S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing a new Main Wiring Harness on my 2000 S10. It will be the Pro15 from Keep It Clean. So far I have labeled the majority of my Under Hood Fuse Box, and I have started to delete some of the systems that will not be going back into my truck. I got my truck bagged in the beginning of 2008. I had it done at a shop in Alabama were I worked along with the owner to lay it out on 255/35-22s at all four corners. I am not an electrician by any means, but I enjoy working on my truck, and I have a few weeks before I start my next semester. I would have more pictures but my camera got stolen so I just got a new one and I'll take some pics tomorrow when I work on it again. If you have any questons I'll try and answer whatever I can. I just hope you guys can answer some of the many I am going to have.

These are a few pics of the truck before I brought her in for the next round of mods.

3 inches higher then stock to frame on the ground although I need to fix 1 crossmember and finish modifying the exhaust under my tranny before she will completely lay out.

·
Disturbed Image Trucks
6,636 Posts
I am confused. Why are you swapping harnesses? Typically you only do this with a motor swap. How do you plan to make engine run without a computer? Typically most states do not allow the removal of OBD diagnostic systems for the sake of emissions testing.

My buddy swapped over to an SBC in his truck and I wired the whole thing with a generic ebay painless for him. It was a complete PITA. Have fun getting your wipers working, that took a bit of research for me. BTW, truck looks good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am switching it because the wiring under my dash got all chopped up when the truck was being bagged. I was able to get her running in order to drive from Alabama to califonia where I now live but I just cant risk diving around with no turn signals or reverse lights and all the other things I need so the cops dont mess with me.

is there no way to keep my obd port I started to look at how I was going to wire that in but right now I am distracted with the ignition. I was hoping to try and save my computer for my stock 2.2l the truck ran fine even with all the electrical problems.

Lowdime96 I hope you keep following my build it seams like you know a lot of stuff that I haven't got to yet

and i just woke up so I'll start working on those pics

·
Disturbed Image Trucks
6,636 Posts
Hmm.... Interesting. I am sure the cut wires situation really sucks. I really think you are best off purchasing a factory wiring harness. You can buy the entire harness for less than a grand from a GM dealership (dagreenmonster bought one for his 97 2.2L). You could also pick up a parts truck, use the harness and sell off anything else that is good to make your money back. I know in CT they would automatically fail me for not having an OBDII port... they base their entire emissions testing on computer readings and nothing on actual exhaust.

Hell my buddy (the one with the sbc now) still has most of his harness (99 2.2L 5 speed). What part was cut the part that goes through the firewall on the driver's side? Let me know and I might be able to get it for you for a couple hundred bucks shipped.

Either way I will keep my eye on this thread. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it was cut right at the firewall coming inside the dash. I was able to patch it back together in order to move from GA to CA when I got out the army. But I could never fix a lot of the small stuff without completely rewiring whatever it was from blinkers, reverse lights, gauge lights, radio, ext.. The truck runs flawlessly so I am going to save as much of my Motors harness as possible. and a correction on my tire size from my first post I have 265/35-22s not 255/35-22s

lowdime96 so you were unable to use the OBDII connector. I havent traced all those wires yet but what prevented him was it the body control module or the motor control module, because I live in cali, so I have to pass smog but even with my patched setup it still passed.

this is were I'm at right now.

·
Disturbed Image Trucks
6,636 Posts
Thats cool you were able to get through smog testing! Sounds like you should be able to combine the stock harness with the keep it clean one.

When i wired my buddy's truck with the painless kit, i used the site below for schematics on the column and wipers. I disassembled the headlight switch to figure out the different types of connection paths inside of it. Everything works mint now, just like a stock truck would. It is for a 97 truck, so engine scehmatics may be off but the column and other parts match.

http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Chevrolet/1997/S10/SYSTEM%20WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats a good link for diagrams, i have access to alldata but it is always nice to have a backup for a diff point of view.

I havent gotten much done over the past few days I've been stuck lookin at my OBDII plug, and according to the diagrams the tan wire in the 12 slot go's to the airbags (crash not suspension) and the purple wire in the 2 slot go"s to the PCM and ABS, and since i passed smog without airbags or abs those wires shouldn't matter for smog with my new harness as long as im not missing something

·
Registered
1 Posts
thats a good link for diagrams, i have access to alldata but it is always nice to have a backup for a diff point of view.

I havent gotten much done over the past few days I've been stuck lookin at my OBDII plug, and according to the diagrams the tan wire in the 12 slot go's to the airbags (crash not suspension) and the purple wire in the 2 slot go"s to the PCM and ABS, and since i passed smog without airbags or abs those wires shouldn't matter for smog with my new harness as long as im not missing something

So how's the project. Rats ate mine up. Is there hope?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.