S-10 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Stopped by the machine shop to make sure the crank was a 24x so CPW could get started on the harness. Kyle told me probably 6-8 weeks but maybe sooner since they got their summer projects done. He also told me they no longer sell the swap radiators so I'm glad I already have one.

Sorry, I update a lot of useless info so I can keep a timeline of stuff on my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Got a call 2 days ago from Current performance and the harness is on the way. Stopped by to check on my block and rotating asm and it still isn't ready.... Guess this build will get back on track after the first of the year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Bought EFI Live a few months ago so i could swap the vin in my pcm for emission inspections. Starting Dec 1, my county no longer requires my 97 to have an emission inspection. Safety only now, and i have efi live....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would say it’s a good thing you don’t have to deal with emissions headaches and it’s always worth while to be able to tune your vehicle. Even 100% stock stuff benefits from optimizing the fuel and ignition tables and from what I’ve seen the ls motors have some really dumb stuff in their factory tunes. My Escalade had a 60 second delay for power enrichment to kick in and that was for over 5500rpm which effectively disables it. Just making a couple of changes I picked up a ton of power over the stock tune.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
I know zero about tuning vehicles. When the truck still had the black box pcm, it had a dead spot right off idle that i tried to get out. Of course i was trying to use the JET tuning software. No support for that stuff anywhere to try and learn.

·
Been there Done it
9,575 Posts
That's why they used to put the PCMs in Black Boxes. Only wizards know what goes on in there.

Reactions: chevymec

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its really not that complex, everyone thinks it’s witch craft but it’s really not. I’ve been tuning for a living for the last 10 years, mostly Honda’s and Acura’s and the last couple years I’ve been getting my feet wet with Gm’s. The biggest thing that makes a big difference (like one change that will pickup 40-60hp) is making the power enrichment work how its supposed to. Basically from the factory they put a delay on it which basically disables wot fueling, so the target afr of 14.7 is pretty much ran all the time, power enrichment is a multipler that tells the ecu hey this thing is at wot give it 1.25x as much fuel so it has some balls. It will sound like a bunch of witchcraft at first but the more you mess with it the easier it gets. Plus gms are nice because you can use the knock sensor feedback to tune ignition timing where as with older Honda’s I have to use a det can to tune timing, basically a bolt on mechanical knock sensor setup.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Holley 302-1 oil pan and dipstick along with the Blackheart single exit exhaust is on its way. Parts are starting to pile up in the cab of the truck and in the shop for the SS and my Chevelle. Man I will be ready to get these things in their place on the car and truck.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Exhaust just showed up! The muffler is pretty free flowing. Hooker Headers 705014150RHKR

Was the kit I got. Dual 3" in/single 3" out.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Talked to the machine shop. Seems they were waiting on me. I never got a call. They honed the cylinders and they still had some spots in them. The block is getting bored 30 over, forged SRP pistons , stock 4gen rods, and rotating asm balanced. I want the bottom end ready for a lot of miles and be ready for any abuse along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Picked up all my sensors for the motor. Went Ac Delco or GM from the dealership. I was disappointed to see made in china on the camshaft sensor. New timing gears and an LS2 chain and damper. GM LS9 head gaskets, ARP head bolts, BTR pushrods also. Scabbed together a gasket set from past stuff I have done over the years. Probably order the BTR Stage 2 truck cam here soon and LS3 blue valve springs.

Also have been looking at an injector upgrade since the stockers will probably be maxed out. After some searching, I found it looks like a set of injectors (36#) from a GTP Grand Prix will work. These are a lot cheaper new than a set of 8.1 injectors that would also be an upgrade. Hoping in the next few weeks I will get the block and rotating asm back....

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
7 years ago, I bought my truck. Just as broke now as it was when I bought it lol.

·
No It's Not a Blazer
169 Posts
@chug what happened?

Lots of shotty work bu the previous builder............ me............ live and learn. Have to get a lift installed then its time to build again.. Along with rebuilding the Duke for the Fiero

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Lots of shotty work bu the previous builder............ me............ live and learn. Have to get a lift installed then its time to build again.. Along with rebuilding the Duke for the Fiero
Shotty work? Come on man, I never saw any shortcuts.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Picked up some new GM LS7 lifters and LS9 blue valve springs , retainers and locks . Found a different cam I am looking at. It is the PCM of NC stage 2 truck cam. Just need to do some more research on it.

·
Old Fart
4,063 Posts
Picked up some new GM LS7 lifters and LS9 blue valve springs , retainers and locks . Found a different cam I am looking at. It is the PCM of NC stage 2 truck cam. Just need to do some more research on it.

You might want to check out Summit's cams as well, specs look good and reasonable prices. I just received mine Saturday. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Tore one of the 317 heads apart tonight. 1 chamber was caked with gunk. Almost like an injector wasn't firing right. All the other runners had clean spots from the spray but not this one. Hit it with oven cleaner and gave it a quick bath. Decided to do the grinding compound and drill jobber. I feel like I did it long enough and the valve seat and valve wouldn't clean up. Gonna hit it again and see what happens. Might have to get a valve job on the heads. I hope to get a new phone soon so I can take some pictures again!

221 - 240 of 277 Posts