S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Jeckyl and Hyde transformation of the Braphoon is now officially ready to begin!! Here is a little insight on the project Braphoon:

1994 Oldsmobile Bravada is going to get the complete drivetrain from a GMC Typhoon installed. Drivetrain has only18,000 original miles.

I have the turbo on the way. Here is the plan of attack:

Friday (tomorrow): Remove engine, trans, and transfer case. Clean engine compartment.

Saturday: Deliver engine to new owner and pick up the LT1 for my other project (1994 S10 pickup with LT1??? Or is it? Dang, that thing runs too good to just have an LT1..... You will have to wait until I post the project page for that one to see the engine build up; trust me, it will be worth the wait.)

Sunday: Paint frame rails in engine compartment, remove exhaust from Bravada. Remove front Driveshaft, rear driveshaft, and replace rear with the one from the Typhoon.

Monday night: Install front differential and suspension from Typhoon including the torsion bars and lowering keys.

Tuesday: Remove engine, trans and transfer case from Ty. Prep engine and trans and remove exhaust manifolds, downpipe, crossover pipe, and mask turbo to get all ceramic coated by R&D Automotive and Marine.

Wednesday: Take a break. That is unless the stuff is done being ceramic coated. If it is, install all components on engine.

After Wednesday, who knows. I will post a new agenda then.

I will post progress and pictures within the next week so you can see how things are going. I plan on having the complete swap done by Christmas.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am trying to find a cyclone or a typhoon to rup off how did you find one.?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey proflo'dS10, I see in your sig that you have a Ford 9" with disc brakes. Did you use a kit or junkyard parts? If you used junkyard parts, or new parts from another vehicle, what was it? I have a 4x4 Blazer that I'm putting a 9" in and the axle doesn't have any brakes at all. I thought I'd check out disc's. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nth: YOu could get your the way I got mine. Buy one and then have some moron pull in front of you and do 16,800 in damage. Worked for me..... Wasn't what I wanted; I'd rather still be driving my Ty.

On my Ford 9" I had the housing narrowed and welded on some brackets for the late model GM calipers. You could say the rear was "junkyard built" as the housing and 3rd member were both bought used.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the small center housing if you didn't notice. I did this so the exhaust could clear. The intermediate housing with the long webs causes exhaust problems.

If you need any all wheel drive parts, I have EVERYTHING you need to do a total swap. All the way down to the AWD crossmember that is proprietary to AWD's.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the turbo for the Bravada back from being ceramic coated a few days ago. Looks awesome. Now, the downpipe, exhaust manifolds, and crossover are getting ceramic'd. If you need any coating done of any type, let me know as I can get awesome prices on it.

Attachments

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
i wish i could put the turboed 4.3 into MY truck damn it!:bash:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
01ZQ8: How long are the headers,are they new, are they painted or coated now? Just give me some background on them so I can shoot you an honest price.

Mightymouse: I wish I could have the turbo 4.3 in MY truck, too. The Bravada belongs to my wife and will be her daily driver once it's finished.

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Hey pro, are you using headers or the stock manifold? If its all stock, what would it cost to get the same stuff powder coated again? Turbo, manifold and downpipe. Thanks for the info, and its lookin good!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The engine will be running the stock turbo, exhaust manifolds, downpipe, crossover. Obviously I will have to get a custom 3" exhaust done.

E mail me so I can explain the 2 options you have. If you already have your parts blasted, that will save you quite a bit.

E mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
proflo'dS10 said:
01ZQ8: How long are the headers,are they new, are they painted or coated now? Just give me some background on them so I can shoot you an honest price.
They are JBA shorty headers. They are nickel right now, and they are so new I dont even have them yet!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First off, ZQ8: please e mail me about your headers.

Next, I am finally making some progress on the Bravada. I installed the front suspension from the Typhoon tonight. It is looking MUCH different just with that. Tomorrow evening I plan to install the rear suspension plus some 2" blocks to try to get the stance Just right. Here is a little preview but you have to go see The Site to get all of the details.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts