S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diztorted Dreamz
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone suggest a good white primer? also is it possible to mix primer with some purple for purple primer? i've heard both ways, thanks

·
it's only metal FUC* IT
40 Posts
for a good primmer go to a body supplies shop and get primmer mix up for you but it depend where in the body work stage you are at and what kind you need as far as "tintalbe" ppg make some but there is really no need for it as long as you can shoot you are at least 2 types of primmer you will need maybe 3 if you got metal showing and if you want a nice flat finsh you going to need to do 2 to 3 coats of 2k and lots of 220 and 400 sanding

·
Diztorted Dreamz
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i'm getting ready to lay into the body work and going go around in primer for a while, yeah i know, just paint it, but was just looking at how to make purple primer, can you just add a little purple to primer as long as it is the same type like enamel or whatever?

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
futuredragger said:
yeah, i'm getting ready to lay into the body work and going go around in primer for a while, yeah i know, just paint it, but was just looking at how to make purple primer, can you just add a little purple to primer as long as it is the same type like enamel or whatever?
no.off the top of my head,the only tintable primer i can think of is ppg k36.it can only be tinted a certain percent(without the tech sheet i couldn't tell you) but at best you might get a pastel lavendar.

·
Diztorted Dreamz
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats sucks, how does everyone get all the different colored primers then?

·
i'd hit it!!
406 Posts
valspar 92b060 is a cream/white colored filler primer

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
Prime it gray or what ever, block it off then use a primer sealer like HoK or something. HoK (I'm sure others do to) come in 3 colors... silver, white, and black. The cool part is you can tint any of these colors with base paints to change the color, so you can take white and add some purple to it. Plus its a little better then rockin just primer in wet weather (Still not the best thing to do though).

·
Diztorted Dreamz
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how much sealer would i need? also whats the prive of HOK run

·
it's only metal FUC* IT
40 Posts
how much would would be by the size of your job a patch whole truck long bed or short ext or reg cab and about 2 coats if you can try to pick up a mil gauge for cheap you dont want to run anything over 10

·
Body Draggin Member
585 Posts
Yeah Spies has a tintable sealer if you want to spend the money. We have 3 3 liters sitting on the shelf because noone wants to spend the money for it....they just settle for rockin the gray stuff.
Chris

·
Diztorted Dreamz
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah its a single cab short bed yota, so it won't take a whole lot, may end up settling for black or gray. Anyone know about the yellowish primers?

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
keystone makes a yellow primer,transtar used to,5 star used to.i've used all in the past on cheaper jobs,they all shrink,the keystone likes to swell featheredges.i wouln't drive around in any of them.i drove my truck in primer for 2 1/2 years while i was straightening the body without problems but then again i layed down a good coat of dp-90 before priming with k-36

and that rings a bell HOK used to make a yellow(and a green) primer.i think the yellow was kp-1 and it was epoxy.don't even know if they still make it

·
Registered
366 Posts
i am about 99% positive that ANY primer can be tinted as long as your tint is the same type (enamel, urethane, etc) ive used about 3 different brands of primer and they all tinted just fine for me!!!

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
you are about 99% wrong.i've used about 100 different types of primer and only a couple were tintable.and i have yet to see an enamel primer

·
Registered
388 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts