S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its a 1998 ZQ8 stepside. Its now got over 150,000 miles and still runs great.

I remember when we first got this truck when i was 6, and how awesome it was. Now its mine, and i'm ready to make it better! This truck is full of memories and I don't plan on getting rid of it soon.

Im looking for a job now, so until then, this is going to be a slow project. Im tired of making a bunch of threads for most of my questions.

This truck will be a big learning experience. I plan on a frame up restoration so it can handle Michigan for a long time.

A recent timeline:

My dad gave up on it a long time ago and let it get nasty

Got hit... again, so insurance gave us $400. I threw in the last 4 years of birthday and Christmas money ($900 lol) and my dad threw in a few hundred and we got it painted.

Got some leather seats ($140) off CL

Got this radio online for $120. Its got a crappy interface but it sounds awesome and has a lot of features

Picked this up as a starter system ($40), did the work to build the box, and ended up never installing the box lol

Got leds for everything but the map lights, I love them!

Cleared the headlights

Saw these on craigslist and met a guy leaving the next day ot be a california highway patrolmen. Only $100!

Just did the cold air intake, sounds pretty cool. The heat shield was a lot of work but im happy with the results, looks OEM. Dirty and its dark, but you get the point.

My plans as of now are:

Exterior:
Fix all rust
Bed liner on the back on every piece of metal on the truck
Strip the paint and start over
Step shavers
Cowl hood
Rims

Interior:
Some badass seats
Red/Black everything
Make a fiberglass box for my kickers
Maybe glassed and painted?
Have Trucks-69 chrome some stuff

Suspension:
Sandblast frame
Bed liner the frame
Keeping it static
Make it handle awesome

Performance:
Maybe turbo 4.3?

And also this truck is cursed its been hit hard 5 times while parked but never in an accident :haha:

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Subscribed""" i was wondering where you got your LED's and which type to change the gauges and even the dome light,,,, there is an old ass thread on it but you seem to have done this recently so its still fresh in your brain. so any info would be great... good lookin truck though, i think step sides look better lol

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did it over a year ago, but... I got them from V-leds and i love them. Got them fast and they're bright as hell. Definitely worth the money IMO. I think i spent a little over $80, but i still need maplights. I got 2 of these for the dome light http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/DomeMap-LED/Red-LED/V-LEDS-RED-48-M-SMT-PCB-p5168716-1-2.html, im pretty sure I got 3 of these for the guages, and another pack for the footwell (pack of 2) http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/CornerSide-Marker-LED/Red-LED/2-RED-SMT-5-LED-GAUGE-p4481059-1-2.html. The guages have some hotspots though when its light out, but when its dark you cant tell because theyre so bright, and the dimmer still works! ...Kind of, lol. And thanks, I love stepsides :D

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled out the old airbrush and re-did the grill and painted the letters flat black/red. I havent seen anything like it on a gmc and it looks decent :).

I also picked up a 4X4 y pipe and 2 door panels that arent as broke as mine for $50. Ill have fun with the exhaust nuts and bolts tomorrow. I'm gonna lay some fiberglass on the back of the door panels so I dont have to keep buying panels. I've never worked with fiberglass, any advice? What material should i use, should i scuff up the plastic, etc. I picked up some black suede that im gonna wrap the fabric of the panel with, hopefully it will come out good.

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well guess what backfired??? :rant: The 4X4 Y-pipe. Its totally different. After 2 days of pulling the old one, the 4WD pipe didnt fit so me and my dad have been screaming at each other and hes been throwing stuff all day, we had it towed to a shop that said they would do a custom 2 1/4 pipe for "$180ish". Guess what "$180ish" means for muffler man? $400. Because "its really hard" as they snap the one with a small hole in half, now i cant throw it back on, and its gonna be 180 for a "stock" shitty autozone y pipe. Which by the way, the closest one they can find is in Nova Scotia or some shit, so my truck will be sitting there for the next 5 days. Just got back from dealing with them for like 2 hours. FML.

I did start on the suede though :D lol

Pics made it look wierd, its not perfect to the naked eye but looks pretty damn good. I was equipped with the best tools, my insurance card and a pink hot glue gun. :haha:

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good start man!

And Mi is pretty brutal to s10s you should have seen my 94 when i got it.
Haha I know what you mean, the rust is coming back too :( Im debating on getting a new bed or trying to do my own body work. I was looking at my truck while it was on the lift, and it looks like the rocker panels have some bubbles, and the inner rockers have surface rust. I might take it apart piece by piece and michiganize this thing with like POR15 then bedliner or something.

Theres a 98 on criagslist the looks ridiculous, its the rustiest stepside ive ever seen in my whole life lol, michigan's really bad!

Found it haha, its actually a 99!

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bad update, my dad overheated it like 300 degrees a bunch of times with no coolant, and we had a defective cap so it didnt release the pressure, so now i have milkshake and im burning coolant. Time for a V8! Ive been furiously looking on craigslist so hopefully ill have a new powerplant in about a week. I want to try to get this thing done as soon as possible.

Where should I get headers and motor mounts from? There are a lot of options I would like them to be under $350 and still fit good, dont have to be super high performance.

Started to take it apart today. Worked for about 25 minutes and got this far. Tomorrow I will hopefully have everything out of the way.

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NO on those lights haha but good luck with the swap, my motor is just about out at the moment due to a rod knock. I have a reman 4.3 for the time being though, just to get through school
Haha ok thats the least of my concerns now anyways haha, good luck with your swap!

And mostizzle thanks, so any s10 v8 swap headers will work with any V8 motor and fit first and second gens? Ive heard some people had to dent the headers to fit, so JTR's should fit perfect?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts