S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
You got some undercut and what not in there. but looks pretty good tho. I assume your running spray looking at your weld and equipment ( when else do you need a drum of wire ha). So what are you making in the photo?

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Self taught but i have confidence in my welds.

i didnt weld that crappy one on the edge of the corner but the rest was me.
its a hinge for a fence with a bit of undercut.

There can be some improvement here.

welded in my bolt in notch, i should have done an uphill weld but i dont have too much practice doing that technique so i did a downhill instead, from what i hear it doesn't penetrate as much.

either way i have seen worse lol. always looking for ways to improve my welds, its something i take pride in, especially on a vehicle when suspension is involved.

·
Bagged
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had some undercut for sure, needed to run a stringer first. Its a coupler for a front end loader, the part that hooks to the bucket, We make all sorts of heavy construction stuff where I work. Coupler area is the best, always a different piece, lots of turns, not just a bunch of 10ft long welds, some multi pass welds too. Spray transfer is the shit, besides the heat it puts off.

bean dip they look good, I am self taught. A lot of guys I work with that are welders are self taught, most of them actually. Makes me feel good when I weld something that looks better than a guy who went to school and has been doing it longer.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
I remember the thread but wouldnt hurt having a new one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just got a job welding heres where I am no formal training after three weeks. Pics of what I weld and my welder too.
You got a job as a welder, doing structural welds on heavy equipment with no prior welding experience at all, on the job or otherwise? Please tell me what company you work for so I can avoid it.

That looks like a robotic welder. More pics?

In the other thread you said you worked in the grinding department.

Mathius

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
you want even lapping close lapping.. together keeping the molten pool going with small circles like chevy power's. I love love love metal. Love the smell of welding and cutoff saws and plasma cutting.. I grew up round the shit. Something that if you are not around or don't know about.. wouldn't know about. Good looking welds, and a great thread!

·
Registered
249 Posts
well i passed mine. but all you have to do for mig is a 6in vertical up pulsed spray weld which consists of 3 passes. and it costs 85 dollars for the certification plate. im pretty sure that there is a seperate one for mig welding aluminum also.

·
selfmade__brandon
1,592 Posts
i just graduated from Hobart welding school. ill post up what weldments i have laying around still tomorrow. And the TCI front clip i welded on a 66 fastback at work

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Welded with a lincoln 170. I am self taught too.

The welds were ground down and redone on this pic. I had a hard time getting the settings right for the sch80 for some reason.

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
ill throw a few up.

308 Stick rods, on 5/8" steel plate. Dont ask why i used a stainless rod on carbon steel. Was just doing what i was told. I tried talking them into letting me use a 7024, but nope. 308 it was. stupid considering the rest of the assembly was done with a 7024 or 7018.

Some mig work on a frame i was building for a hardbody. Still haven't finished it yet.

Some tig aluminum passes i made when i first got my tig welder

some beer cans that needed to be welded together:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Them are some sweet welds

1 - 20 of 265 Posts