S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW THREAD FOR THE NEW TRUCK!

So, after my First LS-S10 was stolen and wrecked on july 17th, I found a 1992 Sonoma GT in frost white/Argent Grey for sale down the street from my house... I managed to get a loan and buy her on July 26th.

After I gave her a good scrubbing.

She's mostly all stock save for the 235/60 tires, has some minor issues with the electronics:
drive side lock switch does not work, passenger window does not go down, cruise does not work.

There is a very small amount of rust on the bottom inside lip of the fenders, one spot on the firewall, on the door seams, and on the rear of the bed at the tailgate and behind the lights. everything can be sanded down and fixed, no holes!

Cosmetically, the paint is flaking, there are a few dings in the driver door, the door panels have small imperfections, both bumper supports look bent but may be fixable, and there is a melted spot on the center console...

She is complete save for the factory tonneau cover, I have the front/side rails, but no bows, vinyl, or rear rail.
REALLY just small things wrong..

I realize this is an incredibly rare truck with only 806 being made, and only 101 of those in this color combo..
BUT I'm not a purist, so I will restore the body keeping the original colors and scheme. the only cosmetic mod will be using my Verde Parallax wheels from my previous S10.

But she will be getting LS swapped, driving with the 4.3 for the last few days this thing is GUTLESS compared to my old 5.3 lol.

So for the swap, I'll be reusing my 5.3/4l60e and all of my aftermarket parts from my previous truck.. since they are all still good... In an attempt to keep the stock appearance, I will be getting a custom stainless Y pipe made with a single exit coming out the cutout on the passenger side bumperette. I'll also be reworking or making a whole new harness and wiring everything in properly to the bulkhead on the firewall... I want to keep it clean and looking as stock as possible with an LS swap. I'll also switch to a Car intake, and do all the other mods I was putting off on my S10 like stainless brake lines, hydroboost, rebuilding the lsd, etc.

I'll keep this thread updated just like I did the old one..

And just as before, All photos will be posted/viewable on tumblr at projectbettywhite.tumblr.com

·
Daily Dragger
428 Posts
Nice truck. Looking forward to this. I know where one of these trucks is in my hometown and it has super low miles.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
small update...nothing major going on just yet.

Took the front bumper off and managed to get the aluminum support straightened out, so that looks a thousand times better.
Had an issue with the spider injector fuel nut and roadkill fixed it with some high pressure fuel line and clamps..
got the driver side lock switch fixed, did some deep cleaning on the interior, and installed a new pioneer mvh-S501BS with the sat tuner.. swapped over the old Pioneer A-series speakers from my S10.

Not so relevant yet, I got the engine, transmission, crossmember, headers, and wiring harness pulled out of the S10.
found more damage to the cab while crawling around under it... the drive side floor pan is ripped and the plugs have been ripped out, and on the passenger side the front cab mount has separated from the cab.. now I'm really curious as to just how hard the truck was wrecked.
all that is left to do is pull the fuel tank/lines and the front suspension on the S10.. then the plan is to do a mild build on the LM7.
forged pistons/rods, new bearing, mild cam, new torque convertor, and a bbk ssi intake which I'm going for the aesthetics of the cast aluminum and possibly working out some way to attach the stock CPI vortec engine cover to the intake to further add to making it look stock..

as of right now nothing is going to happen until after the 1st of the year, right now I'm just buying new parts and preparing to do this swap the right way.. Though I may swap over the front suspension after I get it pulled out.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
I really wish you could find these trucks here in upstate ny that are worth more than yard art. Looking forward to seeing where you take this one.

Dood, good point. I have three totally rust free 1st gens sitting in a bran near Syracuse... Nice clean southern trux. I also have a 79 Luv that is almost perfect.

And my 4x4 S10? Doesn't even qualify as a yard ornament. Still runs and drives though... :haha:

This thread should be interesting. Nice grab VR

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would find it hard to do much beyond get the electronics working and straighten out the cosmetics. That is a beautiful ride.

I'll be watching with one eye closed.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, it was a really good and very lucky find for me...being in the market for a new s-series..lol
and honestly compared to other base S10s in columbus a fair price IMO.

Further crawling around under the truck I've found plenty of surface rust on the cab between the inner fender, looks like a spot ice/snow/salt builds up... but again it will be fixed properly when the front end is off and getting painted..

Over the weekend I pulled the front suspension and installed my Spohn control arms and viking coilovers *which I've very happy I did NOT find a bent shaft* also swapped over the new proforged steering linkage with billet adjusters...
just need to get the springs adjusted and the adjustments made to the dampers.
only took 11 hours since I had to save everything to throw back on the S10 lol.
Also removed the cat since it was having issues, found the substate was deteriorated, changed the plugs, cap/rotor and wires.
ngk plugs, delphi wires and some cheapo cap/rotor that has brass contacts, and she's running 1000x than before...

next weekend I'm probably going to swap out the the crossmember and install a new transmission mount just because.

In relation to parts I removed, the ORIGINAL Delco/Bilstein shocks were still in functioning condition with no visible oil leaks and still holding a gas charge. after 25 years and 144k, guess that really speaks to the whole "you get what you pay for" since I've been running monroe shocks and they usually crap out after 1-2 years.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
Yeah, you might as well have rubber bands in the place of Monroes... :smoke:

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PICTURE DUMP!

At a friends house a few weeks ago

Because night shots are cool...right?

Dipped the bezel from my S10 so see if I want to wrap the bezel in the sonoma.

Well....it's stock.

And installed leds in the cab today.

I think the red looks good in the gauges and indicator, has a real early 90's vibe.
not quite as bright as I'd like but its a lot better than the incandescents there were there...
Also got bright white for the HVAC control and that looks great.
Had to remove one of the 194 bulbs from the gear indicator because it was just way to bright....so I threw the extra bulb in the glove box.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
I would give my bungholio to find that gauge cluster for sale somewhere...

Truck is starting to look choice...

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would give my bungholio to find that gauge cluster for sale somewhere...

Truck is starting to look choice...
I've seen a few of the sy/ty clusters pop up on facebook for about $150-200 but they have a boost gauge.

And thanks, hopefully it'll look even better once my dad repaints it and I get new decals?

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
I think I could suffer with a boost gauge...

Even if my rig couldn't blow out a birthday candle...

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I could suffer with a boost gauge...

Even if my rig couldn't blow out a birthday candle...
? Next time I see one pop up I relay the info to you ?

Though the damn bezels look like they are also going for about $150 on ebay

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
^ ^ ^ Thanks. I would def take one. If you see one, I'd be all over it.

BTW - the birthday candle reference was for a non turbo engine - no blow - like mine...:haha:

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Planning to get started on paint next weekend if the weather is good enough.
Talking to my dad we're just going to get the cab under new paint since it has a bare spot on the roof, as well as the hood.
Also going to get the new fenders painted.. when I pull the engine, the fenders and everything will be replaced and then we will finish the paint with the Argent grey stripe..

And I scored an older rockford fosgate amp and sub.
P325.2 amp and a P212S4 sub. both work and I only paid $40. going to try building a custom box next weekend.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huh, Haven't posted the dslr shots here yet.

Decided to hold off on paint until I have the truck pulled apart.
Going to strip the interior, fix some rust on the floor boards I found installing the amp. add some sound deadener and replace the carpet.. gonna do this right I guess and get everything pulled apart and fix at once. hopefully If I start in march I can have it back together before July.

Was not able to get the box built for the sub yet since all my dad's tools are dead, so I'm going to a friends next weekend and I'll get one built that will hold the sub and the amp and have room to possibly add a second amp or a fire extinguisher. shooting for a 0.875 cuft box.
right now I've just got the amp mounted to a piece of mdf

and last weekend I drove to the Jegs warehouse and picked up a Extang Blackmax tonneau cover.

Still need to get a bit of weather striping to seal the bulkhead rail.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
I really hope you don't drive this gem in the nasty salt...

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really hope you don't drive this gem in the nasty salt...
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having a winter beater... I can probably steal my dad's truck when it starts snowing but other wise... This is my only transportation for winter.. good news is my commute is less than 10 miles round trip and I drive past a car wash ?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts