Boozebag
9,175 Posts
Ha ha Pants...

MO, you play bass?
Or is it a play on words...

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
Hmm... I still have a 1968 Fender Mustang bass (complete with racing stripes!!) A 1977 Fender Jazz bass (natural finish), a Sunn 2000B bass head and a Mesa Boogie (huge) bass cabinet.
I also have a Gibson SG, A Rickenbacker semi hollow body (sort of like Harrison's) , a few China cheapies that I modded to play well, A Pearl drum kit, a Farfisa portable organ (for that cheesy surf sound) Blah blah blah.
Wanna play?
I have a music room all set up. Only thing I don't have is a decent PA.
And guys to play with.

Sorry for the jack Pants...

39,915 Posts
Thays pretty sick. I'd love to see pictures sometime. A natural finish 77 Jazz bass is literally one of my dream basses. I already owned one of my dream basses but sadly had to let it go years ago. It was a purple translucent Zone Sonus4. I've always wanted a mapleglo Ric too.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #909
I’ve never had the funds (or desire, or skills, honestly) to buy anything really nice. My first was an old Fender. I think it was an 80’s or early 90’s P bass, but I’m not sure. I just liked how it looked. After that I bought a Warwick Corvette bass, again because I liked how it looked. Had one or two others I can’t even remember. Now I’ve just got a cheap eBay special and a little Fender Rumble amp. Just collecting dust in a spare room. I never had the patience to really learn how to play well.

39,915 Posts
Sucks you guys are so far away. I like the Warwicks too. I like their Thumb bass a lot. My first bass was an Ibanez P style bass. I've had a couple pretty obnoxious full stacks but now I just have a D class Peavy Max 100 with a single 10".

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
I played in a few "punk" bands and several top 40 bands too.
Some of the bands I sat in on, one called "Spitfire Henderson" (named after a junior high teacher) had a bunch of original songs that could have gone on the "FM" college playlist, but no one could get it together to go to studio.
I do have several cassette tapes with crappy recordings on them... Sort of garage band quality.
Since I travel all the time, I only have a cheap Chinese 6 string with me to keep my fingers in order. I modded it with brass nut and bridge, super slinky strings, and Grover tuner pegs. I adjusted string height so now it plays amazingly well. I bought it for $25 in Saipan!
I'd give my bag to be able to play in a band again....

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #912
Well, it’s been a while. But I FINALLY got the rear end put back together.

It’s aliiiiiive! I still need to adjust and probably bleed the rear brakes, but it’s drivable...for now.
I’ve been spending more money, too. Last week I ordered an electric fan and the rest of the fuel system.

I’ve gotta day I’m pretty disappointed with the fuel system. Over $300, and it’s mostly off the shelf, parts store stuff. The fittings are nice, high quality pieces, but nothing I couldn’t get in brass at the hardware store. I guess you really pay for the Holley brand name.
This morning I took a little trip to the junkyard for the first time in months, just to see if they had anything new. They did.

First fullsize Ford of this generation I’ve ever seen in the 12+ years I’ve been going there. It was a rotted out plow truck, but the interior was surprisingly nice.

Got perfect radio and dash bezels. I like my old bezel without the vents better, but I might use this one. Or sell it. They go for $100+ on eBay.

A pair of slightly faded, but otherwise perfect headlight bezels.

And, what I’m most excited about, an intermittent wiper switch and module. No more off/low/high only!

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
Good to see back in action monsieur Pants...

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #916
Finally starting on the EFI swap! Got the carb pulled and EFI set in place.

Looks so good! Carb is already listed on Craigslist and Marketplace.

Pulling the fuel tank by myself wasn’t too bad. I intentionally left only a couple gallons in it. Biggest issue was this MFer

Front strap bolt. Half way rounded off, couldn’t see it, had to blindly hold a wrench on it. Driveshaft, exhaust and crossmember all in the way. But, it’s out.

And I know why my fuel gauge was so messed up.
Last owner put a new tank in it, but reused the sending unit.

See the two little notches?

And what’s left of the two little tabs?

For whatever reason, the genius previous owner decided to break them off and put it back in upside down.

Same type of deal with the filler neck.

This vent tube is supposed to go into

the small hole. It was just pinched off to the side.
I’m gonna get a new sending unit. If I can find one. Rockauto is completely out of stock, and the couple parts store websites I checked don’t even list it. I’m sure the guys at NAPA will come through like always. Once I drill and add the bulkhead fitting to the new one, it’s just a matter of running the fuel line, pump, filters, etc. and wiring everything up. Oh, and adding an o2 bung to the exhaust. Should be up and running in no time!

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #920
It looks right, Max, but it’s not even close. So I gotta use the old one.
Sandblasted it at work.

Painted, drilled and return fitting installed.

I also pulled the exhaust and added the O2 bung

I’ve got an entire afternoon to work on it tomorrow, so I should get pretty close to firing it up.
Oh, and I bought some things...

All brand new. Well, unused at least. I’m not gonna use the link bars or bag mounts, but it was $300 for everything, and I just couldn’t say no! I’ve been back and forth with wanting to bag it, but I’m 100% doing it now.

901 - 920 of 967 Posts