S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my original thread for this truck:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/progress-pics-of-my-beater-330735/
I decided to start a new thread because all the photos are gone because Webshots shut down.

My truck is a '91 S-10 standard cab, short bed with a 2.5L Iron Duke 4 cylinder, T5 5speed trans and power brakes.

I got the truck for $300. I was about to get laid off from my job and wanted something cheap on gas because i didn't know where my next job would be...

Fall '07
Here it is the day I got it... gotta love the pink and lavender pinstripes and ribbons!

First thing i did was scrub it and get rid of the seat cover, plastic bedliner and the terrible pink and lavender stripes and ribbons. I also got rid of the broken slider window and replaced it with a solid wind that I tinted dark.

I threw on the grill from a Bravada I parted out and a set of matching small mirrors. I also bought a hinged soft tonneau cover.

I pieced together a set of swirl wheels from a few different places and found the center caps on Ebay… along with new tires. I like the big and little Hot Rod look so I went with 195/60/15s and 255/60/15s -small in front so it's easy to turn with the manual steering. Tall in rear for the increased top speed on the highway…

·
Discussion Starter #2
Winter '08

I can't leave anything alone so I started collecting parts to drop it…
Here it is right before we dropped it in front of my friends doored ext cab:

And here it is dropped 5/6 with Bell tech spindles, coils and shocks in front and Bell Tech leaf springs, blocks, and shocks in the back. I later went with angled blocks and Monroe air shocks on the back. Now I can haul stuff without the wheelwell being on the rear tires…

I then started messing around with the idea of round headlights and a modified Bravada grill… I was thinking' of a Pontiac look to go with the Iron Duke (which is a Pontiac Engine)

·
Discussion Starter #3
Spring '08

It was time to start tackling the rust.

I replaced both fenders, both inner wheel wells, bumper and battery tray with new parts and replaced the radiator core support with a good one from a junk yard.
I also bought a wheel well patch panel and made a roll pan for it.

Here it is apart -I cleaned and painted much of it while it was apart.

While I was putting it all back together I made an adapter to put a Hillborn style scoop on the 2.5... I was also gonna throw on a set of 3.5inch and 8inch Weld Pro stars and some Big n Littles for the laugh factor and letter it "91 HP" for a show I went to... this was when gas was up over 4 bucks... I ended up running out of time and never cut the hood….

This was on our way to Cruisin OCMD '08.

Interior is mostly stock… I got a beat up old wooden wheel at a swap meet for $15. I sanded and stained it with walnut stain. Then sanded some of it off and hit it with a transparent red paint. i also made a shift knob out of a spider gear and an old socket and painted it red to match.

·
Discussion Starter #5
Nice truck. Why that shifter though?
Thanks! The shift knob -'cause stock shift knobs are boring... and this one goes along with the theme of some artwork I do.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love that shift knob!

·
Discussion Starter #8
Summer '09

I scored a steel cowl hood for it... traded something i didn't need for it.

I put a whole 400 miles on the truck that year… that's it.

Summer '10

Notice the primer on the fenders and bumper are fading and there's some surface rust…

I threw a GMC grill on it instead of the Bravada Grill… I always liked the GMC grill best. I had picked up another one with a billet insert at a junkyard for 10 bucks but they did a shitty job of cutting it so I had planned to cut this one for the insert…

2011 -i think i put only 200 miles on that year...

My girlfriend was using the truck while she was between vehicles so I made a shift knob out of an old glass doorknob from her Dad's house… he had passed away a couple years ago after a tough battle against cancer. i never met him… she loved the shift knob!

A friend of mine had an old truck of mine that had these black headlights that I bought in the 90s that were made by Phillips for a very short time… I ended up getting them back from him.

The tonneau cover is now gone - a gust of wind got under it on a super windy day and ripped it off and up over the roof, smashing the windshield in the process… great!

driveway shot… the sloloma is my dads… he's now paralyzed and can't drive anymore so it's been staying at my house. He's a 55 chevy fan… he did a great job airbrushing the chrome and ghost flames on it…

Soon after this, my friend was using the truck when he was between vehicles and hit a deer on the way to work. It bent the bumper, smashed the grill, dented the hood and crumpled the right fender… oh well

·
Discussion Starter #9
Fall '12

The truck was due for inspection but still had the smashed windshield. It also needed the front end fixed after clobbering a deer…

Project time again!

It also needed cab corners, half a rocker and a pass side door…

At this point i was torn between doing it two toned Chrysler Candy Apple Red and Black single stage paint I already had bought for it way back in '08 when I started the bodywork OR the '07 Jeep Rescue green that I was in love with… Examples seen in this pic:

WHICH ONE DO YOU LIKE BETTER?

·
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to go with the green! …and am happy I did every time I look at the truck.

Here are some Photoshop pics I did of my ideas for the two tone combination. I used a pic of double_s' truck that i took from this sight to work with Because it was black and had a cowl hood and GMC grill.

I love black on top on an S-10 because the wipers, window moldings mirrors etc all blend in nicely… But I don't have air conditioning so I thought the lighter color on top might be a better idea once summer comes rolling around!

WHICH ONE DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?

·
Discussion Starter #11

From here on I will just copy the posts directly from the old thread since the pic links still work because I was using Photobucket by then.

·
Discussion Starter #14
10-31-12

I finally brought it home during the end of Hurricane Sandy...

Lot's of details on the to do list!
Window tint
smoke turn signal lights
driving lights
paint wiper arms
Plate mount
make stupid chinese tail lights fit better
maybe different exhaust
finish grill
customize bumper
interior
etc

·
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up this pair of ET/Halibrand copies off of ebay to put on my Chevy II.
If I could just find something for the back i'd be happy... They'd look amazing on the truck.

Wish I could find a pair of Mickey Thompson Challengers like whats on my Jeep in the backgroud in this pic

·
Discussion Starter #17
I heard someone say that 90% of the project takes 10% of the time... and the last 10% of the project takes 90% of the time! That's OK i tend to sweat details so i'll post some of the details as i have time to do them.

License Plate.

I had my plate mounted to the tailgate on a flip down plate bracket off of a 3rd gen camaro or a Monte Carlo or some GM that has the gas hole behind the plate. I just liked the clean roll pan on this truck.

I figured I'd do the same thing now that the truck is painted, just a cleaner version... I sanded the flip down bracket and painted it black.

I bought a billet plate frame from Speedway Motors' "garage sale" -it was an open box item that was discounted bla bla bla...

and scuffed it... and etch primed it.

and painted it black

and here it is put together... and this just isn't gonna happen! I hate it! too much white!

So I spent a lil more money and got one of Pennsylvania's specialty "Preserve our Heritage" plates. It's the closest thing to a black plate that we have... much better than the white, yellow and blue.

I'll have to do something about that tailpipe and tail lights...

·
Discussion Starter #18
The hill kinda exaggerates the rubber rake in this pic.... well there's a lil air in the shocks too cause i was hauling a generator.

and the other toys

and some parts waiting to be put to use:

·
Discussion Starter #19
my nephew sent me this pic...

i love the stance but really need to finish my grill, tint those turn signals and shave the bumper bolts...

·
Discussion Starter #20
3-18-13

Scored some good parts this weekend...
Picked up the new heater core.
Then hit the local u-pullit and got the power steering pump and bracket off of another iron duke s10

then grabbed the steering box off of this xtreme! So I'll be going from manual steering box right to quick ratio power box!

1 - 20 of 397 Posts