S-10 Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1145 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101
Leoman, in the box with the pads was a sheet with the proper break in procedure. On that sheet it stated in bold, underlined letters that failure to properly break the pads/rotors in could result in brake pulsation. So I’m guessing it’s just people being idiots, then blaming the product. I’m not too worried.
Thanks Mo!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’ve never had an issue with power stop. Proper break is n process must be done on all new pads and rotors people never do this and complain of brake issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,107
Finally got back to work on this thing this week. Got the radius arm mounts done Tuesday and last night.

Had to trim the cab mount a little.

Left side cleared the brake cable more than I thought.

Had to trim the cab mount on this side too.
And I think moving these mounts up might’ve screwed me. Tonight I got the arms back in and the lower bag mounts installed.

Looks like the bag brackets are designed to compensate for the arms being in the stock(ish) locations, angled up from back to front. With the rear mount higher up, the lower bag mount tilts forward, even with the bag completely compressed.

Fully extended, it’s way off.

I’m gonna see if swapping sides helps. If not, guess I’m chopping them up.

40,530 Posts
Dang, that blows. That first pic got me to wondering if anyone in the history of that style jackstand has ever bothered to knock the little tabs in to keep the top from being pulled out of the base.....

·
time to get cereal
3,694 Posts
Dang, that blows. That first pic got me to wondering if anyone in the history of that style jackstand has ever bothered to knock the little tabs in to keep the top from being pulled out of the base.....
LOL, I sure haven't. I think the last set I bought I actually looked at the directions and found out that those even existed.

Reactions: Mostizzle

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,110
I’ve never even thought about it. But I don’t pick the stands up by the top, or move them around so much that I worry about them coming apart.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,113
It’s a simple swap for the previous generation(s), 79-down. Practically a bolt in job. Not so much for the newer trucks. It would be cool though.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,114
Swapping them side to side seems to have worked. The angles are a little funky at full droop and full compression, but I’ll be driving somewhere in the middle, so it should be fine.
Right extended

Compressed

Left extended

Compressed

Nothing rubs, nothing binds or tries to fight the natural arc of the suspension. So I think I’ll be ok. Guess I’ll find out for sure when I get the wheels back on and can cycle it up and down.

·
Boozebag
9,336 Posts
I don't know much about baggage either, but that totally looks strange.
The bag doesn't look comfortable in its hole.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,117
Well, it’s been a week of setbacks and disappointment. I would have had everything done and wheels on last Saturday, but the right caliper was no good and the piston wouldn’t push in. Nowhere had them, so I ordered them Monday and picked them up Tuesday. Got them installed Wednesday. Had to practically hammer the right side on. Caliper was correct, piston was all the way in, so the only thing I could figure was my new ‘performance’ pads and/or rotor were a hair too thick. So, yesterday I took my palm sander to one of the pads for a minute, and got that all back together and the wheels on. Set it on the ground, and...

Not any lower than it was static. Went back out this afternoon and pulled the shocks.

That was it. They were close to bottoming out before, and the upper mount on the bag brackets is about an inch and a half shorter than the stock mounts.

No one really seems to make a shock that short. And I don’t want to spend even more money. So I’ll be modifying the radius arms to mount them lower.
Right now, fully lowered, the bags are actually what’s holding the truck up, which is no bueno. Pull them out, and the truck drops another inch or so. Plus, like I showed, the angles are super funky. So I’m gonna pull the lower brackets and chop them down and see what happens. I can only shorten them about 1” max, till they touch the upper balljoint. It’ll help, but it’ll still be resting on the bags. Sorry for the novel.

·
Boozebag
9,336 Posts
Man, a sad day or two.
Really, not a novel. Just interesting to hear how you figure it out.
Sorry to hear the bad stuff.

IIRC, those shocks have a thread at the top and a cross bar at the bottom(?)
I think I saw front shocks on an early GM C10 that might fit (67 - 72). They were pretty short.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,120
Oh, it’s pretty much been fingered. Just haven’t posted yet. Chopped the arms up to get the shock mounts lower.

Of course moving the shock mount to the bottom ended up being too far, and the suspension wouldn’t even extend far enough to get the bags in. So, I just drilled a hole about half way up, got some grade 8 hardware, and it was done.

The shocks max out about 1” before the suspension is fully extended, but that’s fine.
Next issue was the bag mounts. I’ve been procrastinating on this a bit, because if I screw them up, I gotta spend another $180 and wait 2-3 weeks for new ones to get delivered. Last night I finally just did it.

I’m taking 3/4” out of them, which will bring them down as far as they can go before they hit the upper bjs. I’ll get less squish on the bag, and I’ll tweak the angle slightly to make the upper and lower closer to parallel when fully compressed. At least, that’s the plan.
I’ve also realized that I probably need to modify or replace my brake hoses. They’re not happy at any point.

1101 - 1120 of 1145 Posts