S-10 Forum banner

Project: 5-link at age 15

108K views 865 replies 168 participants last post by  LowNoma22 
#1 · (Edited)
Current project at Jackson County Customs of Murphysboro, IL
Vehicle Owner: Corey Wermer (LowNoma22 )of Highland, IL at age 15
Fabricator: Christian Rath (cdog24) - who is not 15
Truck: 98 GMC Sonoma ZQ8, bone stock, regular cab, V6, auto, limited slip, 15,000 miles, perfect condition

Corey’s To Date Provided Parts List
SD super pivot 5-link kit.& frame notch
Oasis XD 2000 compressor
Two Optima Yellow Tops
50ft ½ line
50ft ¼ line
Bell Tech 2in drop spindles
AVS 9 switch box and module
SD single port, bolt in bag cups
Slam Specialties RE-6 200 psi bags (front)
Slam Specialties RE-7 200 psi bags (rear)
Eight SMC ½ port valves
3/8 port SMC water trap
SD front shock relocator kit
Two Air Lift dual needle gauges
One Air Lift single needle gauge
Square D adjustable pressure switch
Shorten driveshaft 1” (last week)

Estimated hard parts needed - some still need to be purchased soon or are shipped
Vintage Air
20 x 8.5 Eagle Alloy 025's with 245/35 rubber
ART control arms
Devious Customs Modified tranny cross member
Battery isolator
Lots o' PTC Fittings
Radiator Catch Can
Front inner fenders
Brake fittings
Adjustable proportioning valve (Wilwood)
Loctite
Starter Solenoid for compressor
50ft ½ air line
50ft 1/8 air line
rear roll pan
front shocks
cut off, grinding, sanding wheels
15ft. 9-wire
wiring (comp., computer, etc)
various crap - zip ties, switches, primer, paint, heater hose, tape, connectors, etc.

If anything here doesn't seem right or you think I have forgotten anything (which I have), please post. Items such as guage, computer, battery, and fuse mounts will be fabricated

See less See more
#11 ·
Covered up the stock paint from any flying debris. Then after stripping the frame of GM's boring suspension components and fuel tank, me and Brien went at it with a heat gun and gasket scraper to get the frame to the bare metal

#15 ·
After the frame was clear of the black nastyness and a little rust, it was time to put in the new cross members. I started with the rear crossmember. Then onto cutting out the upper shock crossmember to place the new upper bag bracket crossmember in. Last came the new raised gas tank cross member. I threw some black primer on them to fend off any Southern Illinois humidity. But before that, I ran a few beads on each cross member 'just to be sure' they would stay in place. But not in a place where you couldn't cut the welds if they ever had to be removed

I went ahead and drilled the front gas tank cross member bolt holes up 3/4" and put the tank back in - above the bottom of the frame rails

Charcoal canister bracket got put in its classic position above the muffler, welded a turn down on the exhaust, and relocated the EVAP purge solenoid

#18 ·
Now comes for the fun part. After bolting on the differential bracket and moving the front spring perches up the frame with Jason's template tool, I started lining the rear end underneath the truck. 15 minutes later, after remeasuring the pinion angle, wheelbase, and side to side placement 3.934 times, I tacked the rear end to the frame (ride height). Having the upper link and shortened driveshaft in place really helped keep things from moving around a lot.

Setting the lower bars to 15.5 center to center, the lower tabs where swung in place, measured and squared, then tacked in. Then I cut the rear end loose from the frame. I checked all the measurements again as I ran the rear end up and down through it's range of motion.

#20 ·
JollyRojer said:
looks good, were in the hell did u get that kind of cash to buy all those parts. and pay a shop to do it, along with buy a truck with 15k original miles?!
selling lots of drugs :dunno: :haha: j/k.. no ive been working with my dad since i was 13 and ive been able to save up a few bills...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.