S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
A few weekends ago I had my vehicle detailed by a fellow forum member, 94blueS-10. I ended up meeting him at S-Series Nats. He had the single cab blue S-10 with chrome 17’s. Anyways I took my vehicle down there and he said that my paint looked pretty crappy, which was true. He said he worked at a detailing shop and could really make my vehicle look a lot better. I took it to him and he said he would take out the scuffs that he could, and could make it shine like black has never shined before. Since he worked at the detailing shop,( Hi-Way Motors in Red Bud IL), he could get all of the supplies needed to detail the vehicle for free, except for the buffer. I had a friend of mine that said I could borrow his. I met up with Clint Guebert (94blueS-10 on the forum) so he could start detailing my vehicle. Everything started out fine. He started buffing with a course cutting compound. When he was using the buffer I noticed that swirls started forming in the paint. I asked him what was going on and he said it was because he was cutting the paint with the course cutting compound. After the course compound, he used a fine cut, and followed up with a finishing compound. One thing that I found to be odd was that he used the same pad, without cleaning it, to apply the course and fine cutting compound, and then the finishing compound. He said that he had forgotten to take the swirl remover and would finish the job the next day. I went home and noticed that you could see exactly where he had used the buffer on my hood, and toneau cover. It closely resembled a holographic baseball card.

The next day I brought the vehicle up to his place of work where he started applying the swirl remover. After the final step, we pulled it out in the sun and you could see exactly where he had used the buffer. The holographic lines still showed up. I told him about my concerns and he decided to try to use black wax on the vehicle. One thing that surprised me was that applied the black wax directly in the sun to half of the truck. Half the vehicle was in the garage, half was out. Immediately the sun BAKED the wax into the paint and he was not able to remove it. He again cut the paint and tried to start back from square one, but with no improvement. When telling him that I didn’t like it his response was that “The average person wouldn’t be able to see it.” I told him the average person isn’t going to be judging a car show, and judges would instantly notice the damage. I asked for a refund of half of the money that I had paid him so I could have a professional fix what he had messed up. He pretty much told me to F’Off and that he took no responsibility for the damage he had caused.

I have been calling him a couple of times a day since the incident trying to get this worked out. He had ignored all of my calls until last night when the “president” of his car club, Midnight Rage, called me up and told me that “Clint isn’t going to give you any of your F’ing money back and if I kept calling him that they were going to kick my F’ing A**.” “My reply was that since the “president” of the car club didn’t misrepresent himself as a professional detailer, and since he didn’t have any part in messing up my paint, he should stay out of the conflict.

I will post pictures of the damage and you guys can let me know what you think. Please post concerns and let me know what you think.

If you would like to get a-hold of him, PM him at 94blueS-10. I don’t think I am in the wrong here, I am just trying to get what was initially promised finished.

EDIT: do NOT give out personal infomation like full names and phone numbers.

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
I know how to detail paint,, I have an extensive assortment of wet sand paper, from 200 grit up to 2500! which is like regular paper it's so fine!

I have a different pad for every fluid I use, I use the wetsand on deep scratches first,
then I use the cutter fluid with the cutter pad!

then I use a scratch compound with a compound pad, cause with the cutter fluid you basically scratch the schit out of the paint.

then I have a finer compound with a pad for that

then I have a poishing compound in a fluid with a polishing pad

then I wax, and remove with a wollen buffer pad..

if you use a pad for more than one fluid or compound, it's like using the gritier compound all over, unless you let the first compound dry, and remove it from the pad, which usually damages somewhat the pad!

Our funeral home has 5 black vehciles, limo, herse, 300c, venture van, and a 1935 olds hearse.

the paint on all of them is better than stock, cause I know how to care for it,

this dude might know a little about what he did, but not all!

he should give your money back at the least,

you may want to contact the local popo and start a file, cause the *president* bascially threatened you on the phone, which is not good.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Dang dude that really sucks. I hate that he screwed your paint up cause that's really the biggest part of a truck. I would be pissed. Maybe you can take him to court somehow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the support guys. I am going to contact s10cyncrvr maybe he can help since he lives close to me.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Yea definatly talk to him. He is a freak like me when it comes to detail and clean paint. His truck pics speak for themselves.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
just sounds like he dont know how to buff i use a wool pad and a black pad and 3m perfect series and it always comes out nice

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is what I am saying, but he doesn't agree. I think S10cyncrvr is going to help me out fixing the problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the support guys. I finally got some pics of the paint this past weekend at a local car show.

Let me know what you guys think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts