S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have 2 10" mtxaudio jackhammers and an mtx jackhammer amp. its been hitting hard till a month ago. once i start up my car it the sub wont turn on til about 3 minutes after i start driving.

i tested my ground, remote, power, and the 3 fuses and all have power going to the amp, amp has the power light on. no heating or electrical light on. checked the splicing between the two subs in the box which is good, fuse near the battery is good.

am i missing something to check? its starting to get cold in ontario so could it possibly just be the cold or is it a wiring problem? once the sub decides to work, it makes a big umph then starts to make the beats and it may cut out random times.

anyone have problem or know of a solution?

thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can check these things tomorrow after work. its midnight so im not going to check but i think the gain is at half the dial. also i am running 0 gauge wire for my ground and 0 gauge for to my battery. and 8 gauge from my sub to amp. its wired for 2 ohm. maybe that may tell more? too big of wire or something? bought from futureshop and he said i could use it. i know enough to wire it myself but i dont understand all the electricity portions so maybe its too big of wire. these subs are also in my grand am 4 door. so the power wire is about 6-7 feet long from battery to amp.

thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have an mtx audio jh600 amp 1200 watt peak power. subs are 2 10" jackhammers, they were bought as a floor model so i didnt get a spec sheet on the subs.

gain is set to 1. which is straight up. crossover is halfway. bass boost and subsonic pointed left. smart engage is off. this was just tuned by me, not by a professional, i just did it by listening.

how would i go about checking the final impedance to the amp? using a voltmeter? which wire would i need to check?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my gain numbers go (left left clockwise) goes 5v, 3v, 1v, .4v .25v. and mine is set to 1 which is straight up.

tried to use my light but i think its not working so ill have to get my dads to check any power again.

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
the final impedance would be calculated by how the subs are wired and by knowing what the impedance of the VC or VC's of the subs are.

here is the sticky
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f27/how-to-wire-speakers-to-your-amp-420733/

you need to match the gain sensativity to your head unit. What head unit do you have? If you look up the specs on it, you should see the output of your RCAs. This is what you will turn your gain on the amp to. Im sure its more than 1 volt.

here are the install sheets for your amp
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/amps/JH300-600_Sheet_1.pdf

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/amps/JH300-600_Sheet_2.pdf

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my deck is a panasonic cq-vd6503. its a 2 din dvd player.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...VD/Technical-Specification/model.CQ-VD6503U.T

heres the specs to the deck. it says output is 2v rms (0dB),600 ohms. does that mean its too high?
subs were bought in the box, but i have a piece out of the box that says 2 ohm and the subs are wired together at the piece, and it uses 8 gauge wire to the 2ohm +,- in the amp

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bobditts can ya try to help me out a little more in this? could it be the ground or the amp? does it almost everytime wont kick in until a couple minutes after started.

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
an you set the gan halfway between the 1v and 3v? or is it one or the other?

as far as your subs, you want them wired to the amp for a final 2ohm impedance. if they are 4ohm single voicel coil wired in series, that would put the final impedance to 8ohms. I would pull the subs out of the box and make sure they are wired like the picture below.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya i looked yesterday and that is how they are wired. then from there they go into the 2ohm + and - in my amp. i found when i grounded my wire, i didnt go to bare metal, just used a screw and drilled in. its been working fine for a few months and only recently started cutting out. could it be the ground?

i did have my gain set to 1v. but after checking the decks output like you recommended it said 2 so now its set between 3v and 1v. so its set to 10:30 oclock. so if my final impedance is 8ohms like you said and i want it to 2ohm how can i change that? or am i wired correctly. the set screws on the box says 2ohm right on it, and can not wire it any differently. its getting frustrating. should i just take it to futureshop and see what they say? could it be the amp failing at all? or battery not enough power? i dont have a capacitor either, cause i dont exactly know what it does, i think it hold power right? if i hook one up would it have power right away? thoughts or am i wrong on that?

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
if they are wired like the pic, then that is parallel, not series and they are infact at 2ohm. If your ground isnt to bare metal, that is a big problem.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The amp has the power light on?
Pull the subs out of the box and check the wiring

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya power light is always on. im going to check the wiring right now. so I SHOULD WIRE THEM IN SERIES right?

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
ya power light is always on. im going to check the wiring right now. so I SHOULD WIRE THEM IN SERIES right?

wire them like the picture I posted earlier - which is parallel.This will be done internally (inside the enclosure). Coming out of he enclosure you will ave 1 negtive wire and 1 positive wire. The negative wire will go in the far left negative connection on the amp and the positive wire will go in the far right connection on the amp. Ill post this link again for ya ;) look at picture number 3

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/amps/JH300-600_Sheet_1.pdf

1 - 20 of 49 Posts