S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna primer my truck over christmas break i hope. Can i use rattle can primer on it and then put clear coat on it? Do i have to sand down to bare metal or just to the factory primer? Sorry for the questions being so dumb i'm 16 and new to this stuff. Thanks for any help. I almost forgot the truck is a 1988 chevy s-10 short bed single cab, it has a gmc s-15 bed on it, i dont know if that would make a difference or not? Once again thanks.

Thanks,
Wil

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
I used rattle can on mine, but i dont see clearing it, I know when i get ready to paint ill have to take off the primer so i just sprayed 2 light coats till spring time...

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
there is primer out now that you can go over the existing paint...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
primer sealer

if you go down to bare metal you need to use self etching primer or else you will have major rust problems

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
ok, here is what you need to do. I wouldnt reccomend primeing it becuase it means more work when you paint it, but 2 years ago when everyone was telling me the same thing I didnt listen, so if you dont then I see why, lol. If you use rattle can it will let water through and it can eventually rust your metal. You def dont need to sand to metal or primer, just scuff up the clear coat before primeing it. When you paint you will have to sand all of that primer off anyway.

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
futuresweets10 said:
If you use rattle can it will let water through and it can eventually rust your metal. You def dont need to sand to metal or primer, just scuff up the clear coat before primeing it.
No matter what primer you use, it does not seal out water. What seals out water on any primer is the Sealer...which goes bad after a couple of weeks if there isnt paint on it.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
IntenseMtrsprts7 said:
No matter what primer you use, it does not seal out water. What seals out water on any primer is the Sealer...which goes bad after a couple of weeks if there isnt paint on it.
True, but the better a primer the less water it lets through. water will get through any primer, but rattle can primer is as good as no primer

·
Yes, they're all mine
3,042 Posts
I used PPG K-36 on my truck with K-201 hardner, this stuff is pretty high $$$$ but it is a great sandable primer, its pretty thick so it will level stuff like little dents and wavey stuff in your body out with a little blocking.

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
Ya I used a high build primer along my bed rails when I first primered it because they were kind of wavey, then I block sanded them a little and it was fine.

·
Yes, they're all mine
3,042 Posts
thats what I used it for also. It will also smooth out any factory waves in your bedside also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts