S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, here it goes. After years of collecting parts and using every excuse in the book, the time has come to start on my swap. Here is the basic rundown.

1994 S-10 SS A true B4U truck (hence the project name, correcting what GM SHOULD have done)

2001 5.3 mill with 8x,xxx miles
2001 4L60E trans from same truck
Current Performance Harness
Current Performance Engine Mounts
Car-Shop Inc Polly Frame Mounts
Sanderson Headers
The New Holley OIL PAN
All Corvette Accessories up front
20 % underdrive crank pulley
LS6 intake
28# injectors
Comp cam 224/228 588/588 114
Comp 918 Springs
Comp 7.4 Hardened Pushrods
Boss Hog 2800 Stall
8.5” Rear-End w/ 3:42’s and stock G80 for now, with Disc brakes and Anti-Hop Shock
QA1 adjustable coilovers for the front w/450# springs
ZQ8 Rear Leafs w/3” blocks and Adjustable Rancho (Calvert Racing) shocks
Soon to have Rear Cal-Trac style bars on rear

The plan at this point is to get everything to fit and work and be serviceable. At this current time, I have already removed the factory 4.3 CPI and trans, and harness. I have cut the notch for the A/C, and also notched for the Holley pan. The pan fit fine without notching. However; I wanted to be able to pull the trans if I needed to. In reality, I don’t think with the poly mounts the engine would give enough to even move enough to make the pan hit, but I wanted to be sure.

When I was trial fitting things, I had to raise the cab like most guys do. I didn’t need to lift it much, but this being a 1994 truck from Chicago, the body mounts were trashed. I ordered new Energy Suspension mounts and I also ordered some 1” spacers because I am going to space the cab, core support and bed up 1” just to make things fit better. I ordered them from Summit. They are made by Performance Accessories and were $1.99 each.

So here are a few pics of the progress. I probably won't be updating a lot, but it will eventually get updated.

As you can see if the second to the last pic, that was the clearance of the Holley pan. The brake line hides the clearance that was all the way around, but to me it just wasn't enough to pull the trans. I did buy spacers to go on the bodymounts, and probably would not needed to have cut the K-member, but I'll find out more for sure as I go.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my 1st swap. I got the 450 springs from another member on here with the QA1's. I know a couple guys on here that are running them with small blocks that seem to be good. I guess I'll evaluate and swap if needed.

·
Killing Time
5,869 Posts
Finally!!! Glad to see you got a swap going on man!!!

·
Ls1 Bagged
1,186 Posts
Looking good man bout in the same boat as you now. Need to weld a/c notch and finish up the new trans crossmember and get my driveshaft cut down and get ride of the cardigan joints for u joints

·
Killing Time
5,869 Posts
I also like those old school green lawn chairs/bench in the second pic..I like to get a set of those and refinish them like new for the garage..

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
I also like those old school green lawn chairs/bench in the second pic..I like to get a set of those and refinish them like new for the garage..
Of everything in that picture, you find the chairs.....:rotf:

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
Finally!!! Glad to see you got a swap going on man!!!
x2...happy to see you working on a swap! looking forward to following it. chicago weather is hard on vehicles...it sucks. whered you find the truck?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, these are my in-laws. They have been gracious enough to allow me to do my swap there. They were all original until last year when my father in-law repainted them. I was surprised at how comfy they are.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
x2...happy to see you working on a swap! looking forward to following it. chicago weather is hard on vehicles...it sucks. whered you find the truck?
I actually live in Southern IL, right outside of St.Louis, but I did buy the truck off Ebay, out of Chicago. It was in good shape when I got it, but that was just a facade. The damage had already been done from exposure. I will cut the rockers out of it, and replace them soon. The rest of the frame,etc. will get POR-15 and Eastwood Extreme chassis satin black like the rear end.

It seems as if EVERYTHING I try on this truck just fights me. I pulled the bodymounts and wanted to use the Energy Suspension ones, but I can't get the factory ones apart to use the parts I need from them, because they are sooooo rusted. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I am also trying to get some used ones that are not all rusted out.

I also did some small work on the exhaust. I am going to modify the V8 S10 kit that Jegs sells. I will keep some notes on what I modify because I know everyone has exhaust questions, and I think this is going to be a slam dunk for exhaust!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Get some pics for the exhaust while your doing it. IV got the jets kit in my truck now. When I start my LS swap I'm going to reuse it too. I think the collectors are going to be damn close just have to cut off the ball style adapter.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get some pics for the exhaust while your doing it. IV got the jets kit in my truck now. When I start my LS swap I'm going to reuse it too. I think the collectors are going to be damn close just have to cut off the ball style adapter.

I took the idea from you, thats why I pm'ed you and asked about the part # for the kit. They sure do hide it. With Sandersons, I actually think there will be more room than you think. I have cut off the ball style already and got some Headman adapters, and took a piece of coat hanger and bent what I needed. Took that to an exhaust shop and had them bend up a short section. I actually found the exact same bend in part of the tail pipe. I don't think I am going to run those, so I may cut the bend out of them and use it up front. I will get some detailed picks for everyone. For the price of that kit being mandrel bent, I couldn't pass it up. Local quotes were $500 and up.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I was wondering has anyone used a Cadillac CTSV LS6 A/C compressor? Can they be used? I know there are a few different types of compressors, but don't know enough about A/C's to know for sure. What do you guys think about this? The spacing should be correct for the Corvette accessories as far as I know and it looks like this would put the lines in a great spot. Whats your thoughts??

·
Ls1 Bagged
1,186 Posts
I know u already bought the exhaust kit but did you try Madhatter there on broadway. I've always have had good luck with those guys and thats who I planned to do my
Truck again once it's done

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know u already bought the exhaust kit but did you try Madhatter there on broadway. I've always have had good luck with those guys and thats who I planned to do my
Truck again once it's done

Yep, first place I tried. I went there because I use to know a guy who went to Gateway that use to work/own the Madhatter on New Halls Ferry. Anyway, their quote was "$560, give or take" he said. I'll let you know what I have in it all together. Besides, they can't mandrel bend. I know it's not a hugh deal, but every little bit helps, and I don't have to worry about them saying I have to run cats, on something that gets no inspection.
Thanks for the heads up though. Hopefully I can check out your truck soon.

·
Ls1 Bagged
1,186 Posts
That's what I'm wondering to I'm not gonna run cats on mine either they shouldn't say anything I'm gonna have the one set of o2 sensors tuned out. The mandrel thing I'm not to worried bout I dout it will ever see the track. And on a side note when I saw the price That u posted and ask a friend of mine when he had his s10 done there that we put a lt1 in they only charged him around 200 that's what I'm hoping they charge me but Ive taken all my vehicles there.

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
id guess that cts-v compressor will have a similar alignment to the GTO accessories...but i couldnt say for sure.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
id guess that cts-v compressor will have a similar alignment to the GTO accessories...but i couldnt say for sure.
I am going to find out. Everything I read, says they run on the same setup as the Corvette. I need the room where the lines go for better clearance. The weird thing is, they don't run a tensioner. They use a 1 time use belt, that comes with a belt installation tool.

I'll post some pics of my slow progress up tonight. I do have the engine in, and got about 2/3 of the way through the exhaust. The passenger side is on, although it could have been done better if I would not have gotten side tracked, and then forgot I was going to use a different piece. The driver side, which I thought was going to be easy, ended up being the hard side. I'll post some pics of how I did the exhaust once it's all on.

I did start cleaning some of the frame, and got a coat of POR-15 on some of it. I already had the 8.5" rear end cleaned, and painted before I installed that. I didn't expect cleaning the frame to take as long as it is.....oh wait, I didn't expect any of this to take this long. I am getting older, and slower. I swear when I was 25, this would have been done, and at the track by now.:rotf:

1 - 20 of 272 Posts