things.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,123
I just like driving this thing too much to have it down for more than a few months. I honestly don’t know how people have projects that take years, or even decades to complete.

·
time to get cereal
3,694 Posts
I have 2 other vehicles and I've never driven the car lol. It's in pretty good shape for a '95 Grand Am, but it is still just a '95 Grand Am.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126
Thanks, guy.
Hey, a 95 Grand Am can still be cool. Any pics?
Got the other mount done this morning.

And it seems I can actually lay down a decent weld when I’m not drinking and working in the dark.

I’m sure most of you aren’t that impressed, but they’re the straightest, most consistent welds I’ve laid down so far. Which unfortunately makes me wanna go back and redo everything else on the truck.

·
Boozebag
9,336 Posts
I hope the baggies squash in there ok. They looked pretty tight before.
At least you're going for it...

Welds look goodish

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,131
It’s still a little kinky. I got everything reinstalled and set back on the ground. The passenger side, where I’ve been doing all the test fitting, is pretty good. The driver side, probably because of the different length I beam, still crushes the bag pretty hard. But now, the tie rods are holding it up. So I need to do a little more trimming, and notch the frame, and I should be good. If not, I’m just gonna install some bumpstops and move on to the rear. I’ll just have to live with the frame 1/2” off the ground for now, and come back to it at some point.

Got the coolant overflow tank installed too.

·
Boozebag
9,336 Posts
Pants, You need to change your sig.
It should say baggage is a PIA...

·
time to get cereal
3,694 Posts
Lower than any modern fullsize I've seen lately... I've seen a newer one that is lowered but still looks like stock S10 gap between the tires and fenders. Not to mention my roof is still at the level of their hood, lol.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,651 Posts
Throw some titanium block on it and call it a day...save the frame. 🤣

Reactions: goes2fast

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,136
Yeah, I’m done messing with it for now. Gonna notch the frame a little for the tie rods, throw some bumpstops on it and move on to the rear. I wish I kept the stock ones. I could just trim them down and put them back on.
It won’t matter once I body drop it anyway. So I guess I can live with it like this for a year or two.

·
time to get cereal
3,694 Posts
Going to be sweet. Wait, it already is.

Reactions: Mostizzle

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,138
After all the bullsh*t, a $15 pair of bumpstops solved my problem.

Had to drill some new holes in the most uncomfortable/awkward position possible, but they’re in, and they keep everything about 1/4” from brutally smashing into eachother. Still need to make a little more clearance for the bag on the driver side, but it’s ok the way it is for now.
Super excited to see it move on its own! Just need to install the battery tray, battery and all the wiring, and I can start it up, turn it around, and get crackin’ on the rear.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,139
I have a new favorite tool!

Gonna be ‘sertin’ nuts in everything!

Battery barely fit the tray. Had to trim all the extra little tabs and protrusions off. But it’s in and it’s not going anywhere. Should be wired up and fired up tomorrow.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,140
Got it fired up and turned around. It wouldn’t start with the key, so I had to jump the solenoid. I dunno if I blew a fuse, or the ignition switch just decided ‘f*ck you, I’m out’ or what. I’ll figure it out some other time.
Got the passenger side notch 3/4 done

Before I weld on the final piece, I’m gonna run a big bolt through from the inside, and weld it on. This’ll be my new upper shock mount.

1121 - 1140 of 1145 Posts