S-10 Forum banner
281 - 300 of 333 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Spent the day servicing the house generator and getting a 1985 Honda 350x running. No SS work today. Had to make that side hustle.. Had the generator serviced last year by the guy that installed it. Figured it was best so he could recheck everything.

It was that time of the year again and I declined. Glad I did. He charged my inlaws and their son both about $400 each to change the oil and the battery. He just lost some customers over that. I grabbed a napa gold filter, 2 spark plugs, and 2 quarts of synthetic oil for under $40. If I needed a battery,, it was only about $100. The generator is supposed to run every Tuesday for 20 minutes. Don't think it has been because the starter solenoid was stuck. After a few tries it fired up. Battery tested like a new one. I don't think they had a battery problem.... gonna order a solenoid to have here incase.

The 3 wheeler is a friends that bought it new or fairly new back in 85 or 86. Been sitting in a barn for a long time. Luckily the tank had some rust but nothing a handful of bb's could knock loose and I could clean out. Had to replace the tank petcock , air filter, rebuild the carb, oil and filter, and the spark plug. Man this thing rips!! Almost feels like a 2 stroke because I'm use to heavy 4x4 atvs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Decided to start painting the 6.0 block. I want to do a red block and end up doing the wrinkle black paint on the valve covers , valley cover, and front cover.

I hit the block with my wire wheel to get the heavy spots off. Found some bolts to put in all the threaded spots so I don't have to clean them out. Then used the Napa rust treatment to help seal up what is still there. Let it sit over night to cure.

Put a few coats of primer on but didn't have my phone on me for that. Gonna hit it with the red tomorrow to see if I like it.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 · (Edited)
Hit it with the RED lol this morning. One thing I learned the hard way is if you paint you brackets or block, CLEAN THE MOUNTING SURFACES!! Ran into this when I put the 1st 4.3 in. Think I posted earlier about that. Alternator wouldn't fully charge because it wasn't grounded good through the bracket/block.

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
What's the brass fitting in the CKP hole for? Just to keep paint out?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Ok , hope it didn't screw up. Hit the other side this morning with the primer. Started reading the label on the can and it says bit to apply to surfaces that will he over 200*. I guess in theory the block should be at coolant temp for the most part. Maybe it will be ok, can't back out now!

·
Old Fart
4,495 Posts
I found some ceramic engine paint in clear so I'm thinking since mine is an aluminum block if I can get it clean enough to look like new I will spray it with clear to keep it looking fresh.

Reactions: chevymec

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Sprayed the drivers side.

@goes2fast that would be nice to keep the corossion from starting. That is one reason I haven't put my motor in my chevelle. It sits outside and I don't want it to start getting that powdered coating on the aluminum parts.

·
Old Fart
4,495 Posts
Sprayed the drivers side.

@goes2fast that would be nice to keep the corossion from starting. That is one reason I haven't put my motor in my chevelle. It sits outside and I don't want it to start getting that powdered coating on the aluminum parts.

Plus aluminum is more porous so oil stains are hard to get rid of. That is why powder coaters hate doing used aluminum parts.

Reactions: chevymec

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Been noticing how much the LSA stuff has blown up and prices have gone through the roof. The ZL1 lids are going for over $3500 because they are on national backorder. They are normally about $670. The ZR1 fuel rail has gone up about $30 through GM my cost since October. Decided I better grab it since it is the last GM piece I need for the LSA. Hit up @RockAuto and they showed to have stock and got it ordered up, using the S10forum code of course.

The seller ZZPerformance is selling the one pictured. Can't lie, if somebody wanted it that bad, they could get mine for sure!!

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Been looking a set of these rims for a while. Only 16's but they will do for now. Has all the center caps also. Just hoping the seller doesn't have many hits on them before the weekend. It's about a 4.5 hour ride there to get them in the mountains. It will make a nice little getaway for the wife and I!

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
If you like them go for it. I think they are a bit dated. Wouldn't you rather go with something timeless like Corvette style rally wheels? Or Torque Thrusts? Just askin?
I have no room to talk. I'm putting 97-04 chrome spoke Corvette C5 wheels on mine. Four 8.5x17 fronts. Picked up set from a guy who had them on a Camaro for $400. Had to put 2" spacers on the front because of the 58mm offset, but since I swapped to the Blazer brakes I was able to get good hub centric ones at a reasonable price. Gonna run 255/50R17 tires that are the same diameter as the original tires. Just 2" wider. Not lowering it because of the potholes around here.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
If you like them go for it. I think they are a bit dated. Wouldn't you rather go with something timeless like Corvette style rally wheels? Or Torque Thrusts? Just askin?
I have no room to talk. I'm putting 97-04 chrome spoke Corvette C5 wheels on mine. Four 8.5x17 fronts. Picked up set from a guy who had them on a Camaro for $400. Had to put 2" spacers on the front because of the 58mm offset, but since I swapped to the Blazer brakes I was able to get good hub centric ones at a reasonable price. Gonna run 255/50R17 tires that are the same diameter as the original tires. Just 2" wider. Not lowering it because of the potholes around here.
View attachment 348570
Torque thrust are not for me. They seem to be on everything. I thought about those 2000 C5 rims. I think they look good, not a fan of spacers though. I Iike the dated rims. I have a feeling they sold or he took them down. The post disappeared .

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Sorry you missed out since you liked them.
Don't pay any attention to my opinions. I used the same wheels on my 1991 C4. This old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks. Probably went with them because I was familiar with them. Or I'm stuck in a rut.
Actually the latest set is a bit different. On my C4 Corvette I just used the stock lug nuts with the chrome plastic caps. The set destined for the S10 use a combo style lugnut that has a short inner shank like old mags did and a 60°taper at the face of the wheel. They're chrome plated steel.
Bought a new set off eBay for $25 since the ones with the wheels were looking old. Corners were trying to rust where the impact smacks them. I'm using a cordless drill with 1/2" adapter which is not so brutal and a torque wrench on the new ones. You could feel them centering on the hub as they tightened.(y)

·
Old Fart
4,495 Posts
Sorry you missed out since you liked them.
Don't pay any attention to my opinions. I used the same wheels on my 1991 C4. This old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks. Probably went with them because I was familiar with them. Or I'm stuck in a rut.
Actually the latest set is a bit different. On my C4 Corvette I just used the stock lug nuts with the chrome plastic caps. The set destined for the S10 use a combo style lugnut that has a short inner shank like old mags did and a 60°taper at the face of the wheel. They're chrome plated steel.
Bought a new set off eBay for $25 since the ones with the wheels were looking old. Corners were trying to rust where the impact smacks them. I'm using a cordless drill with 1/2" adapter which is not so brutal and a torque wrench on the new ones. You could feel them centering on the hub as they tightened.(y)
View attachment 348578
Since no matter what I try chrome lug nuts eventually rust I'm going to spring big bucks for stainless steel next time I buy new ones. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Yeah, the chrome/rust battle never ends. I have a set of stainless steel lug nuts but they fit older threads. Confirmed today that he sold the rims. I'm bummed out and ends up we can't takenour lite trip. Guess it wasn't ment to be.

281 - 300 of 333 Posts