S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I have power windows added to my 2001 extended cab Xtreme at the dealership? Is there anywhere else that will do it? How much?

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
sfzTrumpet said:
Can I have power windows added to my 2001 extended cab Xtreme at the dealership? Is there anywhere else that will do it? How much?
you can count on the dealer charging BIG $$$$$$$$ thay are rapists!:bash: :cry:

·
Registered
99 Posts
don't they have aftermarket kits that go for like $150? you can also chose the type of switch you want. thats if your handy enough to install them yourself. i have to clue on how difficult they are to put in so....

i know i saw a site with them but i can't remember what the addy is right now. when my brain starts to function again and i remember then i will post it.....unless someone beats me to it

·
Registered
9 Posts
addy

Spal makes a kit.....I have it in my truck. They are pretty fast as well.. The site is http://www.spal.com

jim

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
I picked up the VPA kits for both windows and door locks.

I think it was around $150 for both together. Took me about 10 hours one saturday to do it up on my baby.

It may take less but I did a lot of custom work installing it. Had to fabricate my own pull rods for the locking mechanisms since I have my crossovers in the door panel as well.

Finally spliced wiring to make extensions to the switching mechanisms since I didnt want them in the doors, hehe.

Windows took a while to figure out where to mount the motor... no joke. First side I did took 5 hours, the other was 10 minutes (had to find placement and fabricate a second mounting bracer for extra support).

Once you find a spot to mount the motor, the kit comes with adapters to connect to the crank shaft and viola... power windows.

I've had mine for almost a year now and they are still running good. The only downside is that the plastic covers that come with the kit are ugly (the covers pop into the door panel where the manual cranks were)... so that just means I redesign the panels when I finish the interior this month.

I got the VPA kit from Stylin Concepts too... I recommend doing it yourself. It builds character and trust with your truck; pride comes with hard work, not paying a shop to do it for you =)

Hey thats how we build cars and trucks... "move that $hit over there, it'll look better."

lol

good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
99 Posts
thats it

autoloc......thats the site i was thinking of. damn it, it was killing me that i couldn't think of it. thanks pewter01

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Re: thats it

LORD MASTER GOD said:
autoloc......thats the site i was thinking of. damn it, it was killing me that i couldn't think of it. thanks pewter01
hahaha, glad i could help

·
anyone in Ft Lauderdale ?
53 Posts
i have a 1998 Blazer, without power windows. i would like to install a power window setup from OEM used doors. does anyone know if the factory window harness is already in the truck somewhere, and i can just "tap" into it? or do i have to run the whole harness from fuse block and all? i would think from a production standpoint, all the trucks would have the same harness and the factory (or dealer) just adds power windows as needed.... i could be wrong........if anyone knows, please reply...thanks!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I don't think the wires are run... There is the whole plastic harness, but there are no wires on mine... Mine was completely no power and I have 2 wires running to the doors through a big harness... and they are for the door speakers. I added power windows and locks a little while ago, and it really is pretty simple... And to get the wires there, just run the wires through the rubber boot in the door.

DogP

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
you'll have to run from the fuse box to the relay for the switched motor.

also... I replaced my vpa kit a week or two ago with direct oem swaps from www.a1electric.com

I am 500% more pleased than spal or vpa. I recommend dropping the cash on these the first time and save the time hassle and money.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey Kalgor... weren't the oem ones a lot harder to install? It looks like you have to pull the whole window out to do that... What was wrong w/ the Spal/Vpa? I just put Spal in last month and they seem to be great... they were simple to install... but I don't know if there is something specific that is wrong w/ them could you let me know so I can watch out for it? Thanks,

DogP

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
I had my lady friend hold the glass up while i pulled out the scissor mount for the glass.

pain in the arse the first time, but the other door once you do the first goes much much faster. but believe me its worth it.

the vpa kit i had kept breaking and noisy and took forever to roll up and down.

i would never recommend or even install that kit again. the spal looks a little better than vpa, but its still not a true power motor unit.

if you need pics or anything, let me know

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Kalgor said:
I had my lady friend hold the glass up while i pulled out the scissor mount for the glass.

pain in the arse the first time, but the other door once you do the first goes much much faster. but believe me its worth it.

the vpa kit i had kept breaking and noisy and took forever to roll up and down.

i would never recommend or even install that kit again. the spal looks a little better than vpa, but its still not a true power motor unit.

if you need pics or anything, let me know
did you do a first gen that was not power anything im abou tto do it have thekit but tyring to figure out how to cut the holes to run everything... an ideas on that?

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
hutch, which kit do you have?

i've done a1electric (currently have on) and a vpa kit... vpa and spal are the same concept tho...

im gonna IM you :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hutch... my Spal kit has specific instructions for how to mount all the stuff on an s-10 if you would like, I can scan it in... all it did was confuse me because it was for a first gen and they didn't have one for the 2nd gen... but it should help you. Let me know and I'll scan it. And as Kalgor asked... what kit do you have?

DogP

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
I talked with hutch... hes good on hookin it up and such, his issue was a firewall hole to run wires from the cab to the door... his 1st gen doesnt have pre-existing firewall holes to the door.

*shrug* Hammer and Nail :) or drill it while detached fender...

-kal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts