S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 2.2l S10. I have been working on this project for about a month now but i have been putting off making a thread for a good while now...mostly because I'm too lazy to upload my pics to phoobucket haha. The truck it the way it was when i got it and it has been having problem after problem for a year now. I finally decided to give in and rebuild it. I also decided, that while I had it out and tore down that I would take the opportunity to build it.

Here is the motor originally...

Im not going to explain every one of these pics as they mainly explain themselves...

Pulled the motor and transmission

Discovered I have a junkyard transmission but I don't mind because it is like new

Look at all of the grease and oil build up due to the previous owners lack of care

Then tore down the motor (I do not have any pics of this process :(....) to discover this as my latest problem. I am unsure how it happened but it wasnt a valve.

We dropped the block off at a machine shop to have it cleaned and bored .040 over. We cleaned parts and got parts in the mail during this time.

We got a 1998 head and intake due to being able to change injectors and the increased airflow of the intake. We got the head just because the intake wont bolt onto a 1994 head and line up properly.

We then got Wiseco 10.5-1 compression flat top pistons (almost too pretty to put in the engine IMO)

We got a header from KO Speed on Ebay.

We got the block back and installed the crank and checked main bearing clearance and rod clearance with PlastiGauge.

Got the cam in from Web Cam :D

Compared to the stock cam

Here is the cam specs card...mainly because I'm too lazy to type it.

Put the cam in and then painted the block and oil pan

Put silly putty on the pistons and put on the head and the old timing set (because I'm still waiting on the new one...) and checked the valve clearance.

Everything cleared ok and i put a coat of paint on the head. (valve cover will be Chevy Orange as well.)

Held the header and intake to the head to see what how it looks. (intake will be painted glossy black.)

Have been cleaning the engine bay a little bit. The truck itself needs washed and polished and i need to eventually get a clear coat put on it.

Here Are some pics of the truck just for fun.

That is all of the pics I have and I will try and post updates daily as this is starting to come together. This is my first vehicle and I am putting all of the love and care that i have into it. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

42,192 Posts
Looks good dude. Reminds me of when I put my truck together for the first time. It's going to be interesting to see how you get the 98 top half to work with the 94's lower end and electronics though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. And yeah my big worry is the electronics. It shouldnt be to big of a deal with the lower end because the head lines up perfectly and the push rods are the same length between the years. The valves opened and closed fine when we mocked it up. Apparently people have done it before though. I hope it works out anyways because I really miss driving that truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch. I spent weeks trying to come up with a paint scheme that i liked and I settled on this but it looks a whole lot better than I imagined it would

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Chevy Orange has always been my color on a motor. I have never really seen any 4 cyl's painted orange so I thought it would be unique.

42,192 Posts
The thing is that 94's have crank triggered injectors and the newer stuff is cam triggered. That and they use two totally different computers. 94 are obd1.5 and the newer stuff is obdII. There's some info regarding all the differences here...
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/2-2-growing-pains-321784/

I painted my motor the same color...

That was the second time the motor came out so it's not as pretty as it was when it went in the time before that. Kinda wish I would have painted it gold now though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I will have to call the company that does this and see what we have to do to make it work. It seems to me though that if it is just some wiring modifications that even with the different triggers for the injectors that when the crank sensor tells the computer to trigger the injectors it will happen if there is no wiring problems. But you probably know more than I do. I'm still fairly new to fuel injection systems. I have dealt with carburated engines all my life. I'll be sure to let you know what I find out though.

42,192 Posts
I'm old school too. I just know after being around here for a few years and doing lots of reading that a lot of 2.2 stuff isn't as interchangeable as you would think, and 94/95's are like the bastard children of the bunch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't updated but I've been pretty busy lately and on top of that I've been pretty sick. I'll try and get an update to you later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again for all of the positive feedback!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts