• save up and buy a better setup?

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you who are looking into so called better bearings and belts for your powerdyne, like the kevlar belt, and whatever bearings people say are "better". They are completely false, the kevlar belt was used like 8 years ago, and they shred in about 10,000 miles, and for the bearing?, they may have gotten better over the years, but the so called better ones are also from years and years ago. So no luck on better parts for the p-dyne.

And for the xb-1a replacement gear driven powerdyne, it will not fit in the stock brackets, and will not even fit under the hood even if it did fit in the brackets. My p-dyne also has the bd-11a model number on it, when in fact it is the bd-600. The person at p-dyne that was responsible for doing the tech plates on the p-dynes apparently didn't care what he was stamping on the chargers. I don't know how long this was going on for, but my guess is a pretty long time since most of you have the bd-11a stamp.

and i'm a little frustrated right now, i've had the s/c in 2 times for repairs, bearings and once for the belt. And now it is due for a third time, cause apparently it can't be fixed right the first or the second time!!!and could cost anywhere from $200-$500 to repair it, depending on what's wrong with it. And $1,400 to just buy a new s/c!!

i'm really contemplating just trashing it, i'm sick of the bullshit. Now thinking of going n/a.

·
TURBOS SUCK
765 Posts
Sorry to hear 'bout your bad experience with the s/c.Don't waste
your time and money on it and get the good stuff.You know what
I mean!!!!!!!!!!! Go Mach Performance!!!!!!!!! PEACE>Tony

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear that! I'd say fix it but dont take it to powerdyne to get it fixed. Get the ceramic bearings. You arent going to see that much gain for the money you will spend by getting a vortech over the powerdyne. I really thought the powerdyne was good as far as performance goes. Im running faster with my powerdyne at the track compared to the Vortech. Just fix it. How much would parts cost if you were to fix it yourself?

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post prices when I get it fixed, problem now is how to get the bearings out, the blower is all apart right now, all the bearings are shot except the one that the pulley shaft goes through(the front one just behind the front of the case behind the pulley):twiggss:

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
lou2uall said:
I will post prices when I get it fixed, problem now is how to get the bearings out, the blower is all apart right now, all the bearings are shot except the one that the pulley shaft goes through(the front one just behind the front of the case behind the pulley):twiggss:

I think you have to put the unit in an oven to expand it so you can take those bearings out. I rememebr i wanted to do that if i ever had to rebuild mine. But i never got to that point. Some guy on superchargersonline.com wrote a DIY on how to rebuild your powerdyne s/c. I would check that out. Goodluck

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
Re: procharger

A93s10267 said:
Forget the vortech and the powerdyne junk. go with the facts and power, go with procharger. THE BEST

jim
I busted my a$$ for the vortech. And im still broke. I cant even fix my oil pan that i cracked cuz no $$. So i think thats the last thing lou2all wants to hear. Yeah it is the best, but whats the point if no $$.

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah food, clothes, and a roof are #1 on my list, so yeah money is tight...I can only dream, until the truck is paid off, only 11 months to go!!

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
do you have bearings for it ?

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no bearings yet, still cannot get the inner pulley bearing and shaft out, so i need the part #, but i woul;d assume it is the same as the outer pulley bearing. The impeller shaft is out, I grilled supercharger:dunno: ....then i hit the s/c with a rubber mallet, and had the shaft on a thin peice of wood, which was on concrete(and the bolt at the end of the shaft. So after numerous hits it slowly made it's way out of the bearing each time i hit it. The problem is the bearing is still stuck in the s/c.

I am going to a machine shop that should more than likely be able to pull the rest apart. Then the new bearings, and i might just have the shop press the in right away.

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
You can only get the procharger from machperformance!!!

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$30 for a machine shop to help take it apart, and press it back together.
$166 for all 4 bearings.
Then the the oddball stuff like lock-tight bearing seater, and lock-tight thread sealer. $20

Since I now know what parts to get, how to take it apart and put it back together I could do it for under $100, and probably do it in a few hours as long as i do it in the morning during the week while the machine shop is still open(they close at 2:30pm). This was without replacing the internal belt, since it was less than a year old

Now for some of you it might vary, since I had access to a pulley puller, and the machine shop was actually a hook up from my friend. I was charged $20 for taking apart what I could not get, which was the two inner bearings and also the pulley shaft that needed to come off to get the inner pulley bearing off, took about 1 hour to a hour and a half since we had to piece together what would pull the stuff off, and heating it up since they used lock-tight on the inner bearings. Then it took about a half hour to press it all back together, I already had the two outer bearings pressed in, and the inner pulley bearing was already on the shaft.

So I spent about $216 on the rebuild, and since I was over charged for the bearings, had to buy the lock-tight for the bearings and the bolts(two different kinds). If i did it again I would more than likely not spend over $100, even if I did replace the internal belt.

Also I did not use the bearings that powerdyne uses. The guy I bought them from uses these bearings in his bd-11a on his porsche 928, which he track races. http://www.928motorsports.com/ The reason he does not use the bearings powerdyne uses is the ceramic bearings he found to fail easily, they are great bearings for high rpms, and run cool, but they are not intended to carry a load that the internal belt creates. I got the same stories from bearing shops also(3 different shops). Makes you wonder why they use them?? Not to really cut powerdyne down, but I think part of it is political to stay in business(lets not use to good of bearings otherwise they will last too long, and we will not have alot of repairs and loose money and have less work for our people). But same goes for everything else too, road construction, car manufacturing ect....

Day one on the bearings and about 60 miles, everything is great

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
Awesome braaaaaaaaaaa! I hope that lasts you for along time!

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well it's been 2 weeks now, one of the impeller bearings literally fell apart, i don't think the impeller is no longer usable. Powerdyne wants $185 for a new one. They claim that the impeller has to be balanced with all the rest of the internal parts, which is a load of crap(they just want to rape for cash). The impeller is round, much like the pulleys on your accessories right?you can put it together an old way as long as the pulleys are balanced. This isn't a timming chain or anything.

I think what happened was we did not use enough bearing seater on that inner impeller bearing and it broke loose and shook itself apart, then made the impeller have to much play and it scraped itself up. The blower ended up seizing when i pulled into the parking lot at work. The outer impeller bearing seems to be slightly bad just because of the affects that the inner one had on it, both pulley bearings seem to be ok, one is questionable the other I know for sure is good.

check this out for some laughs

http://www.carreview.com/Forced,Induction/Superchargers/Powerdyne,Superchargers/PRD_2186_2877crx.aspx

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
Re: procharger

A93s10267 said:
Forget the vortech and the powerdyne junk. go with the facts and power, go with procharger. THE BEST

jim
really, which one of the 3 do you have ?

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
lou2uall said:
well it's been 2 weeks now, one of the impeller bearings literally fell apart, i don't think the impeller is no longer usable. Powerdyne wants $185 for a new one. They claim that the impeller has to be balanced with all the rest of the internal parts, which is a load of crap(they just want to rape for cash). The impeller is round, much like the pulleys on your accessories right?you can put it together an old way as long as the pulleys are balanced. This isn't a timming chain or anything.

I think what happened was we did not use enough bearing seater on that inner impeller bearing and it broke loose and shook itself apart, then made the impeller have to much play and it scraped itself up. The blower ended up seizing when i pulled into the parking lot at work. The outer impeller bearing seems to be slightly bad just because of the affects that the inner one had on it, both pulley bearings seem to be ok, one is questionable the other I know for sure is good.

check this out for some laughs

http://www.carreview.com/Forced,Induction/Superchargers/Powerdyne,Superchargers/PRD_2186_2877crx.aspx
well dude. i hate to say it. but i'd loose that thing. sounds like a money pit to me.

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
Damn man, sorry to hear that. Seems like anytime u post its always bad news. When are we gonna hear some good news? Anyways hope you get all that mess cleared up. Goodluck and never give up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts