S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I had a set of wheels coated. $55 each for blasting and the coating so $220 for the set (19x8's)

well I got them back and the powder is not super smooth on them (they are black) I was told it was "wet look" black and wiould be a high gloss. well they are shiny and great 5 footers but up close you can see the surface is no "glass smooth" but REAL fine ripples in it. plus I found some sags on them in places.

I assume the ripples (you really have to get up on them to see them.....like within 30" of the wheel) are from either a improper cure cycle or cheap powder. I don't know if it worth asking for a refinish if they are gonna look the same (the shop owner thought it was the best they could ever come out looking) so I don't know if I am better off asking for a partial refund rework or just shelling out another $300 for a different shop to do it?

oh there were some simulated bolts on the rim edge. they were foam taped in and he didn't remove the foam tape from the holes all the way and some of th ecast in lettering has some runs coming from them (baked sitting on edge and not flat)

am I outta line here or what? the guy said he was tons better than the other guy ever time I have been in there.

·
Frame Laying Member
2,068 Posts
i'm not sure where your from but around here that would be a steal to to 4 rims. so you kinda get what you pay for. i use to work at a powdercoating place almost a year ago now. the reason for it not being shiny is they probally put the powder on to dry. with powder it's hard to find that fine line between just enough powder and to much to where it starts dripping. if you ask to have them redone and they same guy sprays them, your probally gonna get the same out come. or they could just be using shitty powder. i would bitch to him first and see if he offers to fix it, if not i'd find another coating. but around here your lucky to find anyone to coat rims for less 100 bucks a rim.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Gcash, the power coaters in your area are trying to get rich qiuck, $75 should be the top price to do each wheel, unless they need a lot of prep work or you want some premium color. $55 would be the basic sand blast and coar price in my area. A lot of the fininsh issue mighy have to do with what they blasted it with

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it isn't an orange peel finish but looks like little worms or something.

also was looking at the spindles on my way to work today and noticed they coated where the grease seals ride and the flat surface the wheel bearing butts up to so not I have to grind back and polish up that surface.

The kicker is that when they were ready he called saying they were alot of extra work and wanted another $50 for them.....yet he didn't even clean the foam tape off the pockets form the simulated bolt heads!

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
mine look like that too. sometimes it's the metal underneath ( in my case )

i got my center of my wheels sandblasted for $12.50 a wheel. and powder coated for $125 total (i think either 125 or 135 i can't remember.) he powder coated the centers, plus the entire back of the wheel, easier to clean that way!

·
Registered
797 Posts
We charge $65-$75 per wheel to coat, and sandblasting is $130/hour (not done by us and he can do a set in an hour or less). We generally do a light coat, gel, then apply a normal coat and cure. Of course that is after being pretreated. Prices are canadian, which isn't too far off now ;P Sorry to hear about your wheels.

·
Frame Laying Member
2,068 Posts
Gcash, the power coaters in your area are trying to get rich qiuck, $75 should be the top price to do each wheel, unless they need a lot of prep work or you want some premium color. $55 would be the basic sand blast and coar price in my area. A lot of the fininsh issue mighy have to do with what they blasted it with
i'm gonna start send my stuff out by u then to get stuff coated. alot of the rims we did were aluminum, so we had to change the type of media we used to blast them with and most of them had a coating on them that had to chemically stripped off first. i remember doing a set of gm ralleys gloss black and i think he charged 65 bucks a rim to do those.

·
Registered
506 Posts
well it isn't an orange peel finish but looks like little worms or something.
sounds like they had the kv's too high and got too close to the wheel to me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts