S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i will describe this the best i can. i already have a theory as to what the problem is. i went to start my truck this mornning, and it started up fine, no hesitation. i pull out onto the highway and as soon as i give it some gas, the whole thing starts shaking and sputtering, shifting wildly between 1 & 2. i couldnt go above 10 mph. i thought, oh sh**. there goes my tranny, so i pulled over and put it in park. but, while in park, when i reved it up to 2-2.5 on the tach it started shakin, sputtering, and back firing like a motha. rpms would not go above 2.5. they was some LOUD back fires too. so i got out and made sure all the plug wires were in tight, they were. then i checked the condition of my plugs, they looked good. so i let it run some more, reving it occasionally and it still backfired. after about 20 min, the problem is gone, throttle response is good, i can floor it without it backfiring, etc... so i went to my good old friends at advanced auto. i relayed the problem to them, went outside to see if i could make the problem again, but it didnt happen again. so we concluded that it wasnt anything real serious, otherwise the S.E.S light would have come on. we concluded that water is getting into the engine electrics somewhere, and when the engine warms up, the water evaporates thus eliminating the problem. so, i ask whoever reads this what their opinion is. also, how hard would it be to put in a new coil if i need a new one. what all is involved? any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got it figured out. i replaced both coils and everything seems to work, so far. they were a pain to take out and put back in though. it wasnt to hard, its just where they were located at.

B

·
0 Posts
my 97 did the same thing. i tryed driving it around to see if it would go away and it didnt. i went home and looked under the hood and one of my wires down below came undone. pluged it in and havent had a problem since

1 - 3 of 3 Posts