S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 385 Posts

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 4 door 2wd blazer ($650, hence the name :cool: ) and am going to drop a 02 Yukon 5.3L V8 w/ '04 LS6 cam and springs in it for a daily driver. Have been acquiring hard parts for over a year now and finally am able to start the build. PO ran the blazer w/ a popped headgasket, filled the crankcase up to the valve covers! A full 5 gallons came through that drain plug!!

At first I was going to put the combo in my DD 98 ext s10 HO 4.3 5 speed, but couldn't bring myself to tearing it down as it's been a rock solid ride. I am swapping the 8.5" rear, belltech 2102 spindles, PST polygraphite upgraded front end, and ZQ8 box over to the blazer, then selling my truck to fund the project.

Picked the blazer up last Tuesday, 2/19, finally got it pushed into the garage Thursday night and have got the suspension completely torn apart. Waiting to get my truck in the garage this weekend to start pulling it apart to swap all the stock stuff to it and get it ready for sale.

I also got bored waiting on funds and tried to keep my hands busy. Purchased some plastic welding tools and am starting to smooth out the truck intake. Going to put some color on it, just not sure what combo I want to go with.

This is going to be a drawn out swap, so be patient! :D Just started to get the ball rolling on it again trying to knock the moss off the dayum thing.

I've got to pull the heads as the inner cyl valves aren't sealing, hoping I just need to clean the seats up some, then have a buddy that's going to help me go through the 4L60-E to make sure it'll have a long happy life ahead of it.

Plans are to use the 2102 spindles to drop the front and for the time being use blocks in the rear. This is going to be my DD, trying to keep it somewhat tame and also use it for truck duty. Getting a trailer hitch for it and on down the road some helper bags. Once my truck sells the pace will pick up some, can't do anything without the $ to back it up.

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
nice project, love the four doors. you werent kidding when you said it was filled up....holy fock

·
Registered
164 Posts
just you, i see pics. :)

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,073 Posts
ahhh there they are....

Ummm that has to be the worst head gasket leak I have EVER seen haha dam, I agree with kampz... Holy fock

Nice looking blazer for $750, that helps with the budget alot

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahhh there they are....

Ummm that has to be the worst head gasket leak I have EVER seen haha dam, I agree with kampz... Holy fock

Nice looking blazer for $750, that helps with the budget alot
$650 :D But I guess you can call it $750 as I just dropped $114 @ the dmv for registration change only, good god are they getting up there.

If anyone ever needed to know the ENTIRE capacity of the crankcase, think this guy had the answer. I started videoing the drain from removal of drain plug, but got bored after 10 mins.. Hour later the flow slows down enough to see inside the oil pan. Next day it's still draining clumps, very anticlimatic.

Can't wait to cut the oil filter open. When I first removed it, it was cold, black, water, then just this nasty ooze.

Here's the final, glad I had a 6 gallon bucket laying around.

I'll definitely have pics of the carnage once I get the motor out and opened up!

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
now im in the mood for a chocolate shake

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
shamrock shake FTW

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the only one I have hosted at the moment that pertains to this thread.

98 2wd, ext cab, 3rd door vin w ho 4.3, 5 speed, 3.42s, g80, zq8 sway bars, blazer brakes all the way around, pst poly graphite front end, flaming river steering shaft u joint, hypertech pullies, z28 efans with my controller, z85 heavy duty leaf springs, belltech 2102 spindles, edelbrock headers, summit racing exhaust, custom ecm tune by Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh, NC. Think that about covers it. :) oh, spray in bedliner, tonneau cover, vent visors, and hotwire factory radio mod and oil cooler line mod. :D

All the suspension and zq8 rims are going on the blazer so it'll be sitting at stock height with swirlies on it when I sell it.

This is after I installed the exhaust, cut the tip to factory specs, its 3" but looks stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-ONHWLqT8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
4,755 Posts
GREAT score, I want.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all, I do take good care of my junk. :)

Welp, it's on..

Took a little while to get it out, think I spent more time contemplating what I was doing than wrenching. Good shot of the z85 leafs I put on.

It's amazing how heavy this frigging rear is. Is absolutely crazy this difference between a 8.5 and 7.625.. My back is not happy, lol, it's getting more tomorrow. :)

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
I always thought Blazers and S10s had different leaf spring lengths.

Also, just to satisfy my curiosity, what are you gonna want for your S10 when you put it up for sale?

·
4,755 Posts
where'd you get that rear and how wide is it?

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rear came with that truck. It's a L35 / vin w HO 4.3 with 5speed. Rear is stock width for a 2wd blazer/s10. It was a 3.08 G80, a awesome bud gave me a set of 3.42s that I installed awhile ago. Dropped mpg by 2.

3.08 on left, 3.42 on right

I'm being stingy and keeping the rear. Swapping it with the blazers rear which is also a 3.42 G80, but 7.625" ring gear. I also installed the blazer brakes with all new stuff on the truck, so that's going too.

Hoping to get a detroit true trac in there, but we'll see how the budget goes. I hate that friggin g80. It does what it's engineered to do, but not what I want it to do. :D

I'll start another thread when the truck is for sale. It's going with blazer brakes, zq8 sway bars front and rear, and edelbrock headers, don't feel like removing them.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a nice looking truck you're stripping parts off of but it's gonna make that blazer nice
I know what you're saying, but besides the rear I made that truck what it is. I bought it completely stock, not running and put a lot of time and money into it. It'll still be a good reliable truck, just won't be custom.

Have to show this.. Previous owner fix on the drivers latch. Going to be fun fixing it.

8.5 vs 7.625, friggin 8.5 has to be twice as heavy as the other..

Got the rear of my truck buttoned up and have the 8.5 set in place in the blazer. The extendable driveshaft on my truck took up to the other rear fine. E brake cables are a little tight but everything bolted up and works. Don't know why people are making a big deal of the cables, they bolt right up, just have to move one bracket 6" forward on the frame.Hoping to get the front swapped on my truck tomorrow. Thing already looks like its 4wd, has a serious Mullet rake.

1 - 20 of 385 Posts