S-10 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Well, it is funny how things worknout. Came home from vacation today and drove about 350 miles. Found a guy not too far from(100 mile round trip) me pulling a 4.3 from his 97 s10 to go V8. He said it has a low speed miss and is tired of putting money into it. New style injector, new distributor, new gm cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. It has compression but is lower than the others. I feel like it is a valve problem. Doing a leak down in the morning and hope my gamble pays off. I really need to get my truck back going at this point. Truck only had 109k miles.

Machine shop told me the cam bearings should of been in Friday and block should be done. We shall see!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Old Fart
3,797 Posts
I hope there is someone in my area that needs a good 4.3 and 4L60 when I do my swap so it will get a good home.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Well, my gamble paid off. 100% leak down on #6 and 45% on #4. Both intake valves leaking. Cylinders 1,2,3,&5 were under 25%. Pulled both heads and the gaskets were fine. Gonna find a machine shop that is a short wait to do what I need. Probably just fix the 2 valve problems, clean and light resurface. Torn on replacing the pan gasket, rear main, and front cover or throw it back together. I KNOW what I should do. The cross hatching in the cylinders looks great and he did a top end cleaning on the motor so the pistons need no cleaning. Pretty sure the distributor is a GM unit he just replaced also. The only bad thing is that the dreaded dexcool sludge is all in the block. A few cooling passages were almost stopped up. I had a screwdriver scooping large amounts out of the block. Plan on trying to flush a lot of it out . I mean a '97 with 109k didn't see the road a lot so that stuff has just been sitting in the passages. starting to get a little more back in the game about the truck. If I get it back on the road then my Chevelle will be the only project and that takes a load off me having 2 downed vehicles. Been off work for a few days so back at it tomorrow. Can't wait to see what hell awaits for me when I get back!

·
Old Fart
3,797 Posts
I hope you can get the sludge cleaned out without a teardown and boiling the block. If it was me I would have all the valves freshened and front and rear seals to be safe. I don't think you would want to pull the heads again in a few months.

Reactions: chevymec

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
I am thinking to tilt the block on it side on the engine stand pull the drain on the block and keep flushing with water till little to nothing comes out. I feel like most of it will come out if I keep breaking it loose. We shall see.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,562 Posts
Hit those holes with a pressure washer first. Probably a good time for new freeze plugs.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Hit those holes with a pressure washer first. Probably a good time for new freeze plugs.
Dangit... now that is gonna be in my head if I don't replace them. I'm only looking maybe 2 years to run this thing. Enough time to gather the rest of the parts for the 6.0 new build.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,562 Posts
Lots of time... 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #254 (Edited)
Well thanks to @Rhotpursuit , I knocked the freeze plugs out and glad I did. I probably could of filled up at least a quart container of crud from the coolant in the block . The back passage on the passanger side was solid with dried crap. Dug it out and started flushing with the hose . This thing would of had a crap cooling system if I didn't clean it. Really wish my phone camera worked so I could of snapped a few pics. Might have to order a new one this weekend. Got the deck cleaned up and the rest of the motor degreased. Both machine shops in town are 2 to 3 weeks out on heads. I pulled both leaking valves out and lapped them some. Contact pattern looked good but both were still leaking.

I really would like this thing to be good when I put the heads back on. I have all the gaskets in my cart on @RockAuto ready to order. Lower gasket set, rear main, & metal exhaust manifold gaskets. I already had a top end kit and head bolts bought from a member on here years ago. GM is proud of there front timing cover but that is the route I will go. I had a dorman on my other motor and it never fit good.

Anybody know of a drop in camshaft that doesnt require anything special or a better stock cam than the '97? I thought I remember reading a thread years ago about this. Gonna look again.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Finally pulled the broke motor and trans out this morning. Never fails when I plan to start early something comes up. Ended up helping a good friend move his grandma last Saturday and had to help unload 2 houses of turkeys with my inlaws this morning.

Got home and yanked it out and separated. Got the "new" 4.3 ready to go in. Ended up replacing all the gaskets as in the back of my mind it was telling me to. New GM timing cover and a Felpro lower kit. I bought a new GM rear main seal housing but I did not like that the lip seal was pointed out instead of inward. The seal was even labeled " this side out" The rms that came in the felpro kit was just like the original GM seal so I used it. Deleted the oil cooler also. Wasn't leaking but it is 1 less thing to worry about leaking.

Called it a day. 55% humidity, 90* but feels like 102* . I done with the heat till work on Monday.

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
Well thanks to @Rhotpursuit , I knocked the freeze plugs out and glad I did. I probably could of filled up at least a quart container of crud from the coolant in the block . The back passage on the passanger side was solid with dried crap. Dug it out and started flushing with the hose . This thing would of had a crap cooling system if I didn't clean it.
Don't know if I'd have worried about hardened crap near the bottom of the block. That's the coolest part of the engine. As I'm sure you already know most of the heat is in the heads and upper block where the fire is.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Don't know if I'd have worried about hardened crap near the bottom of the block. That's the coolest part of the engine. As I'm sure you already know most of the heat is in the heads and upper block where the fire is.
Well, I wanted it out so my antifreeze wouldn't turn brown. I despise taking a radiator cap off and seeing that crap floating around.

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
Don't blame you one bit for wanting to keep it clean. Pump will probably thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Finally, he 6.0 is back in my shop and home. I'll post some part numbers when I get a chance of all my parts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Back in its home. Just need to get a trans mount from Napa today and get the trans crossmember in.

Under the hood looks real bad from sitting and all the dirt dobbers make nest. Wasn't really worried about cleaning it all up since I will be driving it everyday. Maybe when the 6.0 goes in it will be cleaned up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using tatalk

241 - 260 of 263 Posts