S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I'm needing some help here BAD. The truck's in the shop. Well, it has been for 2 weeks now. The first problem was the tranny. It had to be totally "rebuilt" according to the tranny people. Now after $1700 later, the truck won't start. There's no spark at the distributor. We replaced the coil, which the other one somehow found its' way to the exhaust manifold and melted the corner of. Then we checked the obvious stuff like wires plug-ins etc.. around that area. Then today we changed the spark control module.. I think that's the name of it. It's flat and C shaped and has 2 plug-ins. Well that's not it either. The only thing left that we can think of is the module that's mounted to the shaft of the distributor. Has anyone had this problem before and how did you fix it?? I HAVE to get this done before the weekend. BTW it's an 87 S10, 2.8 TBI

thanx in advance for any help..

later
Mike

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
make sure the big pink wire has power when the key is on. and yes its possable the hall sensor in the distributor is broken.

·
I rape little boys
1,329 Posts
pull off your rotor button and look in the middle to see if it is..burnt a hole through the middle....check your ignition module??...i third what they said also....check to be sure your cap does not have a hole burnt in it also...you have any codes??..on your ALDL jumper connector a&b....count the flashes of your check engine light.....the forst one should be 12....whihc say system is o.k.....but....just inscase...here is how you read....12..you be...1 flahs..pause...2 falshes pause..then the other codes...easy to understand..jsut though i would clarify...

. Code 13 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Open
. Code 14 Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit
. Code 15 Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) Circuit
. Code 21 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit
. Code 22 Open Throttle Position Sensor Circuit
. Code 24 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
. Code 32 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Circuit
. Code 33 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Voltage High
. Code 34 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Signal Voltage Low
. Code 42 Electronic Spark Timing (EST) Circuit
. Code 43 Electronic Spark Control (ESC) Circuit
. Code 44 Lean Exhaust Indication
. Code 45 Rich Exhaust Indicated
. Code 51 Faulty Mem-Cal or PROM Problem
. Code 52 Fuel CALPAK Missing
. Code 53 Over Voltage Error
. Code 54 Fuel Pump Circuit (Low Voltage)
. Code 55 Faulty ECM
those are the codes.....sooo...check those.....that is really all i can come up with now...let us know..anymore info
Later
kenny

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the info. I'll be sure to check all that this afternoon. As for the ECM fuse or any other fuses, I made sure to check those out yesterday and All's good. I pulled the cap off and didn't notice any burn marks. I'll take the button off today and check. Dayum this sucks! If it's not one thing, it's another huh?!?! lol Crossing fingers...

later
Mike

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey,
I checked the fusebox for any fuse that would be associated with that and all's well. Hopefully I'll get it all str8 today though

later
Mike

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE...:thumbup: The mini's running FINALLY. As it turns out it was the Pickup Coil on the distributor. One of the mechanics had a spare distributor that he basically sold me for $50 complete so I got to replace the pickup coil plus the other spark control module. It was a ***** to get her timed up but it's all good now. I'm looking into getting a blazer soon now. That way I'll have another ride to drive/work on and vice versa. I may have found a 91ish 4dr. 2wd blazer for about $2500. Now I hope I can get it..lol

thanx for the help.
Mike
FINALLY rolling LOW once again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.