S-10 Forum banner
721 - 729 of 729 Posts

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
It has been way too long, Thanks for the update and I like your shop!

Reactions: autoxs10

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #723 ·
Thanks guys. It has been entirely too long. Haha. Plan on having more consistent updates.

Side note..... anyone ever ran speedway uppers flipped upside down? Wondering if I can get the caster setting that I want with less shims? For sure get more droop travel before the arms hit the frame. Or maybe I've had mine upside down the whole time. Haha

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #725 ·
So I got my c5/c6 brake upgrade wrapped up today. Turned the hubs on my friends lathe last night and assembled everything today. Painted any bare metal with black paint to resist corrosion. Adapter brackets courtesy of Travis TranzAm on Facebook, thank you to him for getting them sent out on short order so I could be ready for this weekends autocross at Road America on the kart track. Brackets were clear coated because I like the brushed raw metal look. Thanks to Edward Ko on Facebook for hooking me up with G-Lock R8 compound pads front and rear. I'm excited to see how these do this weekend. In the next few weeks I plan to do stainless braided lines, manual proportioning valve, and abs delete before my first real track day at Blackhawk Farms Raceway on the 28th.

I was pleased to find that these fit under these particular 17" wheels. When I tried this same brake upgrade on my c4 corvette with these wheels, they did not fit. Fortunately, with the ridiculous spacers I have to run on the Sonoma, it pushes the wheel out far enough so that the caliper sits in a larger part of the drum with no interference.

Other pros to this front brake set up. The extra .25ish inch from the brake rotor gains huge clearance everywhere else. I used to have to avoid full lock steering because the wheel would scrape the lower control arm. The tire would also rub frame rail/ sway bar in front and inner fender at the rear of the tire. None of these are a concern now.

First impressions on the street are that I'm officially addicted to performance compound pads and oversized brakes. Haha. The pedal effort compared to stock is very low. If you flop your foot on the pedal haphazardly, you will knock your head off the windshield. Haha. Interestingly, with the stock front brakes, I had front lockup consistently. First application of the new brakes resulted in front lock up but every application after that (~10) resulted in rear lock up. This leads me to belive that there was a compound imbalance with what I had in there before. I look forward to the stainless lines and adjustable proportioning valve to get things dialed in.

Also, I had asked about flipping speedway upper arms upside down (or suggested I may have had them backwards before) well, I went ahead and did it. I think I had them on correctly before, as the shim stacks were fairly equal front to rear before, but now they are rather imbalanced. Ill have to keep an eye on the bolts to make sure they stay tight, but I think it should be ok. What this has gained me is greater clearance between the upper control arm and frame/spring pocket/factory droop stop. In the past, I had issues with arm to frame contact almost every event under droop. I'm hoping this will alleviate the issues. I was still able to dial in at -1.8° camber and 6.5°caster on both sides, so that should be pretty solid. My only unknown in this journey is how it affects the geometry. I have some theories, but I don't know that they are sound at all. Haha. Ill try to get a camera mounted up to see how it looks under compression and droop.

Ill post about how this weekend goes with the new brakes.

·
time to get cereal
5,654 Posts
Glad to see this is still going. Still love those graphics, lol.

I'm finally getting around to doing a brake upgrade myself. I ended up buying the hubs and brackets. Going with manual 98-02 Camaro brakes at all corners, with EBC rotors and yellowstuff pads.

Reactions: autoxs10

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
If anyone else is doing this I have my hubs with ABS and bearings if someone needs a set to machine for their upgrade.

·
I turn.
2,602 Posts
I loved the C5 brakes with Carbotech AX pads - they were strong. I'll be curious to see if you're able to get things balanced with an aggressive compound in the rear though. In f-bodies, parts store ceramic pads are plenty strong in the rear, even for track use. Most who swap to a performance pad in the rear end up going to back to cheapos because of lockup issues, even with proportioning valves set to full front bias.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #729 ·
I loved the C5 brakes with Carbotech AX pads - they were strong. I'll be curious to see if you're able to get things balanced with an aggressive compound in the rear though. In f-bodies, parts store ceramic pads are plenty strong in the rear, even for track use. Most who swap to a performance pad in the rear end up going to back to cheapos because of lockup issues, even with proportioning valves set to full front bias.
Yea, it'll be interesting to see if I can get them balanced. One thing for sure is, you are right about them not being balanced. Rear lockup happens very quickly and easily, which was a real problem on the track.

At the road America kart track this weekend, I struggled in the morning to adjust to the low grip surface. Got it fairly well figured out for the afternoon though and managed to not make a complete fool of myself. Haha. I placed 9th out of 12 in the cam-t class. I didn't seem to notice any ill handling effects on track or street after flipping my upper control arms....so I'm going to let it ride for now see how I like it at the next event.

721 - 729 of 729 Posts