S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read online when primering a surface you are supposed to use primer sealer followed by sandable primer. is there truth to this? would it be enough if i bought some cans of it and sprayed it on bare meatle for it to not rust?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so sandable primer and then primer sealer? is that alli will need and the hood i am painting wont rust/?

·
AA Customs
167 Posts
dupont makes a direct to metal primer sealer. i used it when i shaved my gate. turned out nice but its not real thick so you might want to spray several wet coats. i think that the dtm sealer was like 30bux for a quart plus the activator......

Andrew

·
I <3 Primer
892 Posts
not trying to whore your thread but i didn't want to start a thread basically about the same thing...
i plan on primering my whole truck in 2 tone primer....what are the steps i would need to go by if i am using a tinted primer? what order of primer, sealer, and anything else?
also my truck has been repainted before when the previous owner owned it. didn't know if you would need to know that or not....

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where do you get the dupont sealer?

·
LethalFabrication.com
3,448 Posts
if use sealer after the primer, ur whole truck will be the color of the sealer, only use Sealer right before u spray ur base, or u want the color of the sealer, alot of primers can be used as Strictly primers, and or sealers, and yea u usually dotn sand the sealer

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you did not put sealer on it wouldnt it rust though???

·
vertically challenged
88 Posts
Sealer is the last step before basecoat. The truck has to be painted immediately after sealer is applied.
If you have a lot of bare spots or body filler use an epoxy primer, then after the epoxy is your high build (filler primer)or urethane primer, which is usually grey. The high build filler primer is what fills in small imperfections and has to be block sanded. You don't really want expose it to weather because it isn't water proof, in fact none is other than epoxy.

Primer sealer, basecoat and clearcoat is usually applied withitin a 72 hour span so plan ahead.

I'm running around in bright white epoxy primer from PPG (DPLF 48).

·
AA Customs
167 Posts
we have a body shop supply store in town.... i would just ask around in your area or any of the bodyshops, that would be my best guess
Andrew

·
Imports are bad mmm'kay
1,044 Posts
There two types of sealers, I think that's where you may be getting some confusion. There's a metal sealer and there's a primer sealer. Metal sealer goes over bare metal to seal off the metal to protect from rust. That type is most commonly referred to as an epoxy primer or acid etch primer or self etching bare metal primer. But basically it's a metal sealer, and some companies have sealer called metal sealer. A lot of paint companies call the same thing by different names, so some people that use those products will refer to a product that does the same job by different names. A primer sealer is most referred to as just plain sealer and it's put on over primer spots or entire cars even before the base coat is applied, and the sealer seals off the primer and helps protect the base from the solvents in the primer and also help the base adhere better. Urethane Filler Primer does very well over body worked areas and on filler and to help fill in sand scratches and it's great to level everything out with, but it has very poor adhesion to large areas of bare metal. It has good adhesion on smaller areas, but poor adhesion on large areas. Once to test this, just to see if it was true, I sandblasted an old hood laying around and then primed it with just the urethane filler primer, and sure enough its been slowly chipping and cracking off ever since.

·
Imports are bad mmm'kay
1,044 Posts
Actually, I don't know why I didn't suggest this earlier, absent mind I guess, but if you want to check out this site, http://www.performancecoatings.dupont.com click on automotive finishes, then products, then technical manuals, you can get tech sheets for all the dupont primers, sealers, base coats, clears coats, and pretty much all their other products and speciatly coatings. That way you can look at some of the tech sheets for more information and to see which products do what and their names and product codes so you can be better prepared for your trip to your local body shop supply store. Since DuPont is also the maker of Spies hecker, standox, nason, and the hot hues line, all those tech sheets are included also. I'm sure that PPG probably has a site like this if you were wanting to use those products, but since I just use Dupont products on my own, I really have no need for that site, but someone else may have it, if you are interested in PPG.

·
vertically challenged
88 Posts
www.ppgrefinish.com I'm not sure if they have their tech sheets online. They are starting to crack down on who uses their products because the Gov't is cracking down on them. I've went through the collision program so I have PPG's current info bulletin. So check out the website if you find a product you want more info on let me know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts