S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody. have a 2001 sonoma and I want to know if anyone here has tried to retrofit a truck with power door locks. I would think that the set up for power vs non power locks would be similar, just short a few pieces and some wires. Any thoughts? What parts would I be looking for if I wanted to do this. I don't even know what the part would be called, so I don't know where to look. Also, I want to add the keyless entry with the power locks. any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I retrofitted power locks and windows from an 85 Blazer to fit in my '88 S-10 pickup. I realize that you have a second gen, and I don't know a damn thing about the way the doors are set up on those, but I can tell you what I did. I took all of the wiring out in one piece (such a pain, but saves headaches when you get ready to install it) and removed the window motors and door lock actuators. Other than the wiring, switches, and mechanics that would be needed, I also used the plate parts that house the door handles and locks (really only because on the blazer they also house the power lock part). The only problems I ran into were that I needed to drill holes in the inside of my doors and the cab, so I could run wires through them (second gens have speakers, so they probably have this already done) and I had to cut some tin to get at one screw because they changed the framework from 85-88 in a few places. Other than that, the boltholes for the window motors and lock actuators were already in the door, so that was nice. Hopefully for your sake they kept up that practice in the newer versions. I guess thats all I can tell you, hope I helped some....I did all of my stuff with no knowledge of if it would work or not, so if nobody replies try it anyway. Have fun, later,
Spence

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Spenceman. I guess I'll just have to take a look and see what's going on inside there.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
I got power door locks and keyless entry from autoloc.com, they work great.
www.autoloc.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.