S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to those that have done the swap, what did you do about the power steering pump, will a 2.8 pump bolt up and work, swap the 350 pump in as well, if you did this was there anything you had to do to the lines or etc?.. we've had to weld the 350 pump tube to the 2.8 tube in the past, theres' gotta be a better way.. ONE more thing, posting pics here, do I have to already need them uploaded them somewhere on the web?..

Secondly, I've got a vette radiator to run, and dual 10" fans to run in front of the radiator, gonna try running w/o flex fan. Running a turbo 350 tranny, this is a swb s-10, the tranny is the 6" tailshaft tranny, can the motor be set up so that I dont have to have driveshaft lengthened or will I need either the 9" tailshaft tranny/or driveshaft from a lwb and have shaft shortened to do that?

Got the motor togather, all parts are in except for my fans which come in wednesday, will be starting the conversion next weekend, and trying to get a general idea from here where I have to go

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the easiest thing to do is try if it doesnt work go from there

·
Registered
26 Posts
well with the thing about the power steering, the lines from the truck went right into the lines for the camaro. one was a high pressure line with a clamp and one was threaded. but the pump looked like it was the same. the bracketry i have is from a TBI camaro 305 which i THINK is a little bit differant then the TPI. but it bolts right in.

·
Registered
484 Posts
p s pump etc....

All I did (I was going from a 2.2 to sbc) was to scour the junk yards for a mid eighties Monte Carlo and swipe a pump/ reservoir and both pressure and return line set up which bolted directly up to my engine block (I have camel hump heads w/no mounting hole in the heads - so I needed it to bolt to the block only) and sat up high and at an angle to clear the steering box perfectly.
Mine is a '95 model so all of the lines were metric and the Monte's lines were as well and perfectly bent to replace the 2.2 ps pump ones and bolted right up - works great - almost too easy.... Kevin

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
All my brackets & accessorys are from a Asro van with a 4.3. They work great. Did not have to weld , bend , or cut anything. I put a late model 350 water pump on the engine because it is a reverse flow pump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i just used a regular small block chevy power steering pump and on the bak it had a big nut around the fittings so i changed them with the originals off the truck so i could use stock lines. With the tranny i think it really depends on if u got a long or short bed truck mines a short bed and i just put the motor and tranny as far bak as it needed to be so i didnt have to have drive shaft work. also i have the short shaft th350 to. hope it made sence and helped out. jwalker

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea that makes sence, I was thinking that I could sit the motor back a good bit and not have to have driveshaft work,

·
Registered
42 Posts
it worked for me was a hella pain in the ass on passenger side to get exhaust to fit and another tight fit on distributor but it worked lol.and if u have to beat alot for distributor to fit dont beat to much cus then ull probaly have to beat it again to get wipers to work and u just might make a big ugly hole right there like me lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts