S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are doing light body work to your truck, what is a good primer to use until you get it painted. I heard that spray can primers sometimes don't mix with paint. Can't you just spray on a thin coating so it can be sanded off when the truck is painted? I have a few rusted spots on my tailgate and wanted to sand then down and fill them in................any suggestions on primer

·
Early Member
3,135 Posts
Spray can primers are ok. Just make sure the surface to be primed is real clean. The key to getting any paint to stick to primer is lack of oil, dirt and good surface prep.

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info !

·
Early Member
3,135 Posts
Okie dokie

·
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
295 Posts
if there's bare metal, dont spray can it. it will cause rust down the road because spray can is a single stage primer and doesnt seal water out as well as 2 part vehicle primer like you use a gun for. at least thats what my auto body teacher says

·
Early Member
3,135 Posts
Primer from a spray gun will rust also.

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do they make a spray can primer with resists water. I just need to cover some spots until the spring when the truck is painted...........

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you can just prime it and then give it a shot of a colour that's close to the original to get you through the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts