S-10 Forum banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
These are the 6.0 part numbers I will be using. All this was ordered by the machine shop.

SRP 329376 pistons 4.005
Clevite CB-663P-8 rod bearings
Clevite MS-2199-P LS1 main bearings
Durabond FKC-6B Engine hardware kit

Block honed
Rings matched with pistons gapped for boost
New cam bearings
Block cleaned
Cleaned, polished, and balanced crankshaft

Still have a long way to go. Want to scuff, primer, and paint the block. Wipe the cylinders down to prevent rust, get some covers on it to seal it up. Gets real humid here and I do not want to have to go through this wait again because of some rust!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Rods and crank cleaned up real good. And a picture of the long term goal.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Well rods and pins have to go back. The pins measure .945 and the bushings in the rods measure .943. Guess they will have to hone the bushings to fit.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Stopped by and he made them right. The hurricane came and went. Very little damage.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Last big piece of the long term puzzle . Found some extra plastic in the bag it was in. Looks like FedEx dropped it a few times before it got to the dealership. Took a month to receive which I knew it would he awhile. Jackie, our wonderful parts lady we deal with, slapped a SPAC case on it when ordered so I could get in line.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,282 Posts
Looking at the way it was packaged...that's on the shipper. They figure it's metal...nothing can hurt it. With all of the belts and slides involved in moving pkgs, it doesn't take much for a 70lb + pkg to come down a slide and do some damage.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Yeah, this box is light but wouldn't take much to catch a side. Luckily the sensor is cheap so I'll just buy another.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,282 Posts
Yeah, this box is light but wouldn't take much to catch a side. Luckily the sensor is cheap so I'll just buy another.

I meant another pkg sliding into it. At least it was only the map.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Well, still gathering parts. Found a good deal on a stock posi from a 1998 TA 6 speed. I have the 8.6" for the truck but I believe the factory G80 in the 7.5" rear is getting tired and not ready to swap it out yet. This should hold me over for a while when I get it in. Carrier bearings look almost new.

·
Been there Done it
9,575 Posts
I'm with you on the rear end. I'll wait til I break it to upgrade. Seen a lot of 7.5's behind V8's w/o issues. If I was building a truck for the strip that would be different. But a DD you care about isn't going to be beat on. Too often.
I think Rhot is doing the same.

Reactions: chevymec

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,282 Posts
I'm with you on the rear end. I'll wait til I break it to upgrade. Seen a lot of 7.5's behind V8's w/o issues. If I was building a truck for the strip that would be different. But a DD you care about isn't going to be beat on. Too often.
I think Rhot is doing the same.
Yep...if an 8.5 were to fall into my lap I'd get it. For now...I don't drive it like I stole it...just borrowed it... 🤣

·
Been there Done it
9,575 Posts
There is also the time and money it takes to switch rear ends. Especially if you're going drum to disc.
I always try to encourage getting the swap done and debugged before moving onto brakes, suspension or rearend. The more cans of worms you have open at one time the longer it takes and the greater the risk of it never being completed.
I have an open 3.08 2wd drum brake 8.6 and a ZR2 3.73 posi w/o brakes in my barn. Maybe next summer I'll mate the two and come up with an 8.6 2wd 3.73 posi to simply bolt in. I did find that the 8.6 RCSB driveshaft is 1/2" shorter than the 7.5. Fortunately I also have both the 52.5 and the 53 inch ones. I'm running the shorter one behind my 4L80E with the 7.5 and have exactly 1 inch of yoke sticking out of the tailshaft. When I do switch to the 8.6 loosing that 1/2 " kind of worries me.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
The 8.6 is getting LS rear brakes because there isn't anything currently on it. Have a new Yukon posi for it also. Really isn't much work to swap the posi out. I can't say it won't see some track time with this rear but I know the limits of them. It is gonna be DD status for now. This is my 85 Z28 5 speed on the last set of gears I busted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I just went through the thread. You are persistent. I like the last few posts a lot and I cant wait to see more on the builds evolution.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Well I just went through the thread. You are persistent. I like the last few posts a lot and I cant wait to see more on the builds evolution.
Thanks! I really like the truck and one of my boys has claimed it already so I need to keep pushing forward with it.

·
Old Fart
4,063 Posts
My rear brakes are shot so I'm going to swap my axles now before my engine swap because I don't want to put new brakes on an axle I'm going to pull in a few months.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts