S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. here is what I have and what I want...

I have a 91 2.5 basic truck. only option on it are a cloth seat Pwr brakes and A/C

So what I want is to add Pwr Steering. My question is... what can I do to get the best steering outta my truck?

I know I need to add Pump, hoses and gear. What gear would I want to use and will fit / bolt right on?? The pump is easy I think all I need is one from pretty much the same year and engine, since there probably isn't any differences in them... BUT I had read something about differences in gears from year to year or 1st gen to 2nd gen. Am I right?? and will the newer model Bolt right on and use the same holes and steering arm?? thanks for any help in this

IctSean

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
I think the zq8 sterring box turns sharper than stock. Need to double check though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok ZQ8?? I really don't know what that means... am new to doin stuff on this truck... and dunno if that is OEM or aftermarket you are talkin about. thanks

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
ZQ8 is a suspension package on the 2nd gen trucks... Unless I'm mistaken, it's the package you get with an Xtreme....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I done this on my 88 years ago...simple bolt on...I had air conditioning and that same bracket holds the pump. This one uses a small pump with a seperate resevoir on the left fender...I made one...cut a neck off an old GM pump and used a piece of driveshaft tubing for the body. Just make sure the return comes in about halfway up the side and turns down and exits the fluid at the bottom and at a little angle so it won't foam. It probably wouldn't have cost much from GM...I just didn't want to wait for it. I couldn't find a 2.5 in the salvage yards "with" power steering..seemed they all were manual. A Camaro gearbox will also fit. The high pressure hose had a fitting for a switch in it...the wire that goes to it is hanging on the firewall underneath the windshield wiper motor....that idled the engine up when the pressure built up, like when it was turning while idling. You don't really need it..works fine without it..even with the air on. I used the hoses from a V6. Hi pressure hose was almost too short but it worked ok...been on it for almost 8 years. I bought some 3/8" and 5/8" hose and ran from the pump to the resevoir. Made life a LOT easier!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts