S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a direct engine swap from a 99 Tahoe with a 350 5.7L vortec into my 2001 S10 with a 4.3L using the 5.7 computer and all. I was wondering what people thought of the power difference between the engines. I know it's going from around 150hp to around 250hp however I was wondering how much of a difference that actually made. Also, how much does MPG differ from the 4.3L.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
100hp is 100 hp...is that enough for you, or are you going to regret to stepping up to an LS? Your mpg will probably take a hit..maybe because you can't keep your foot out of it, and because it's an old inefficient design.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100hp is 100 hp...is that enough for you, or are you going to regret to stepping up to an LS? Your mpg will probably take a hit..maybe because you can't keep your foot out of it, and because it's an old inefficient design.
My issue is I'm not sure how big of a difference 100hp is going to make because I've never done anything like this before. From what I've read the mpg actually goes up a tad bit. My k1500 with he same engine gets the same mpg as the 4.3 and it's a lot heavier so theoretically it should be a bit better with 5.7?

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
The problem is you gain an equal amount of weight in your right foot as you do in engine weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is you gain an equal amount of weight in your right foot as you do in engine weight.
Okay so if I drive like a normie my mpg might go up? I drive 3 hours away from home twice a week so it would be a lot of 80mph cruise control probably.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,221 Posts
a 4.3 is a little under 200hp,around 180-190ish..,a 5.7 vortec is around 250hp...a 2.2 allegedly has around 120hp,..

if you towed trailers or something it would be a great upgrade. If you wanna be fast you’ll be disappointed. 50h-60hp is extremely noticeable tho. the little bit of added weight will easily be compensated for by that extra hp,fuel economy idk...low end power,most definitely.

The difference in a 2.2 S10 and 4.3 s10 are enormous...the 4.3 it a LOT heavier then a 2.2. but is around 70 more hp...very noticeable. I own both version s10’s. The 4.3 models are way better to drive..I can imagine a 5.7 being just about perfect. That 5.3 tho...I’d probably get pulled over a lot more often..

·
Been there Done it
8,191 Posts
You won't feel the HP change nearly as much as you will the increase in torque. Around town and up to around 40 mph it will feel much stronger. Passing on the freeway won't feel much different.

You'll need to repin the 0411 PCM in the truck to work with the 5.7 and have it programmed as an Express van with a 5.7. The 99 Tahoe computer would be a step backward and you can't just plop it into the 2 year newer S10. That only works if they're the same year and since the Tahoe had an LS 5.3 in 2001 there isn't one for a 5.7. I did a Tahoe into S10 swapping of computers on my 98 because they were identical computers with just different programming. 99 to 99 works and 00 to 00 if the Tahoe had a 5.7. I think only the early production ones did. They were 5.3 later and used a different PCM.

Think an administrator could move this from 1st gens forum to the V8 discussion forum?

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMHO, it's gonna be substantial and I agree that the torque will make the most difference. In theory, your MPG should go up but that is assuming you'll drive like you have some sense, which I have never been able to do in any vehicle I've owned with a V8 and dual exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You won't feel the HP change nearly as much as you will the increase in torque.
I just this is swap and the above quote is correct.

Put it this way. There is a highway by me that has many hills and was happy how little effort it took my blazer to go over the hills compared to the 4.3. That alone was satisfaction of doing the swap.....or maybe this is all my imagination.

I remember during the 4.3 days I used to give it a lot of gas when going down hill to allow me to pick up speed/momentum for the up coming incline lol.

·
Been there Done it
8,191 Posts
I also notice the trans down shifts less often on inclines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts