S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....pretty soon, im going to put a system in the car *finally*. however, i dont like the thought of having to pull carpet and trim pieces to get the power wire from the battery to the trunk of the car. if i got wire insulation/cladding, and electrical-taped it closed, ALL THE WAY from where it comes out of the engine bay to where it goes into the trunk, would that be safe/ok? if not, ill run the wire under the carpet and everything, but being as i wont have the car past early summer, i dont want to have to pull the carpet/trim up a second time to retrieve the wire.

·
Needing air member
542 Posts
if you hit a bump and it falls your screwed... drilling a hole in the bottom of the trunk isnt the smartest thing either.. rust from inside out.. but if its only a beater who care do it and takeing it out is really easy if you put it inside.. Just use the old grip and rip technique

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, id connect it to the frame with zip-ties. and i was planning on using a hole under the spaer to run the wire thru, no need to drill a hole. and as my mom is getting the car when i get a Blazer, i cant give it back to her trashed. believe me, if i was keeping this car, i would be doing a LOT more to it than a system i can take out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i ran a piece of hose with a wire through it all the way from the battery down the frame to the back of my jimmy strapped to the frame for over a year now.. no problem what so ever.. works great

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oooh i never thought of that....i could bet some large-diameter air line, and run the power wire thru that.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
You can do it. Some guys run plastic piping, others conduit, others just run it in loom. Make sure it's well secured and away from fuel lines. Just think of worse case accident senario's and route it accordinly.

Good luck zip-tieing to the frame on a uni-body car thought. :D

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
adam728 said:
Good luck zip-tieing to the frame on a uni-body car thought. :D
u'll have to screw it up to the bottom of the car...just run it through the car and u won't have to worry bout anything...tkaing the wire back out is very easy!!

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
i zip-tied my 0 guage wire to my fram when i did my system and it hasn't even budged any. just make sure they are tight enough and they won't move at all. just don't cut the ties too short. if u want pics i can post pics of my wire running.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it seems a lot easier to me - fish wire thru line, zip tie line under car. pull wire thru engine bay and trunk. connect. as opposed to pulling all the carpet on one side of the car up, from the firewall to the rear seats, to run one wire. i was thinking about that, with the unibody, and went up to check it out, and there's all kinds of small holes on metal parts that i can zip-tie to.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, could you post the pics? that would help out.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1999 Nissan Altima.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its whats referred to as a second gen Altima. i believe thats 1998-2001. the 2002-2004 are the third gen Altimas. unless anyone can tell me that RCA's shouldnt be run outside, id just run them beside the power wire - and I'll be using quality RCA's and line, so im not worried about static pickup on the RCAs from the power wire.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
I don't care what quality RCA's you use, don't run them next you your power wire!!!!!!!!! Also, you are going to have to find a way to fish the RCA's out the firewall, all the way to the back, and then back in. It'd bea easier to just run them under the door sills. It's not really that hard. I think if you run everything outside it's going to be more of a pain in the end than it's worth. Power wire is one thing, but all your wires is another. I've only seen the power wire done for 2 reasons:
#1- amps mounted in a pickup bed
#2- systems using wire like 0 gauge, where running under the carpet is almost impossible

I know I told you how you could do it, but I'd say just do it right and be done with it. It's not that hard, easier than crawling underneath an Altima.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shit....ill go up and look, to see how hard pulling the trim and carpet up is going to be. its gonna be really fun running the wires in my Blazer...

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hell no its not. i just got back from looking....there are no readily apparent holes in the firewall to run lines thru (checked EVERYWHERE in the engine bay AND in the footwells), the trim wont come up w/o breaking, the carpet seems glued in place, and there are no alternative ways to run the line in the car (cant take the damn console out). ill probably wind up doing the under-the-car route, which will be very simple - pull power line thru air hose, pull RCA's and remote thru another hose, zip-tie them under the car. attach RCA's to HU, power wire to battery. finished. as opposed to ripping the seats out (yes, this must be done in this car to get to some of the trim pieces), pulling the carpet up, risking breaking trim pieces, winding all the lines thru the firewall and the dash.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts