S-10 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Suggestion:
If you are painting the cab, you may want to pop the bed off so you can paint the backside of the cab.
I see so many paint jobs where this hasn't been done, there is a crappy non blend line back there.
You can also fix any rust - if there is any.
I know it's more work, but worth it.
You can also replace the bed fasteners with stainless and coat the crap out of them with anti - seize.
Fastenall and specialty fastener shops have the bolts.

You might know about this place...
http://www.colfast.com/products.aspx

I did this 2 two of my POSs.
You can have the bed off in under 1 hour.

Are you doing base/clear?
If so, don't wait very long in between color and clear. There is a much better chemical bond with short dry time between the two.

Good progress Gringo. :tup:
The bed is coming off when I put the pump in, but the firewall is getting painted before the engine goes in.
then the grey stripe is getting painted on once the truck is "whole" again..
never had an issue just using the standard steel bolts. make sure the threads are clean and throw a little anti seize on them.
the underside of the truck is surprisingly clean, and there is a rust spot on the front driver edge of the bed, where the bulkhead is welded to the side..

Just going with Single stage urethane.
Using eastwood high build/self etching primer on the steel (stripping down to bare metal) with PPG shopline for the white and argent,
since there is a automotive paint supplier within shouting distance of my house I walked in with the paint codes and they mixed it for me in about 10 minutes... both paints, hardener, and reducer was $322 out the door.
My dad does all the painting, he just tells me what he needs and I buy.

Not the best picture, but this is one of his paint jobs, Acrylic Enamel, matte black base, something copper pearl coat, with I think three untinted clear layers over the pearl.. We call it root beer.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
More pictures.

Yesterday got the engine ripped out.

Today we're gonna try to degrease everything and get it ready for paint so I can reassemble the front end.
The A/C system came out as a whole and it currently sitting in the bed of the truck.. so hopefully that works out.

Decided I'm going to run all the pcm outputs directly into the bulkhead plug so I shouldn't have to mess with any of the wiring in the dash..

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
And den?

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Haven't gotten much accomplished between weather, vacation, and being sick...lol

The day after the engine came out we did get the front portion of the frame cleaned up and under of coats Eastwood rubberized rust encapsulator.
The inside of the frame for a heavy coat of internal frame anti rust, and the cowl? got a thick coat of heavy duty anti rust coating.

Ripped most the interior out, cut out the rust in the cab above thee body mounts, cleaned them up and "soaked" them in rust treatment.
Going to do what my dad did a long time ago with his race car, clean up the floor pans and put a layer of fiberglass mat over it.. prevents rust if the inside ever gets wet again, deadens a little noise and heat.

Lastly I got the hydraboost installed! The line from the booster to the Steering box is done, and the feed line has on end on it (waiting for the engine to go in) pushrod has been welded together and the brake switches have been adjusted. still need to get a new master cylinder though

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
What if you used a stick on sound deadener?

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
What if you used a stick on sound deadener?
Well obviously that works better for sound deadening...but wouldn't do much for rust prevention, or patching the holes in the floor.

But in other news.

It's white primer, not a top coat.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Engine is in, wiring is... Done...ish.
And it runs. Gotta cap off all the unused vacuum ports, get some hoses, fluids and a belt and it's ready to actually run and check the tune.

Hopefully I have everything finished this coming weekend.. still waiting on paint.

Attachments

·
Old Fart
3,357 Posts
Why do so many use thumbs? We older people need large pics to see details, please help us out!

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Why do so many use thumbs? We older people need large pics to see details, please help us out!
Page stretch is annoying and makes scrolling though threads a hassle...
All my pictures can be viewed in their original 1920x1080 at Projectbettywhite.tumblr.com

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
Page stretch is annoying and makes scrolling though threads a hassle...
All my pictures can be viewed in their original 1920x1080 at Projectbettywhite.tumblr.com
What makes threads a hassle are thumbnails that don't enlarge when you click on them. The other annoying thing is being asked to go elsewhere to see the pics. Every time I see thumbnails, I see someone on their phone trying to do something that should be done on a computer, but are too lazy. ...Just my .02

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
What makes threads a hassle is thumbnails that don't enlarge when you click on them. The other annoying thing is being asked to go elsewhere to see the pics. Every time I see thumbnails, I see someone on their phone trying to do something that should be done on a computer, but are too lazy. ...Just my .02
Free shrug.
If you or anyone else doesn't like the 540 images I use, don't follow the thread? Pretty simple yeah?

Or maybe, just so everyone is happy I should just post 6000x4000 images straight from my dslr?
That would sure make things a lot easier to see.

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
....or maybe you can just be like a normal person and make life easy for the rest of the people on here....you can have your free shrug back.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
It's his thread. Kind of like his truck, he can do whatever he wants so long as it follows the rules and laws......kinda strange how that works. If you click the thumbnail, then click the pop up, it opens up a new tab with the larger image. What I think when I see all this ******** is people to lazy to click and want things their way. Go make your own thread and do what you want in there. Very simple solution to the "problem," and seriously, that's your *****? GTFO with your tender little world that you need everyone to conform to so you're happy and comfortable.
I personally hate screen stretch where the posts go to the right for miles and I have to scroll sideways, I'm out. I upload my pics and however they land is how the thread stays, unless it stretches everything.

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
It's his thread. Kind of like his truck, he can do whatever he wants so long as it follows the rules and laws......kinda strange how that works. If you click the thumbnail, then click the pop up, it opens up a new tab with the larger image. What I think when I see all this ******** is people to lazy to click and want things their way. Go make your own thread and do what you want in there. Very simple solution to the "problem," and seriously, that's your *****? GTFO with your tender little world that you need everyone to conform to so you're happy and comfortable.
I personally hate screen stretch where the posts go to the right for miles and I have to scroll sideways, I'm out. I upload my pics and however they land is how the thread stays, unless it stretches everything.
Now that you've had your little temper tantrum, thumbnails don't always pop up, so clicking on the pop up that doesn't, doesn't work.

·
Old Fart
3,357 Posts
And why am I the lazy one? I'm not the one that's too lazy to post a full size pic so everyone can see the details, even if they are older, and eyes are not so good anymore. Some day you will be in my shoes, don't forget.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Well she's totally done..

Except for the fact the driver side header is off getting sent back to SW.

Still need to buy all new AC parts.. but I've driven it, and it's actually better than the old truck.
Feels much faster than before (different exhaust setup, intake manifold and new tune)

Other than some minor leaks still on the ypipe I made and the leak in the header she was running great.
The exhaust is a little louder than I wanted, but can be drowned out with the system.

All that I have left in the box of new parts is the horn contact a d ignition switch.. and I need to figure out to wonky headlight.

And videos.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmUS1mEhXH1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=j0qn04qx213y
https://www.instagram.com/p/Blx--Mkgu3_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15rimuwektm4i

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 113 Posts