S-10 Forum banner

941 - 960 of 962 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #942

It was a bad coil. Got it started, let it run for a little while while I cleaned up so it could learn idle speed, fuel mixture, etc. Took it for a drive, and got about 2 miles down the road when I had to stop for a light and it stalled and would not restart. AAA ended up towing me back and I just left. Not in the mood for this sh*t anymore. It still has spark, all sensors show good readings, fuel pump runs. So I have no idea. It absolutely shouldn’t be, but I have a bad suspicion it’s low enough on fuel to not run. Gauge is actually accurate. Has about 1/4-1/3 of a tank. The install instructions were very clear about mounting the pump below the lowest part of the tank, which I did. Just barely. I’m gonna bring a few gallons with me tomorrow after work, and see if that’s it.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
It's an electronic distributor, yes? I bet the coil is fine.
The distributor isn't sending a signal.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
Sorry Dood… I'm usually not late.
Bad coil is sort of unusual.
Sorry to hear about the troubles.
Especially when big $$ and lots of PIA work is involved.
Like you said before, hopefully it's something stoopid.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #948
It’s home!

Believe it or not, it was just low on gas. Over a quarter of a tank left, but apparently low enough to starve the pump. I put a few gallons in it, tidied up some of the wiring and drove the crap out of it.
The throttle cable/bracket is pretty hacked still.
upload pic online
The throttle return spring is so stiff I had to add a spring to help the cable open the throttle. Without it, it was basically all or nothing. No way to ease into it. Not fun, especially with a stick. Well, it was fun going sideways into every corner...

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #949
After searching the Holley tech forums, I learned that the stiff throttle I’m experiencing is a pretty common issue. Not sure that makes me feel better about it or not. Holley (and I’m sure several others) make a throttle lever extension to increase leverage for a smoother, easier opening. But I’m pretty sick of giving them my money, so I’m gonna make something myself.

39,910 Posts
That kinda sucks. At least it's alive though. The throttle bracket and linkage should be an easyish fix. Maybe something like this can be added or some other sort of bell crank?

·
Gun Totin Redneck
1,165 Posts
After searching the Holley tech forums, I learned that the stiff throttle I’m experiencing is a pretty common issue. Not sure that makes me feel better about it or not. Holley (and I’m sure several others) make a throttle lever extension to increase leverage for a smoother, easier opening. But I’m pretty sick of giving them my money, so I’m gonna make something myself.
I did a old RV 454 conversion to EFI and what I ended up doing, for little better leverage and smoother action, was to extend the throttle pedal point where the cable hooked up about 1 inch. In my case it was easier to do it there than on the engine side because the lever was all metal. Not sure on the Ford pedal if that is possible. Just my two pennies.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #953
Turns out part of the old throttle cable bracket is the perfect shape and length, with the right size holes in the right spots to work perfectly as an extension.

Just need to cut it in half, and throw some black paint on it, and it’ll be good. The throttle is so nice now! Lightest pedal I think I’ve ever felt. I barely have to do more than breathe on the pedal and it opens.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
How's the Holley learning curve going?
Feel better than the carb?

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #956
Definitely smoother and better throttle response than the carb. I’m sure if I had it professionally tuned I could’ve made the carb better. But I like throwing money at this old turd. Plus EFI will be better for when I boost it.

·
time to get cereal
2,628 Posts
These came from the factory with EFI, why use the Holley setup instead?

·
time to get cereal
2,628 Posts
I was mostly thinking about cost. Pretty sure they were OBDII for 96, could be done very cheaply if getting parts from the JY.

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
It would be a lot of changing to convert an 86 to 96 hardware I would think and the Holley stuff is designed for retrofits.

941 - 960 of 962 Posts