S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried in the V8 forum and got no responses - but here goes here...
I really need someone to give the model(s) of chevy that would be good donors for a power steering pump and bracket setup that I can use on my '95 now with a 350 in place of the 2.2 - but unusable until I can get this steering deal worked out. I found what I thought was a great neat setup off a Chevy van but it spaces the pump out too far and everything hits the steering box - ARG!!!
Anyone tell me what type of sbc engine they got (and maybe the year and what it came out of) that came with a power steering pump and bracket setup that fit right in with no clearance issues? My 350 was out of a truck and now has double hump heads with no accessory holes for alt or ps attachments. It originally had v belt system and pulleys which I hope to keep intact - it just didn't have a ps pump/bracket setup that i now need badly...

Thanks for all responses - I am getting desperate to get this thing finished before the snow starts flying --- Kevin

·
V8 Member
734 Posts
why cant you just use the one that was stock in your dime? if that dont work then try to get one from a newer 4.3 or so dime. and if that dont work...maybe one out of a fullsize truck will work.

hope that helped

aaron

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P S pump setup

Aaron:

The reason is that the 2.2 ps pump is all together different from any sbc or 4.3 pump in how it mounts or adjusts because it uses serpentine belts and is really oddball compared to others. What I really need isn't the pump because I could get a replacement at any parts store - but the bracketry that mounts it to the block in a good position and distance for pulley alignment. I am assuming that some sbc's mount the pump up and away from the steering box area on a second gen. S10 - but I don't know which ones would do it best and this trial and error junkyard crawling and testing isn't having too much sucess so far.... Thanks - Kevin

·
V8 Member
734 Posts
well in that case then idk what to tell ya. i havnt done a small block swap into a dime before so idk what parts to use and which ones work best.

sorry again.

aaron

·
Registered
750 Posts
I used a remote reservoir pump off of a 2.5 Astro and made my own brackets (You can buy the brackets for about $100)
This is a short waterpump but it could be made to work with a long. This type of pump is common among circle track racers and street rodders.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my bracket bolts on under the front exhaust manifold bolt on driver side and then bottom one bolts to water pump. came off off uhh i believe a 76 nova with a 305 in it. somethin like that hope i helped some. good luck

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...

for your replies - I did another 'tour' of one of the local junk yards and came across a mid eighties Monte Carlo with a small block that had a ps pump which mounted fairly high up and seemed like it was above my steering box height and it was once I got it home and tried it on for size. It bolts to the one of the water pump bosses and I'll have to adapt the other two bracket mounting holes to line up with the #1 header bolt and a water pump bolt - but it looks dooable once I fire up the mig and get to work. Appreciate your assistance and comments - I'm getting down to the short hairs on this and everything now is small stuff that will require some ingenuity to make it appear somewhat clean and stock which was my goal from the outset.... Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts