S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my car for this 96 2.2. I am new to this scene, but I have always been a fan and have always wanted a bagged truck. As you can see, it already has a lot of work done to it, but it also needs a lot of work before I can call it "finished".

The only thing I know about this truck is it has a belt driven compressor (old Ford ac unit), 3 gallon tank, firestone bags, reverse 4-link bag on bar rear setup w/ shocks, tubular control arms up front, 3.5" traditional body drop on 20s. I have no idea what type of valves it has, or what size, but I hate how quick it is. One flip of the switch and it jumps up really quick, and goes down hard. Makes it really hard to dial in a good ride height or set it down nice and easy. It is also only set up for front and back controls, and sometimes it sits a bit unlevel unless it's all the way up. To top it all off, there isn't any gauges for me to keep an eye on air pressure in the bags or the tank.

It broke down on me right after the trade, so right now my main concern is getting it back on the road. If I determine that the engine needs replaced, a V8 swap may happen. The door poppers also went out. I also need to install some sort of air filter, reinstall the wipers, and fix the turn signals. It has a reverse 4-link, and since the trade I've read that it's a bad idea. It has been bagged for a while, from what the previous owner has said, and no obvious problems with the reverse 4-link so far, so it may stay or I may decide to change it. The slope of the bed also needs addressed. I need to find out if it's just a problem with the bed, or if the frame needs fixed. There are also a few leaks in the system. It leaked down almost entirely on the tow truck on the two hour drive home, and the tank leaks out fairly quick too. So, here is a list of current goals, in no particular order, once these issues are solved:

Custom blower box to reinstall heat and ac
Newer front end (maybe)
Paint
Wheels
Mirrors
Interior
Throw sparks

·
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.
4,694 Posts
the guy who built that is on this forum but for the life of me I cant remember his user name.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the bed is coming off eventually so I can get a good look at everything and try to fix that downward slope. It has the 2.2, 5 speed. It started losing power and finally died. Wouldn't run right after that, every time I gave it gas it would die, and it had a bad miss at idle. I changed the fuel filter and that seemed to fix the running problem, but now it doesn't want to start if the engine is cold. It will start with starter fluid and when I unplug the coolant sensor (richens up the fuel system), so I don't know if I still have a fuel problem or if that sensor is bad. Ill be working on it tomorrow. Ill hook it up to a scanner and see what that sensor is reading

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the guy who built that is on this forum but for the life of me I cant remember his user name.
Sweet. I have a lot of questions for him haha. The guy I got it from wasn't the builder, he bought it as it sits now. He couldn't really tell me a whole lot about it. Maybe ill run into him eventually

·
Sure why not.
2,202 Posts
yeah and between that engine driven compressor and the A/C compressor back in there I think that 2.2 will be putting out about 40 hp to the wheels lol. Id fix the bed get rid of those mirror deletes and put some halfway normal side veiws on it get it running right and roll as is. Kinda diggin the rough and tumble look its got going with the light rust, faded paint, and random overspray... The wheels dont looks too bad either.

Main thing I definitely vote keep the front end as is I think it looks tits. Might put some clear corner lenses in those black painted things are kinda eh... And that is a 98+ bumper/valance already. Just the old grille and headlights.

·
Pewter member
2,513 Posts
poptarts are cheaper. good luck!

·
Lay Low, Drive Slow
1,185 Posts
Yeah I know the guy that bought it stock and had it bagged and I am pretty sure Little Shop did the bag and body job on it. I actually think they might have done all the work originally, that is not saying someone hasn't redone some of it since then. The guy I know sold it a few years back. It made it into minitruckin's show coverage a few times when he had it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only hate on the wheels is how far they are sunk in. I think I have enough room to run a lower offset, or at least get some spacers. it looks terrible at ride height too

When I put the ac back in, the engine driven compressor will have to come out. It will be in the way of the condensor

Small update, the scanner shows all functions are operating normally. The only thing we can think of is the fuel pressure isn't good enough. Didn't have time to test it today, hopefully will get time tomorrow

·
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.
4,694 Posts
now that i look at it that is a little shop truck..

·
2.2 Auto FTW
2,957 Posts
It used to be in the gallery on the Little Shop's website but I can't find it now. Can't wait to see it spruced up again

·
Sure why not.
2,202 Posts
Last time my truck broke it wouldnt start and didnt have any codes. It was a bad cap. Code readers are just a tool in the box sometimes they make the difference sometimes not so much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last time my truck broke it wouldnt start and didnt have any codes. It was a bad cap. Code readers are just a tool in the box sometimes they make the difference sometimes not so much.
Well we tested the spark, everything was fine. And we aren't using a code reader, its a computer that reads all the sensors and displays almost everything. My stepdad is a mechanic with all kinds of neat tools haha. I'm working on his time though, paying customers come first

And I've never heard of Little Shop, is it good or bad that they built this truck?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts