S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Engineer, Member SAE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 95 4.3 extended cab and like new power train. Auto 2WD

Is there any limit to the years after 95 that the powertrain will fit in (motor and driveline swap?)
I have all the parts- new AC system, ECM etc, its mainly "what years will the motor and driveline bolt into?

·
Been there Done it
7,489 Posts
1995 was the last year for the CPI and TBI 4.3 engines. Anything after that 1996 up will be the Vortec 4.3. (Not to be confused with GM calling everything Vortec). It is an actual series of engines that started in 1996 and ran through the early part of the 21st century in both V6 and V8 configuration. It is easily identified by the vertical 8 bolt intake manifold.
Your 95 engine will not work in any 96 or newer w/o major wiring and computer mods. Among other things. The 95 drivetrain will work back to about 92 in some vehicles. Farther if it's TBI.
1995 ECM and transmission are one year only.

·
Engineer, Member SAE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The engine is a stamped steel pan and the Wiki indicates "95" The manifold bolts are slanted to the head.

Im thinking of stealing everything out of the 95- except putting in the new crate long block (after massaging the pistons and heads of course...polished cylinder domes and piston crowns are big fun...) it has a totally remanufactured drivetrain, AC system, fuel system.. its a Delco parts store on wheels, just that the chassis rusted faster than I expected.

SO basically that means it all would "fit" in a later year chassis as long as the motor and trans mounts are the same?

And... just found a clean 94

·
Engineer, Member SAE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS for anyone tuning in, my local GM dealers PArts Dept said the same chassis was used up to 2001, suggesting that at least a motor and trans swap will work up to those years.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im thinking of stealing everything out of the 95- except putting in the new crate long block (after massaging the pistons and heads of course...polished cylinder domes and piston crowns are big fun...) it has a totally remanufactured drivetrain, AC system, fuel system.. its a Delco parts store on wheels, just that the chassis rusted faster than I expected.
If it's only chassis rust, then i'm assuming this is going to be a frame swap? Looking at it from that perspective any fame up to 01 as you stated should work. i think that would be the best way to approach it then trying to swap harnesses dashboards etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts