S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 98 Jimmy since May of 02. Since I have had the power window on the driver door get stuck down three times on me. I have since figured out how to get it unstuck (helping the motor get its ass moving with a screwdriver pushing on the gear a little bit). Now the problem I have is it is stuck up. I have heard around the web that the driver window getting jammed was a common problem. Is this true? Does anyone know a fix for this and have details of how to do it? Was looking at getting a new power window motor and regulator...anyone had this problem and done that?
Im kinda getting tired of pulling into McDonalds and not being able to get my food through the window.
:gayflag:

·
Black & Red
188 Posts
Ha! I had this same exact problem with my '96 SlimJim. I went out and bought a new window motor and everything for it... Went to change it out... drilled the rivets out... but never could get the freakin' assembly out of the door. So, after I got tired of messing with it, I put bolts back in where the rivets were so I could close it back up for the night, and it started working fine. And has been ever since. I think the rivets wear out and get loose after a while. Just try replacing the rivets with bolts and see if that works, is cheaper than buying new assembly and a helluvalot easier to change. Just make sure the bolts have flat or flush heads so the gears don't hit them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad drilled one rivet out to try to releave some pressure but not all of them. i will try that and see if it works for me. im getting tired of having to go into restaraunts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Replacing the rivets makes sense.I have an intermittent window problem and have had the door panels off,lubed the tracks and while checking the window operation i noticed movement of the motor ass'y.I'll replace the rivets with nuts/bolts.Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of the rivets in question so I can drill them out just wanted to know which ones
HD Dave

02 Xtreme Ext. Cab

·
Electrical Mod
56,129 Posts
There are four rivets, they attach the reg system to the door. It's easy to spot them once you get the door panel off. And wow this is an old ass thread. I was wondering why I never heard of these people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
do you have a photo of the 4 main rivets, can you drill while its installed on the door or do you have to take it out of the door?

HD-Dave

07 Street Glide
113 CI

2002 Xtreme S-10

·
Electrical Mod
56,129 Posts
You can't remove it until you drill out the rivets, Idon't have any pics, but once you remove the door panel and the paper or rubber sound dampener, they are right there. You see the heads and it holds the reg to the door. So there will be unpainted metal and painted metal overlapping. They are basically the four corners of the reg. Drilling them out can be a bitch, I ended up using a cut of wheel, cut a cross pattern in them and use a chisel to break them off, worked pretty well for me.

·
Chopper! Sic balls!
39,350 Posts
u can drill em out easy,just don't press on the drill hard or they'll start spinnin on ya thats when you'll have to bust out the chisel or side cutters. on a side note i was about to ask for pics of blazinlowchik before phoenix pointed out that this thread is older than jesus' sandals lol

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
lol same exact problem here. annoying as hell.

·
Electrical Mod
56,129 Posts
I know I had gotten my window stuck when sideways, so one side was wedged, it just took a lot of force to get it back where it belonged. You can also remove the trim around the window seal and that will give you some room to work with.

·
Registered
360 Posts
do you have a photo of the 4 main rivets, can you drill while its installed on the door or do you have to take it out of the door?

HD-Dave

07 Street Glide
113 CI

2002 Xtreme S-10
I second that request.

I just experienced these symptoms last night.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ditto on the same problem, so I don't roll my window all of the way down. The other day it did it and I pulled the switches up and wiggled the harness and haven't had a problem since, so I am wondering if it is a common thing there maybe. Between the problems with my Blazer Xtreme lately and now my GMC Jimmy, I'm just about ready to unload both of them. Either that or throw the bad onto one by swapping out parts and unloading it

·
Registered
356 Posts
My drivers window does it about twice a year, I just shut it off & when i turn it back on it works again. This also happens to my friends 98 monte carlo, so its not just a s-series thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone remember which size bolts you used to replace the rivets? I'll "borrow" some from work. Kinda wanted to be prepared before I take the door panel off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
my motor popped out one of the rivets... that was enough to jam the window...

i nut and bolt and i now have power driverside window after it being AWOL for 2 years...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts