S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 947 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting this thread, as a way to keep motivation for this endeavor. I have been reading a few of the build threads( KM346,jamie wallace) to name a few. The urge to move up is increasing as the "winter" draws to a close.

My initial plan is to have the parts ready to get the swap to a stage of drive ability by April 2k13, and working 4wd by June.

I'm shooting for a D30/35 combo SUA in the front on 33's, nothing too dramatic,but enough for what I currently do. I will be Daily driving this so ride comfort is a must, assuming I can get it streatable by April, it will be going on a cross country trip second to last week of May.

here is the list I have compiled so far.

ORD SFA kit
D30/35 Replaced with D44HP/ D60FF
RC8004 Springs
jb4x4 high steer no longer needed/ replaced with Hysteer on D44
Rear hose from a K1500
Front hoses extended for a YJ
rear k1500 shocks
rear '01 f350 shocks for the front
NP231 from a first gen
modify stock Trans crossmember
Jegs Baja8 in correct bolt pattern 15x8 wrapped in 33x12.5 Hankook Dynapro MT. wheels replaced with Hummer H2 stocks tire size still up for debate.

That's what I have worked out to use, I'm still reading to figure Ujoints, and front Dshaft.

If there is anything you suggest me to consider as an alternative to what i have feel free to mention it. I'd like this to go as smoothly as possible.

This is the image that started this adventure back up. curtesy of jamie wallace

·
Flame It ALL
8,853 Posts
Re: Prep for the Ascent

Subbed, will be keeping an eye on this one. Jamie's truck looks bad ass!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

Try to find a 8.8 rear and stay clear of the turdy 5. The front shaft is commonly used from a exploder.

·
Life's too short for IFS
748 Posts

I'm assuming that is the old TTB setup I want the shaft from ?
Yeah 1st gen exploder should do it, but if you can't find one just grab a shaft out of an XJ. Either one will have to be shortened for the amount of lift your planning.

X2 on the 8.8...

Dont spend a dime on a d35. Only way id run one was if it came with the front axle for free / insanely cheap and you just wanted to get the truck drivable. (while looking for a good deal on a 8.8)

·
04 CHEVY S-dime ZR(2+3)
258 Posts

hell yeah... it would be nice to have another trail buddy when I go up with my brother in-law. we just did Elwood pass near wolf creek over thanksgiving break he's up in Thornton area and does most of the trails near Estes park. we might do Mt. Holy Cross sometime this spring if i ever get my $#!+ together... lol

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Thought I posted this morning, I must have forgot to hit send lol. X4 on the D35 the 8.8 is better and stronger than the stock diff, where as the D35 would actually be weaker.

Also unless you really need new brake lines your stock ones will work just fine. I have the RC8004's spring over and still have lots of brake line left.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

hell yeah... it would be nice to have another trail buddy when I go up with my brother in-law. we just did Elwood pass near wolf creek over thanksgiving break he's up in Thornton area and does most of the trails near Estes park. we might do Mt. Holy Cross sometime this spring if i ever get my $#!+ together... lol

Sweet deal, I have only lived here for little over 2 years now, and only driven Hagerman. I'd like to get out to more trails this year, so long as funds/work/womans permit.

So ditch the 35 go for 8.8, I think I can remember that.

good to know on the brake hoses, the stockers would save me some coin,and get me by until actually start useing it.

I'm still keeping my eye out for a cheap waggy, in the unlikely event i find one, updates will be had.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hoping to pickup a 30 for $75 tomorrow, decided to keep the 10 bolt in the rear untill I can figure out the Parking brake setup.

now to decide if I should make a bastard packor buy new 4" waggy springs.

·
Registered
724 Posts

with the stock rear, spring over + a add a leaf, i had to use ZR2 ebrake cables to be able to hook up my ebrake. just a tip for ya to make it easier

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

thats good to know.

I am planning on going to a an 8.8 with disks, but I have to have a parking brake, havent looked at an 8.8 to see how the Pbrake is setup on it yet.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts

ebrake cables are easy. This is how i did the 8.8 in my old wrangler. I did the same thing with my blazer when i swapped rear discs in. jeep has been like this for about 4 years now no issues. My jeep and blazer were both 5 speeds so i had to have a working e brake.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

ebrake cables are easy. This is how i did the 8.8 in my old wrangler. I did the same thing with my blazer when i swapped rear discs in. jeep has been like this for about 4 years now no issues. My jeep and blazer were both 5 speeds so i had to have a working e brake.

Thats what i wad concerned with looks pretty streight forward.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
145 Posts

rear disc brakes with the inner drum shoes are parking brakes, not an e-brake. there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Its all Semantics.....

After looking through Km346's, and Jamie Wallace's threads, I have started putting together a list, Being as their builds are most similar to the path I am on currently.

So far I have the following picked out and waiting for the Green shit.

G2 4.56 R&P
JB4x4 crosover bracket
3-6" Drop pitman for 78-79 ford
TJ single piece long side shaft.
perches

That should get me to a point I am ready to mock up, then once my ORD kit arrives I can start on the fun.

the Rear is going to just get flipped for the time being, Untill I pickup an 8.8 to regear. all hopeing that will be next month .

1 - 20 of 947 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.